Some kde apps won't work after downgrading 11.4->11.3

Hi,

after being not so satisfied with opensuse 11.4 (worked really slow at times), i decided to downgrade to 11.3. But now, some applications won’t start.

When starting personal kontact, i only got a notification that akonadi server is starting but it doesn’t progress. Only thing I can do is to kill the app.Same for Clementine (amarok-like player), but here it doesn’t even try to start.

So, I was thinking to delete all the settings folders concerning these apps in my home folder, but it doesn’t change anything. I did so by searching for kmail kontact and clementine and erased those folders. Could it be that I forgot some? Some folders under some different names? I’m not really experienced into this subject.

Maybe there could also be a different cause of the problems with these specific programs?

thanx in advance

On 03/25/2011 11:06 AM, sonicboy wrote:
>
> i decided to downgrade to 11.3.

how did you downgrade?

i’m not aware of a way to downgrade from 11.4 to 11.3 and NOT have
problems…

> Maybe there could also be a different cause of the problems with these
> specific programs?

my guess would be a hosed system…

unless you a better way to “downgrade” here is how i would do it on my
machine:

-backup all data to off machine medium
-fresh format install the version desired
-fully update it
-install/update all applications desired
-copy saved data to new system (note: this is NOT the same as copying
in all configurations from your old home…do NOT do that…instead,
copy in the data [music, movies, letters, emails, spreadsheets, etc
etc etc]

an even easier way would be to just restore from the full back up you
made before you ‘upgraded’…

on the other hand, there are probably others here with different
opinions…and, mine absolutely is an opinion (which differs from both
fact and advice)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Although DenverD gives you actually proper way to “downgrade”, i can imagine you wouldn’t want to go through all that. In that case i would suggest to uninstall and then reinstall apps that you know that are not working.

You could try running apps from konsole, e.g.: clementine,
and see what comes out.

On 2011-03-25 11:06, sonicboy wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> after being not so satisfied with opensuse 11.4 (worked really slow at
> times), i decided to downgrade to 11.3. But now, some applications won’t
> start.

You should have restored the backup of 11.3 that you should have done prior
to the upgrade. Doing a zypper dup to downgrade is not reliable.

> So, I was thinking to delete all the settings folders concerning these
> apps in my home folder, but it doesn’t change anything. I did so by
> searching for kmail kontact and clementine and erased those
> folders. Could it be that I forgot some? Some folders under some
> different names? I’m not really experienced into this subject.

Try with a new user.

> Maybe there could also be a different cause of the problems with these
> specific programs?

You would have to verify the entire list of packages, looking for packages
coming from the wrong version, perhaps ssby judiciously using rpm -qa
–queryformat …

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

This is output when starting clementine:

clementine: symbol lookup error: clementine: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii

and this for kontact:

Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)                                                                              
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)                                                                              
[akonadiserver] search paths:  ("/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/usr/bin/X11", "/usr/X11R6/bin", "/usr/games", "/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin", "/opt/real/RealPlayer", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin")                                                                        
[akonadiserver] Found mysql_install_db:  "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db"                                                                                                                
[akonadiserver] Found mysqlcheck:  "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck"                                                                                                                            
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.                                                                                                                                  
"/usr/bin/kontact(5325)" Error in thread 140515016894304 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"                                                                                                                                                                        
"/usr/bin/kontact(5325)" Error in thread 140515016894304 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"                                                                            
"/usr/bin/kontact(5325)" Error in thread 140515016894304 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kontact(5325)" Error in thread 140515016894304 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
kontact(5325) KMKernel::recoverDeadLetters: Autosave directory "/home/wouter/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/autosave/cur" not found! 
kontact(5325)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file "/home/wouter/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-kmail.rc" 
kontact(5325)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::init: Akonadi Client Session: connection config file ' akonadi/akonadiconnectionrc can not be found in ' "/home/wouter/.config" ' nor in any of  ("/etc/xdg", "/etc") 
kontact(5325)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused" 
kontact(5325)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused" 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=243;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 960 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=244;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 960 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=245;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 955 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=246;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 955 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=247;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 955 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=248;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 955 
kontact(5325)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimetype() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("imaps://wjveenoo@mail.ugent.be:993/INBOX/;UID=249;SECTION=BODY.PEEK]") data size = 953 
<unknown program name>(5324)/: Communication problem with  "kontact" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." " 

wouter@linux-t8wp:~$ kontact(5325)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused" 
(This line repeats itself continuously)

thanx for help

On 2011-03-27 11:06, sonicboy wrote:

> thanx for help

You probably still have parts from 11.4

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Create a new user and see what happens then. You could also try and delete the content of /tmp directory, but be cautious you should know what you are doing.