Screen & keyboard freezes often, SuseLinux 11.3, KDE4

Hi all,

about a month ago, I installed SuseLinux 11.3 on my Lenovo T410 and I am using KDE4. Since then, I have the following problem:

The screen freezes suddenly and the keyboard doesn’t work anymore. I can move the mouse cursor, but clicking doesn’t work. Funny enough, the sound still works. The only way to restart the laptop is by pushing the power button for 10 seconds.

So far, there was no real pattern about the ‘when does that happen?’. It happens sometimes when I am surfing on ‘innocent’ webpages like wikipedia or spiegel.de, not very often while watching Youtube. Once it happened when I was only using Kile for LaTex. It happened while I was experimenting with Kdenlive. Another time when I opened 2 VCL player in order to watch 2 videos simultanously.

Sometimes there are days without trouble, sometimes I have to restart the laptop 5 times (like today…). Is there a way to find out what is actually wrong? And how to get rid of the problem? (How do I create a proper bug report of these incidents?)

Best & thanks,

Sonja

PS: It sounds silly, but — how do I actually close threads in this forum? I started 2 in January which are ‘out of date’ by now…

Just a couple of questions. After the installation, did you update to the most recent kernel and then reboot? Second, is there a reason you went for openSUSE 11.3 over the newest openSUSE 11.4? Of course, 11.3 is still support and will be until next year and so that is OK. Further, last year some problems like you suggest were reported and thought to be an issue with one of the kernel updates which was later fixed. My main computer is still running openSUSE 11.3 without a problem, so it is possible to update any such issues away, but we might need to know more about your computer hardware, 32 or 64 bit, video type and so forth.

Thank You,

Thanks for your answer!

We installed Suse 11.3 beginning of February 2011, Suse 11.4 wasn’t released until 2 weeks ago… thus I ended up with Suse 11.3. After installing Suse 11.3, I am updating patches from

Packman repository
Updates for openSuse
libdvdcss repository
openSuse-11.3-OssopenSuse-11.3-Oss
openSuse-11.3-debug
opensuse-11.3-Non-oss
opensuse-11.3-Oss
opensuse-11.3-Source

If I run uname -a, I get

sonja@linux-66mg:~> uname -a
Linux linux-66mg.site 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-12-13 11:13:53 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
sonja@linux-66mg:~>

Current user: sonja@linux-66mg.site
System: openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) “release 3”

Display Info
Vendor: nVidia Corporation
Model:
2D driver: nouveau
3D driver: nouveau Gallium (7.8.2)

CPU Information
Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Core™ i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz
Speed: 1,199.00 MHz
Cores: 4
Temperature: 51 °C

Best & Thanks,

Sonja

hi
I would install the cloesed source nvidia-driver for the graphics-card SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

the Nouveau is good but not always up to the task. Can’t promise that the Nvidia driver will do the trick though, I’m still a Puzzled Penguin!

good luck!

The Linux kernel version 2.6.34.7-0.7 is the most recent released for openSUSE 11.3. Since you do have an nVIDIA GPU, sonja2011 suggestion to consider loading the proprietary video driver is a good one I think. I normally load the nVIDIA driver the hard way, as it is called. Here is a pointer to an article on the subject:

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

I even have a script file to help in that effort you can get here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3

Message #12 has the most recent version of the bash script file lnvhw. You start by going to Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and download the most recent video driver from their site. Good Luck.

Thank You,