Thread: openSUSE 11.4 won't boot after installing new motherboard

Default openSUSE 11.4 won't boot after installing new motherboard

Hi,

After installing a new motherboard msi k9m6pgm2-v2 openSUSE 11.4 64 won't boot.

This is what happens ---------

The computer boots normally

The grub menu appears as usual

I select opensuse & press Enter

The boot splash appears......but the progress bar stays still for a few secs ...... then the following appears

Code:
    Waiting for device /dev/disk/byid/ata-ST-[something something] part1 to appear ....................couldn't find /dev/disk/byid/ata-ST-[something something] part1

Want me to fall back to dev [something something] Y/n ?

When I press enter 

$
    Then I press ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

Is there a way to fix this or do I have install openSUSE all over again ?

Please reply.
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 won't boot after installing new motherboard

Are you sure that your hard disk is correctly plugged in? Does it appear in BIOS setup? You have to use the same storage mode in BIOS setup that you were using on the other mainboard: AHCI/SATA as IDE/Legacy. Names may vary depending on mainboards brands and models. It is also possible that - as a consequence of the mainboard(controller) change - your hard disk got called (prefixed) differently.

The fix is to make sure that you harddisk is connected (to the right SATA port), that you are using AHCI mode assuming you were using it before (some mainboards still don't set it by default) and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab if it appears to be necessary.

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 won't boot after installing new motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Are you sure that your hard disk is correctly plugged in? Does it appear in BIOS setup? .
    Yes, I checked, it is visible in bios.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    It is also possible that - as a consequence of the mainboard(controller) change - your hard disk got called (prefixed) differently.

The fix is to make sure that you harddisk is connected (to the right SATA port), that you are using AHCI mode assuming you were using it before (some mainboards still don't set it by default) and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab if it appears to be necessary.
    I was too excited to try out the mainboard so I just resintalled openSUSE & everything is fine now.

Thanks a lot for you reply.
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.