Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the developers release a new version of 11.4 Suzy?

Default Should the developers release a new version of 11.4 Suzy?

From the day, it was released 11.4 Suzy users had lot of problems. I downloaded the 64bit, checked the CD, installed and got into strange problems like the need to keep the Live CD in the CDRom. Then I downloaded the 32bit and it did install nicely, but now its giving problems. from time to time, it doesn't boot, and when trying 1-2, it boots up. After booting up, it works well, well not always, sometimes it loses firefox. This is the gnome version. I have installed the Gnome 64 and 32 bit few times. The laptop is Ok, a Lenovo T400 core 2 duo.

Maybe, the developers should release a newer version of this Suzy 11.4?

I have written about this matter earlier and then stopped, but as I'd like to have Suzy working, my request above. Would others agree?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the developers release a new version of 11.4 Suzy?

No
    It sounds like flaky or incompatible hardware. You yourself said:
    The laptop is Ok, a Lenovo T400 core 2 duo
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Caf, we discussed this matter earlier. It is a very good laptop, and Suzy 11.3 had no problems with it. I strongly think that the developers should release a new version!

Debian 6 was released too early and had umpteen problems, and now released a new version "stating" that they had got rid of the bugs, which were there in Debian 6! Everyone is quite jittery about the new Ubuntu coming up...

Suzy came out with too much problems, so there should be a new version!

Blog Entries

On 3 different machines, I'm not really seeing any problems.So I beg to differ with you.

You could always try one of the kde-reloaded
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Medias/images/iso
    Tumbleweed_KDE

No, I would want something like Gnome or Openbox, but Gnome is better, KDE has something I don't like, the "K" word...And if there is a Gnome problem, the developers know about that. I have read umpteen amount of cries for help in this forums, too much really!

Blog Entries

I'm actually using gnome, unusual for me, But there we are.
    Still no problems
    Tumbleweed_KDE

well, let the others say too...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SLPolak View Post
    Would others agree?
    Actually no, ... I don't agree.

First thou, can you call openSUSE the name openSUSE and NOT Suzy ? Thats the name it goes by and it is trademarked as such. It is NOT Suzy. Would you like it if people called your handle SLPolakzy ?

I installed 11.4 in a test partition on two separate PCs:
    • 64-bit Intel Core i7 920 w/6GB RAM (Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard) w/ PCI-e nVidia GeForce GTX260 graphics [age ~2 years] - installed KDE4 version from DVD on a test partition. Audio was a bit tricky to setup but was manageable after installing pavucontrol. It is faster and thus far superior to every previous openSUSE version I have tried.
    • 32-bit AMD Athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM (MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard) w/AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics [age ~10-years] - installed LXDE version from DVD. This is my "sandbox" PC. Audio was a bit tricky to setup but was manageable after installing pavucontrol. It is faster and thus far superior to every previous openSUSE version I have tried.

I tested from the liveCD on my
    • 64-bit Intel P8400 w/4GB RAM (64-bit Dell Studio 1537 Laptop), w/ATI Radeon 3450HD graphics [age ~2+ years]. I tested with 64-bit 11.4 KDE liveCD. It needed nomodeset to boot, and wireless would stop after 5 minutes requiring a reboot. The nomodeset problem turned out to be a problem that is on liveCD (initrd built with a couple of packages missing - it will be fixed in factory for 11.5 and problem does not exist in DVD version). The wireless problem is KDE specific (ie an upstream problem) and does not exist in Gnome. I may install 11.4 Gnome on this PC in a month or two.
    • 64-bit Core i7-860 w/6GB RAM (Asus P7H55-M, H55 motherboard) w/GeForce G210 graphics [age ~4 months] (my wife's new PC). I tested with 64-bit 11.4 KDE liveCd. It worked fabulous with 11.4. I may install 11.4 on this PC in a month or two.
    • 32-bit Intel 1.5 celeron w/1.256 GB RAM (Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 7400M Laptop) with Intel i855 graphics [age ~7 years] . openSUSE-11.4 works better than 11.3, 11.2 but not better than 11.1 due to the killer i855GM graphics on this laptop. Hence I've left 11.1 with Evergreen support on this laptop.
    • 32-bit Intel Pentium M Processor 715 (HP Compaq NC4010) w/512MB RAM, w/AMD Radeon IGP 350M graphics [age ~ 8 years]. This is our LUG latop. Installed 32-bit 11.4 LXDE destkop. It works amazingly well. Better than 11.3.

In essence, 11.4 on the average worked better than any previous openSUSE release. Not in all cases, but in most cases.

I used to call OpenSuse as Suzy quite a long time ago, somewhere around 2006. Most times guys from Europe calls it that way. If you want to call me SLPolakzy, its quite alright for me!

Its German from the beginning and many used to pronounce it Susie or Suzy. its still German anyway! Not everything can be hijacked to USA, right pal?

Now, this is not the question, and it is not for you, but for the umpteen amount of Suse users, who are having trouble. I can get out of the trouble, but not many can, so there should be a newer version. There is update anyway, so why fight? Did I say it was bad?

Do you want users to move out?

Blog Entries

I used to call OpenSuse as Suzy quite a long time ago, somewhere around 2006. Most times guys from Europe calls it that way. If you want to call me SLPolakzy, its quite alright for me!

Its German from the beginning and many used to pronounce it Susie or Suzy. its still German anyway! Not everything can be hijacked to USA, right pal?
    Whatever you choose to call it, its proper name is "openSUSE" as oldcpu has already explained.

Now, this is not the question, and it is not for you, but for the umpteen amount of Suse users, who are having trouble. I can get out of the trouble, but not many can, so there should be a newer version. There is update anyway, so why fight? Did I say it was bad?

Do you want users to move out?
    Every new version (of any OS) brings new features, along with a few bugs, and problems for users with certain hardware or software. Best to stick with the supported version(s) that work for you. There will be fixes for the current verson (11.4) along the way, but only by submitting bug reports - not by simple suggestions to release a new version of 11.4. The only way to ensure problems are minimised, is for as many users to get involved with beta testing for the next version in development. This is always going to be subjective argument anyway, many users have no problems at all, so if that's not the case for you, its best to direct your energy to the developers via IRC and/or bug reports, not rant here.

My 2c...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast