Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cannot open "executables"?

Default cannot open "executables"?

I recently installed 11.4. It's awesome. But when I tried to run opensong portable from my flash drive--the same file that I ran in openSUSE 11.3--it gives this dialog:

There is no application installed that can open files of the type executable (application/x-executable).
    Do you want to try to install one?

When I clicked "Install", it opened up yast and installed "TrackBalls", a game. I don't know how trackballs is supposed to help me run opensong.

What am I missing? There should be no reason that I can't run this linux executable, right?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: cannot open "executables"?

This looks like a Windows app from the .paf.exe suffix. It won't work on Linux. Not everything in SF runs on Linux. In addition it looks like nothing has been worked on since 2009.

On 03/23/2011 05:06 AM, ken yap wrote:
    >
    > This looks like a Windows app from the .paf.exe suffix. It won't work on
    > Linux. Not everything in SF runs on Linux. In addition it looks like
    > nothing has been worked on since 2009.

since he says "the same file that I ran in openSUSE 11.3" i _guess_ on
    11.3 he had WINE installed as well as it and the desktop/system
    configured so that .exe automatically were opened by WINE..

maybe..

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

No. It's not a Windows executable. It's the Linux executable from the .deb archive here: downloads [OpenSong.org]. It ran in Ubuntu and openSUSE 11.3 and I have never installed Wine. What makes it portable is that you don't have to install the .deb. You just extract the executable onto a flash drive. So, I've got the Windows executable and the Linux executable on the same flash drive so I can run the same presentations on different computers.

Blog Entries

Well I find it confusing, because it seems that there are two SF projects: opensong and opensong portable. Since you wrote opensong portable, I went to the website for that and only found an old .paf.exe.

At the SF opensong project I only see a DEB package, which is for Debian/Ubuntu. I don't know if you can convert it to a RPM. However there is no guarantee that an executable compiled for Debian/Ubuntu will run on openSUSE. In fact that is no guarantee that a given executable will run on any platform other than the distro and release it was compiled for. Worst comes to worst you could build from the .tar.gz I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEwok View Post
    I recently installed 11.4. It's awesome. But when I tried to run opensong portable from my flash drive--the same file that I ran in openSUSE 11.3--it gives this dialog:

There is no application installed that can open files of the type executable (application/x-executable).
    Do you want to try to install one?

When I clicked "Install", it opened up yast and installed "TrackBalls", a game. I don't know how trackballs is supposed to help me run opensong.

What am I missing? There should be no reason that I can't run this linux executable, right?

Thanks.
    Try to make a "Link to application ..." with the path to the executable as command in Konqueror or Dolphin. And/Or place it in your Kmenu.

At the SF opensong project I only see a DEB package, which is for Debian/Ubuntu. I don't know if you can convert it to a RPM.
    In oS 11.3, it didn't matter. I don't need to install on my computer, so it doesn't need to be RPM. I just had to open the DEB in Ark and grab the one file, the executable application, and put it on a flash drive. And I could run it from the flash drive in openSUSE 11.3. (That's what I meant by "portable"). But in 11.4, it's not working.

Try to make a "Link to application ..." with the path to the executable as command in Konqueror or Dolphin. And/Or place it in your Kmenu.
    Could you tell me how to do that? Or point me to a web page that would show how?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEwok View Post
    Could you tell me how to do that? Or point me to a web page that would show how?
    Presuming you are on KDE ...

Use Dolphin and navigate to your Desktop folder. Right-click, select "Create new", then "Link to application ...". In the dialog window that comes up, you give your custom application link a name and specify the path of the executable that you mention as the command.

Similar with the Menu Editor, only that you right-click on the KMenu, or what it is called, and then create an entry in your applications menu. (Alt+F2 and 'kmenuedit' works too).

*Maybe* that works. It is more a guess than anything else.

The "Link" didn't work. I created it on the Desktop, and when I click, it gives this message:

KDEInit could not launch '/media/SWISSMEMORY/OpenSong/opensong'.

I guess I just assumed that a linux executable file should open on any distribution of linux, but I guess I should put the issue to the opensong forums.

On 03/22/2011 07:36 PM, MisterEwok wrote:
    >
    > I recently installed 11.4. It's awesome. But when I tried to run
    > opensong portable from my flash drive--the same file that I ran in
    > openSUSE 11.3--it gives this dialog:
    >
    > There is no application installed that can open files of the type
    > executable (application/x-executable).
    > Do you want to try to install one?
    >
    > When I clicked "Install", it opened up yast and installed "TrackBalls",
    > a game. I don't know how trackballs is supposed to help me run
    > opensong.
    >
    > What am I missing? There should be no reason that I can't run this
    > linux executable, right?
    >
    > Thanks.

Is the execute bit set on the file?
    Is the flash drive mounted noexec?