Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Ubuntu section to grub on 11.4

Default Adding Ubuntu section to grub on 11.4

Trying to add a section in grub to boot a Ubuntu 10.10 from a partition, and can enter all the info OK, but it won't save it.
    It has an issue with the kernel and ram files not being where configured, but I tell it to save them anyway. When I go back in the section hasn't been saved...??

Have tried in YAST (cli) and Yast2 - same result.
    Thanks, John.
    It's the little things...

i5/16GB
    openSuse Leap15.3 / KDE Plasma 5.18.6
    Linux Counter 130995

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adding Ubuntu section to grub on 11.4

Depending on the partition numbers in your case, it should look something like this

Code:
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Mint###
    title Mint 9
        root (hd0,6)
        kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet splash
        initrd /initrd.img
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Did you edit the file menu.lst in /boot/grub/menu.lst? You can do that using one of these editor commands:
    Gnome: gnomesu gedit/boot/grub/menu/lst
    KDE: kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then add this entry:
    Code:
    #Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: none#
    title      Ubuntu booting via symlinks
    root       (hd0,8)
    kernel     /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda9 ro quiet splash
    initrd     /initrd.img
    You'll have to edit the sda9 and (hd0,8) to reflect your actual partition for Ubntu
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Ah Carl -- two like minds I see.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

You should not use device names in Grub menu. The fact that is works in most cases (but not as often as you think) and doesn't require further explanation doesn't make it a good practice nor an advisable method. Use disks IDs, UUIDS or labels instead (as most Linux setups would do).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hornetster View Post
    Trying to add a section in grub to boot a Ubuntu 10.10 from a partition, and can enter all the info OK, but it won't save it.
    It has an issue with the kernel and ram files not being where configured, but I tell it to save them anyway. When I go back in the section hasn't been saved...??

Have tried in YAST (cli) and Yast2 - same result.
    Thanks, John.
    To edit the file use this in a terminal

kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I had the same problem.
    First, go into yast and use the partitioner to mount your Ubuntu root partition.

Once it is mounted, go into Yast and start up the boot loader. Click add, select Image section, Type in what you want for a description, and browse for the kernel image. Go to the folder you mounted the Ubuntu partition to, and look for the boot folder. In that folder you will see ' vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae ' or something like that. Select it. And yes, the path will include the folder you mounted the Ubuntu partition in.. dont worry about that right now.

Next do the same thing for the Init RAM disk, it' s in the same location as the kernel image file. It will be something like ' initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic-pae '. The root device will be whatever parittion is your Ubuntu root, and you can set the VGA mode however you want.

The next thing is the Option Kernel Command Line Parameter box. If you don't remember what yours was originally, use quiet splash as swerdna pointed out.

Click OK, then OK again. Re-open the boot loader and it should have saved this time. Next, select the Ubuntu entry, click the Other button in the lower right hand corner, and select 'Edit Configuration Files'. There will be a drop down at the top of the screen open it and select /boot/grub/menu.lst then scroll to the bottom of the File Contents box. Make sure that the kernel and initrd lines start with at the '/boot' folder (for example: kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae.... )

May seem a bit confusing, but the idea is this: Mount your Ubuntu partition with partitioner, add an entry through boot loader in Yast, and browse to the kernel and initrd files. Just make sure the menu.lst is pointing to the boot folder and not your mount folder for Ubuntu. The Boot Loder GUI will see the files, add the entry for you as it should be, and compile the GRUB files for you the way the system expects. And, at least on my system, the Boot Loader GUI will extrapolate the correct path to my kernel and INITRD files after I select them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    You should not use device names in Grub menu. The fact that is works in most cases (but not as often as you think) and doesn't require further explanation doesn't make it a good practice nor an advisable method. Use disks IDs, UUIDS or labels instead (as most Linux setups would do).
    IIRC you mentioned this last time I posted to use device names like sda. I think the added burden for newbies of finding the UUID or diskID is too much when trying to edit menu.lst (just my POV). We have different views on how to be pragmatic.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    IIRC you mentioned this last time I posted to use device names like sda.
    Yep and I still will. You shouldn't advise people to use a syntax which is known not to work as expected and even create problems and is considered to be deprecated.

I think the added burden for newbies of finding the UUID or diskID is too much when trying to edit menu.lst (just my POV).
    In other words, if it is too complicated to do something right, just do it wrong! I do not share this view (sounds windowish). My guess is that you've been misinformed about the probability of device name changes in modern Linuxes - which is never 0.1% as you stated in another thread - but closer to 50% in multiboot (or even in multiple kernels) environments.

However the issue might get solved in the future if users continue to worry about it or even propose solutions (OpenSuse 11.4 Hard drive order?).

In the meantime - I'm sorry to say it again - don't use device names (sda, sdb, etc) in Grub menu. There is no reason to do so, except that it might be simpler for you. And this is not a good reason, as the udev daemon doesn't care about what is simpler for you but just names devices in the order which appears to be simpler for itself.

We have different views on how to be pragmatic.
    Yes.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Easy when you know (are told..) how, particularly NeoGraven. Thought I had basically been doing that, but it hadn't worked, so obviously I hadn't been!
    All is now good, although I had stuffed up the HOME partition somehow, but now working.
    Thanks again, John.
    It's the little things...

i5/16GB
    openSuse Leap15.3 / KDE Plasma 5.18.6
    Linux Counter 130995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast