Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.4 ati/64-bit problem?

Default 11.4 ati/64-bit problem?

I'm not sure if this is a laptop problem or a 64-bit problem, but after installing 11.4 x64 on my dv7t-4000 laptop - which seemed to go well - and then adding the ATI 11.4 repo and installing the drivers there - all I get is a black screen after reboot. It's not an xorg.conf problem because when I reverted to the original xorg.conf, it was still black. So maybe it's an ATI problem - or maybe just the 64-bit drivers - does anyone know for sure?
    THANKS!
    Patti

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.4 ati/64-bit problem?

AMD do not claim that their proprietary graphic drivers support openSUSE-11.4. They only claim support for openSUSE-11.3 and older.

It is possible to custom the Catalyst 11.2 for openSUSE-11.4 using openSUSE-11.3 settings when building the driver (the hardway (that is not hard)). But that may not work for all Radeon hardware.

I am posting a log of the irc log regarding the same error that you got, namely a blank screen after using the 11.4 ATi repos.

SUSE Paste

go through it. this should help you.

Hi Reo and OldCPU - thanks for the reply. I know ATI is evil, but, well, it's a laptop and the price was right. For some reason OpenSuSE always seems more efficient than Kubuntu (which also boots on the same machine) but lately (since 11.2?) it's been less reliable? Just an impression. I thought maybe I'd try building my own driver - which is the way that I always did it with NVidia - couldn't get any worse than a black-screen-of-death! Guess I'll rely on Kubuntu for now until I can get OpenSuSE reliable.

Thanks Again!
    PattiMichelle

EDIT: That post is a hoot!
    Linux commandment #2: Thou shalt know how to use vi
    Is there a graphical vi I can use to to brush up my runlev 3 skills (without actually booting runlevel 3, you understand)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle View Post
    Is there a graphical vi I can use to to brush up my runlev 3 skills (without actually booting runlevel 3, you understand)?
    Install midnight commander (known as 'mc'). You can install it (if it is not already installed, and it may be installed) by the following with root permissions:
    Code:
    zypper in mc
    then in a terminal run it with
    Code:
    mc
    and it should be intuitively obvious from there on.

If you wish to run mc with root permissions, just switch to root permissions BEFORE you type 'mc'.

I fixed that issue by install the ATI drivers from the ATI repo and added nomodeset to the kernel boot parameter in Grub.

Had the same problem. Fixed also by installing ATI drivers from official repo:
    http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.4/
    And then added kernel boot parameter in Grub:
    Code:
    nomodeset

Hmmm.... sounds iffy, but worth a try I guess. I just did a reinstall and that default driver is WAY flaky. Ever other KDE app disables either the home monitor or the attached monitor. Slideshow does the same thing everytime it changes wallpapers. VERY weird.

BTW: Did you first do the full online update after install of 11.4?

OK, the nomodeset option seems to fix my as-installed video problems. I guess now I'll see if it fixes the ATI repo video driver problems... <eeeek!>

On 03/26/2011 09:36 PM, PattiMichelle wrote:
    >
    > OK, the *nomodeset* option seems to fix my as-installed video problems.
    > I guess now I'll see if it fixes the ATI repo video driver problems...
    > <eeeek!>

All that nomodeset does is keep the KMS driver from loading and forces the using
    of the framebuffer driver, which has only 2D acceleration. That command will
    have absolutely no effect on any proprietary driver that you get from the ATI repo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast