wlan0 is not working with NetworkManager, but works fine with ifup.

Hi All!

I have a problem: I made office wireless network working (WPA-PSK) with few clicks in yast, but it’s not working with NetworkManager at all, no matter what I tried.

My configuration:
OpenSUSE 11.4, KDE 4.6.1 from releases, kernel (tried both default and desktop), installed all intel-wireless related packages (detected as Intel 6000 family).
Dell Latitude E6410.

Here is the NetworkManager log, message repeated forever:

Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state:  starting -> ready
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): bringing up device.
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: (nm-device-wifi.c:3782):real_set_enabled: runtime check failed: (priv->supplicant.iface == NULL)
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): taking down device.

Here is the /var/log/messages at exactly same time:

Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state:  starting -> ready
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): bringing up device.
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: (nm-device-wifi.c:3782):real_set_enabled: runtime check failed: (priv->supplicant.iface == NULL)
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi kernel:  5419.380184] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi NetworkManager[11651]: <info> (wlan0): taking down device.
Mar 25 12:03:00 sbaiduzhyi kernel:  5419.608243] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

KDE NetworkManager plasmoid reloads about 3 times a second, making any context menu in system tray absolutely unusable.

My bad, this thread should go to wireless forum. Move it please.

Try this first:

Configure and use Networkmanager-GNOME in KDE4 to avoid serious issues with WiFi/UMTS.

And then reply if it helped. Helps in a lot of strangely different setups and situations.

Best regards.

Hello,

did you configure kwalletmanager?, its necessary to handle WiFi keys for Networkmanager.

From KDE menu System Settings -> Account Detail -> Wallet

Regards

kwallet is enabled and configured. Looks like it’s really problem with kde networkmanager. Works perfectly with cnetworkmanager. I don’t want to use gnome applet in KDE env, but looks like I’ll have to eventually…

Try the network manager plasmoid first :slight_smile: See this thread for reference :
Knetworkmanager not start on login

Best regards,
Greg

Of course, I worked with plasmoid only since SUSE 11.2. This time I tried default one first, it just showed none of my configured wireless connections. Then I worked with plasmoid - the same story, plus it makes many other plamoids unusable. That’s really strange because it worked fine in 11.3 with wired connections…

This is very strange indeed. I don’t experience any of this problems in 11.4 and didn’t have them in 11.3 as well. Maybe somethings broken in your install ? How did You upgrade ? What are your repositories ? Did You try this with the default 11.4 KDE version ?

Best regards,
Greg

Thanx for your interest.

I am using KDE 4.6.1 from Releases, with krusader from playground. Mainly because of *-debuginfo packages. Tryed networkmanager-related packages from playground too, but it didn’t got better, so I reverted them back to core. Maybe today will try to create configuration with gnome applet, then will check if KDE’s will work with that configuration.

But did You try with KDE 4.6.0 ?

Best regards,
Greg

Just a thought…

AFAIK you can only have one Desktop(GUI) Network Manager running at a time. If you can get one working, then you <must> disable (not just stop) the application before you can try another. In fact, I almost would suggest uninstalling every other Desktop Network Manager but the one you intend to run at a time.

I’m also curious about the first logfile you posted… Have you tried running wpa_supplicant from the command line? Try doing that, I suspect that you already have a ready entry in wpa_supplicant.conf complete with your hashed passphrase. If no entry has already been created for you and/or can’t figure out how to run wpa_supplicant from the CLI, post back if you need help how to hash your passphrase and create a proper entry.

FYI - AFAIK Knetwork Manager is only a GUI shell using wpa_supplicant except that although the hashed passphrase is written to wpa_supplicant.conf stores and reads the passphrase from Kwallet by default (which borders on illogical and unnecessary to me). Verifying wpa_supplicant works on its own should greatly narrow down where your problem is.

Tony