Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install opensuse 11.4 on notebook

Arrow Can't install opensuse 11.4 on notebook

Hi,

Came into possession of my dad's old hp notebook (HP520) and want to install some linux distro on it to use it for basic web browsing and word processing. After a bit of research decided to begin with opensuse.

Only problem i cant seem to install it on the notebook. The dvd drive is dead and hence i wanted to install suse through a usb drive (2GB). Downloaded the appropriate live CD and used it to make a bootable usb disk as per instructions on opensuse.org. The drive boots up fine but no matter what i do i the next screen is always a black screen with a blinking underscore and nothing seems to happen. However compatibility reports indicate that suse should install hassle free and everything should work!

Already attempted text mode and safe settings installations. Nothing has worked so far. XP seems to run perfectly fine on it.

Here's the cpu-z report for the laptop if that's any help:
    report.txt

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't install opensuse 11.4 on notebook

The drive boots up fine
    You mean you get the boot screen menu?

How much RAM do you have?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes i get the option to install, or use the live installation from the usb. However doing either will leave me at a blank screen after loading the kernel.

Ram is 512 mb ddr2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptilinux View Post
    Came into possession of my dad's old hp notebook (HP520) and want to install some linux distro on it to use it for basic web browsing and word processing. After a bit of research decided to begin with opensuse.

Here's the cpu-z report for the laptop if that's any help:
    report.txt
    Its possible openSUSE-11.4 does not like the Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset in that laptop.

Try to force the fbdev driver initially when installing. You can do that by typing 'nomodeset' (no quotes) in that very 1st boot menu that appears.

[click on the above example for a larger view]

... its possible you do not have enough memory for a liveUSB graphic install ?

I assume its possible to do a text install from a liveUSB and if so, there may be sufficient guidance here: Text mode install from liveCD

Still no luck none of the methods gets me past the 2nd screen with the "Loading linux kernel" message.

The kernel will load to 100% and I get a black screen, cant input at all. The only way out is to restart the laptop.
    The only thing that works from the boot menu is the memory test.

Same problem my laptop is MSI EX620 my video is mobility radeon 3470.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazy7o View Post
    Same problem my laptop is MSI EX620 my video is mobility radeon 3470.
    With a radeon HD 3470 you MUST use the 'nomodeset' boot code , or the Safe Settings selection.

I have laptop dell 1749 with ati 5650HD and nomodeset just allow to next step -> startup smartd and then frezee help!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sash123456 View Post
    I have dell 1749 whit ati 5650HD and nomodeset just allow to next step -> startup smartd and then frezee help!!!
    Try booting with either the boot code 'x11failsafe' or selecting SafeSettings or FailSafe.

ok i will try this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast