changing admin password

I did an upgrade install. So, I didn’t get the prompt to make one. How to change the admin password? I think I know how I can change my username and password.

I have suse 11.4

You mean root’s password. That can be done in YaST ‘User and Group Management’. Either with YaST’s Qt/Gtk interface, or with the ncurses interface.

The only thing is that you need to filter for “System Users”.

To change the admin or root password, you must open a terminal session, become root and the use the command passwd and then follow the prompts:

**su -**
password:
**passwd**
Changing password for root.
New Password: 
Reenter New Password:
Password changed.

The commands shown in bold is what you enter. The rest are prompts for you to enter the old and new passwords. If you enter a new password, thought to be too simple, you will get an error message that says “Bad password: too simple”, but if you proceed with the same new simple password, it will still be changed, even if it is considered too simple.

Thank You,

Note that if you missed the check box to create different root (admin) password the root password defaults to the first user password you created in the install.

Either method above will work to change it.

It worked, easy. Thanks.

Also, I’v tried finding it in yast, before and with the new info. Filter for system users gave a long list. What then? For later reference.

“nobody” is in that list??

It worked, easy. Thanks.
In general, if there is a short way to do in Terminal, just save a copy of the command for future reference, until you know it by heart and don’t worry about any other methods. Of course I do use GUI’s all of the time, but only if it is better than in terminal, in my (or your) opinion.

Thank You,

On 2011-03-21 22:36, lord valarian wrote:
>
> I did an upgrade install. So, I didn’t get the prompt to make one. How
> to change the admin password? I think I know how I can change my
> username and password.

You have the same admin password as you had before. And you change root’s
password as any other user’s: command “passwd”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Pick user “root” and click “Edit”.

Just as you would with any normal user.

Thanks to all, everything is now updated.