Thread: Install server as local host trouble.

Default Install server as local host trouble.

Googled and forum surfed but came beck home for some help.
    This is the install instructions from Xampp page.

apache friends - xampp for linux

Code:

Step 2: Installation - After downloading simply type in the following commands: 

1. Go to a Linux shell and login as the system administrator root: su
    2. Extract the downloaded archive file to /opt: tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.4.tar.gz -C /opt Warning: Please use only this command to install XAMPP. DON'T use any Microsoft Windows tools to extract the archive, it won't work. Warning 2: already installed XAMPP versions get overwritten by this command.
    That's all. XAMPP is now installed below the /opt/lampp directory.
    Okay here I go. Several things as I have never setup a server. I want a local host where I can work with an existing website without borking the actual site and maybe use it to learn php and some website development. Apache 2 server, PHP, and Mysql, phpMyAdmin, etc. Looking at Xampp but having trouble getting the tar to install per instructions in code quotes. Thought about logging in as root and unpacking in /opt but thought I'd check here in the forums. I would like to be able to work with the ftp'd copy I have of the site from the remote host. To install a tar should be easy but I can't seem to get it.

I did install the server and packages with patterns in Yast but the config's needed for local host and setting up the remote files for a local host that doesn't start at boot also eluded me. Decided to uninstall pattern and try Xampp.

Any help appreciated.
    " It wouldn't dare! " - Shaggyman

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install server as local host trouble.

Apache 2 server, PHP, and Mysql, phpMyAdmin
    LAMP is a 1-click install from RPMs in openSUSE (thought u should know but feel free to stick with Xampp)
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    LAMP is a 1-click install from RPMs in openSUSE (thought u should know but feel free to stick with Xampp)
    Lamp not quit the same thing is it ? Xampp sits in /opt. Not sure if it's good or bad or makes no difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by difficilus View Post
    Lamp not quit the same thing is it ? Xampp sits in /opt. Not sure if it's good or bad or makes no difference.
    You're right, not quite the same, stick w xampp if that pleases you, I have no special recommendation for LAMP.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    You're right, not quite the same, stick w xampp if that pleases you, I have no special recommendation for LAMP.
    Moved the tar to opt and unpacked there. No package "installation" involved. This looks to be an adventure.