Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Broadband

Default Mobile Broadband

Hello!

I am newbie in Linux I used Linux Mint, now I want to try suse. I downloaded the opensuse 11.4 CD KDE version.
    Now I have a problem because I dont know to configure internet connection. I have ZTE Mf622 UMTS/HSDPA USB modem.

I founded this: Mobile Broadband Connection

When I selected .

Select User Controlled with Networkmanager

I was able to use the MobileBroadban connection tab but cant configure.
    I unchecked IPV6, nothing.

According to this:

openSUSE starter: Step 2. Need mobile broadband? Use the GNOME applet

I must use Networkmanager-GNOME, but I have no internet on Suse so I cant download it.

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

Default Re: Mobile Broadband

Robicika,

Welcome to openSuse. I personally use wvdial (command line) for my dial up connections and avoid NetworkManager and any plasmoids/applets. In order to use wvdial, you need to know the number of your modem, the number dialed, and how the remote server authenticates you. You would need to download wvdial as a *.rpm on another machine and carry over.
    If this is not an option, kppd should already be on your hard drive and it is usable as well.
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Thanks for advice!

Can you tell me where to look for number of modem, and how the remote server authenticates me?

I will suggest you to use gnome-network manager in kde. When I was in Kubuntu ( runing, now ubuntu), I had difficulties in configuring my modem with kde network manager. But I had no problem with gnome-network manager.

Yes, but I cant install itt because I have no Internet.

I downloaded the rpm-s with mint but I cant install it, I don't know why. I mark folder to software repository but it only recognize 2 package, and the others I can't install.

I found out the authorization and number through Windows in the Network Settings pane. But that doesn't seem to be an option for you. It may be in the settings of the PPP client (dial-up client) you're using in Mint. Do a google on your carrier because I doubt you will find your username and password in the settings. Just a "dial up <carrier> username and password" should do. Mine happened to be my 9 digit phone number @carrrier.com with a password of "noauth". Good luck.
    I completely forgot that 11.4 is having issues installing packages from *.rpms. It attempts to re-download and that isn't going to work for you. .....I hate to say this, but try 11.3 if only so you can install a good dial-up client from an *.rpm.

*Open up a terminal and type "kppp" and then "kpppd" and see if either is a valid program.

OK! Thanks for help! I give it a try!

Hello! I succed in installing the gnome network manager, first post from opensuse!
    Thanks for help!

Cool Re: Mobile Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Robicika View Post
    Hello! I succed in installing the gnome network manager, first post from opensuse!
    Thanks for help!
    Hi, I am happy you succeeded in installing the NM-APPLET. Did you use the guide openSUSE starter: Step 2. Need mobile broadband? Use the GNOME applet
    (as I understand from your first post)?

I am trying to get the guide as easy and as universal as possible. If you have any remarks, please report.

Best regards.
    I am daddy, u r son - I am now and u r gone!! [MC Hammer - They put me in the mix]

in case someone else has the problem, did you downgrade to 11.3 or did you solve the problem some other way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast