kdm_config messages after 11.4 upgrade?

My /var/log/message log file is filling-up with these messages:

Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of section [General] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of section [Xdmcp] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of section [X-*-Core] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of section [X-*-Greeter] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them.
Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of key 'UseTheme' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
Mar 25 09:55:37 gzunder kdm_config[9818]: Multiple occurrences of section [X-:0-Core] in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. Consider merging them

Running grep -v “^#” /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc I get this:

[General]
ConfigVersion=2.4
SUSEConfigVersion=2
StaticServers=:0
ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
ServerVTs=-7
ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6

[Xdmcp]

[Shutdown]

[X-*-Core]
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-%d

[X-*-Greeter]
LogoPixmap=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/pics/kdelogo.png
MinShowUID=500
MaxShowUID=65000
ForgingSeed=1300937958
UseTheme=true

[X-:*-Core]

[X-:*-Greeter]
PreselectUser=Previous
FocusPasswd=true
LoginMode=DefaultLocal
AllowClose=false

[X-:0-Core]
TerminateServer=true
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors

[X-:93-Core]
TerminateServer=true

[X-:0-Greeter]

Can anyone suggest how to “merge” this file to prevent the messages? Is the section [X--Core]
really the same as [X-[b]:
-Core] (there’s an extra":" in the latter)?

Regards, Martin

I see that I have the same problem here on 11.4 and 11.3 computers. For section like [X-:-Core] which has no options turned on, just delete the section or comment out the line. For sections like [X-:-Greeter], copy the lines from the second section in to the first then delete or comment out lines. Make sure you copy all the comment lines in the section, also make a copy of kdmrc first. I am trying to find a computer that does not have any one logged on to test fixing the file. I will have to get back with you on this. The 11.3 laptop I found that had a duplicate does not want to startx, I am just getting a blank screen.

Dave W

Ok, it apears that Nvidia broke their driver again. had to switch back to the nv driver. I combined the two [X-:-Greeter] sections and did not see any errors in /var/log/messages after reboot. The lap top only had duplicate [X-:-Greeter] sections. You should be able to copy all of the lines, except for the header, from the second section section in to the first then delete the second section.

Dave W.

Hi Dave,

Still a little unclear on your instructions. My incompetence, not your advice - I’m afraid!

So, which sections should I keep? The ones with the colon’s or the ones without?
Do I keep (with additions from below) [X-*-Greeter] (no colon)
and rem out (and copy active flags to above) [X-:*-Greeter] (colon)

Or the other way around?

Regards, Martin

I am sorry I did not look that close, just saw -Greeter. I guess the parser sees -- and -:- as the same thing. I copied -:- to -- and commented out -:- header. I did not get any errors about having wrong options in -*-Greeter.

I tried deleting the kdmrc file to see if KDM would recreate it. just got and error saying config file not found, but KDM still came up.

I think that every thing in the kdmrc file is the default. You could delete the kdmrc file and create a blank one and not see any errors on boot and KDM and KDE would work the same.

The one box I chacked that did not have any errors, was one I just upgraded from 11.2 and I using the old kdmrc file from that install. It was a custom file having two consoles.

Dave