Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

Default Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

As some of you may know i have the new Opensuse 11.4 KDE 4.6 64bit Now I am not exactly sure why but randomly my computer will lock up and freeze. To the best of my knowledge it seems to happen when I have a lot of programs running. Anyway I can monitor this and display the actual error? My hardware is in my Sig. Thank you =)
    Laptop: openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8/AMD A8-3500m/16g Ram/128 SSD/6620g+6750m

Default Re: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

Jerry, there are a slew of other forums about this, none of which have a valid solution.
    Some solutions:
    Boot with "nomodeset" as a boot option.
    Disable all desktop effects.
    Use proprietary drivers (least likely to work)

There are a bunch of threads in "Laptops" and a few in "64-Bit" if you want to peruse them. I suggest filing a bug report.
    If you want to monitor (which hasn't been fruitful, but you can try) open up a terminal and run "top" and then proceed to use openSuse. When the computer lock-ups you can see all your running processes, etc.
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Thank you for that all the solutions you have mentioned I have done and I will take a look around the forums! Hopefully I can get this fixed thanks for the reply!

If you've tried all of that, please file a bug report: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

Quote Originally Posted by bsilvereagle View Post
    If you've tried all of that, please file a bug report: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    There is already a bug report on this, here https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=680748

Default Απ: Re: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry421 View Post
    Thank you for that all the solutions you have mentioned I have done and I will take a look around the forums! Hopefully I can get this fixed thanks for the reply!
    Hello Jerry stamos here we have fixed this problem and now are all ok.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

@stamostolias thanks for assisting me with figuring it out took a bit but from the best of our knowledge it is fixed now

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry421 View Post
    @stamostolias thanks for assisting me with figuring it out took a bit but from the best of our knowledge it is fixed now
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Opensuse 11.4 random freezing.

The bug report posted above very specifically says "Nvidia"
    Is there one for ATI?

Quote Originally Posted by bsilvereagle View Post
    Jerry, there are a slew of other forums about this, none of which have a valid solution.
    Some solutions:
    Boot with "nomodeset" as a boot option.
    Disable all desktop effects.
    Use proprietary drivers (least likely to work)

There are a bunch of threads in "Laptops" and a few in "64-Bit" if you want to peruse them. I suggest filing a bug report.
    If you want to monitor (which hasn't been fruitful, but you can try) open up a terminal and run "top" and then proceed to use openSuse. When the computer lock-ups you can see all your running processes, etc.
    nomodeset , why is that option for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast