Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    I have new install of 11.4 X86_64 which has been working fine up until this morning. Now when I boot and get the kdm login screen, the keyboard is no longer working, nothing appears from typing, no key sequences are recognized. The mouse works fine and when I go Console Login, the keyboard works fine.

    The mouse and keyboard are both Logictech wireless using the Logitech unifying usb link. As I said, it was working fine until this morning.

    I have no idea how to even diagnose this. Any help is appreciated and any outputs from anything needed to help diagnose and correct please let me know.

    At the moment, I am relagated to winDOHS!

    Thanks for any help.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    Guess I'm left with reloading from scratch and hoping it doesn't do it again.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    On 03/22/2011 06:06 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > Guess I'm left with reloading from scratch and hoping it doesn't do it
    > again.


    i do not know what is going on there, but maybe it could be helpful to
    introduce some more information into this thread...then, maybe one of
    the helpers will have a better chance at guessing, so:

    what immediately preceded the "this morning" of your first post? was
    the machine shut down and you booted up and it was broken, or was it
    hibernating, or was it running all night? was there an update
    installed before "this morning"? perhaps a new kernel? any other
    software installed? did you change any configuration files either
    directly or though either YaST or Configure Desktop? maybe a crash,
    occurred during the last session? or what?

    do you have a wired keyboard you can plug in, then boot and see how it
    works?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    On 2011-03-19 20:36, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > I have new install of 11.4 X86_64 which has been working fine up until
    > this morning. Now when I boot and get the kdm login screen, the
    > keyboard is no longer working, nothing appears from typing, no key
    > sequences are recognized. The mouse works fine and when I go Console
    > Login, the keyboard works fine.



    Maybe this: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455970

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 03/22/2011 06:06 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > Guess I'm left with reloading from scratch and hoping it doesn't do it
    > again.


    i do not know what is going on there, but maybe it could be helpful to
    introduce some more information into this thread...then, maybe one of
    the helpers will have a better chance at guessing, so:

    what immediately preceded the "this morning" of your first post? was
    the machine shut down and you booted up and it was broken, or was it
    hibernating, or was it running all night? was there an update
    installed before "this morning"? perhaps a new kernel? any other
    software installed? did you change any configuration files either
    directly or though either YaST or Configure Desktop? maybe a crash,
    occurred during the last session? or what?

    do you have a wired keyboard you can plug in, then boot and see how it
    works?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
    Good point. Thank you for responding.

    Sequence of events that morning.

    1 - System booted fine.
    2 - I was trying to get xvidcap working on 11.4, currently it just freezes (different story), so I installed the 32 bit version to see if it worked any better, it didn't really, so I put the 64bit back.
    3 - I plugged in my iPhone 4 to the front panel USB to download some pictures off it and to charge. Working fine at this point.
    4 -I tried to configure my TV Card (Hauppage PVR1250) to work, TV Card setup in Yast crashed Yast with a kernel ooops message, so that didn't work. System still running fine at this point after, I did not have to reboot.
    5 - I wanted to change over my Logitech speaker system from the RCA jack inputs to the Digital Coax connection.
    6 - I shut down the system.
    7 - Swapped over the digital cable to the speakers and unplugged the RCA connection.
    8 - Reboot, system froze booting the kernel, no response whatsoever. Happened almost immediately after the grub selection to boot linux (doing dual boot to W7)
    9 - At this point the iPhone was still plugged in to the USB port.
    10 - Thinking that the digital cable change caused the issue, i swapped the speaker cable back to the RCA inputs.
    11 - Rebooted (iPhone still connected)
    12 - System hung on boot, same instance.
    13 - I unplugged the iPhone, system continued to boot after iPhone was unplugged.
    14 - To ensure that was it, I immediately selected restart after it booted up.
    15 - System rebooted normally.
    16 - Keyboard now did not work, mouse worked fine.

    That's the sequence of events as best I can remember.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCorsa View Post
    Good point. Thank you for responding.

    Sequence of events that morning.

    1 - System booted fine.
    2 - I was trying to get xvidcap working on 11.4, currently it just freezes (different story), so I installed the 32 bit version to see if it worked any better, it didn't really, so I put the 64bit back.
    3 - I plugged in my iPhone 4 to the front panel USB to download some pictures off it and to charge. Working fine at this point.
    4 -I tried to configure my TV Card (Hauppage PVR1250) to work, TV Card setup in Yast crashed Yast with a kernel ooops message, so that didn't work. System still running fine at this point after, I did not have to reboot.
    5 - I wanted to change over my Logitech speaker system from the RCA jack inputs to the Digital Coax connection.
    6 - I shut down the system.
    7 - Swapped over the digital cable to the speakers and unplugged the RCA connection.
    8 - Reboot, system froze booting the kernel, no response whatsoever. Happened almost immediately after the grub selection to boot linux (doing dual boot to W7)
    9 - At this point the iPhone was still plugged in to the USB port.
    10 - Thinking that the digital cable change caused the issue, i swapped the speaker cable back to the RCA inputs.
    11 - Rebooted (iPhone still connected)
    12 - System hung on boot, same instance.
    13 - I unplugged the iPhone, system continued to boot after iPhone was unplugged.
    14 - To ensure that was it, I immediately selected restart after it booted up.
    15 - System rebooted normally.
    16 - Keyboard now did not work, mouse worked fine.

    That's the sequence of events as best I can remember.
    Oh, and I did try a wired keyboard, it did not work either.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2011-03-19 20:36, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > I have new install of 11.4 X86_64 which has been working fine up until
    > this morning. Now when I boot and get the kdm login screen, the
    > keyboard is no longer working, nothing appears from typing, no key
    > sequences are recognized. The mouse works fine and when I go Console
    > Login, the keyboard works fine.



    Maybe this: No keyboard after upgrade to 11.4

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    I did look at the 90-keyboard file and it did have assignments in it but I don't remember the details. I will have to look at that again.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCorsa View Post
    I did look at the 90-keyboard file and it did have assignments in it but I don't remember the details. I will have to look at that again.
    UPDATE! Ok, I just rebooted in to openSuSE and checked the file again mentioned in the link you provided. Mine too was mysteriously now null entries for keytable. I entered 'us' and rebooted. I am now typing in openSuSE again.

    Thanks for pointing out the link. Mystery is still what did it to start with?

    Thanks again.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: openSySE 11.4 - Keyboard no longer works under X

    On 2011-03-22 22:06, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > DMCorsa;2310257 Wrote:
    >> I did look at the 90-keyboard file and it did have assignments in it but
    >> I don't remember the details. I will have to look at that again.

    >
    > UPDATE! Ok, I just rebooted in to openSuSE and checked the file again
    > mentioned in the link you provided. Mine too was mysteriously now null
    > entries for keytable. I entered 'us' and rebooted. I am now typing in
    > openSuSE again.


    A wild guess hitting target :-)

    > Thanks for pointing out the link. Mystery is still what did it to
    > start with?


    Another wild guess: the iphone, it thought it was a keyboard. Is that possible?


    The X system now has automatic device detection. If it fails, perhaps it
    fills with blanks.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •