Oblivion gstreamer problems

Hi all, I just freshly installed OpenSuSE 11.4 on a brand new computer, and used wine to install Steam and from within Steam, I installed The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

The installations all ran smoothly, and I didn’t use any commands other than those needed to install steam:

winetricks corefonts allfonts tahoma gecko vcrun2005
msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi

When I try to run Oblivion, the credits screen comes up like always, but when I actually enter the game, the FPS drops to 2-5 and I get a continuous stream of the following error messages:

fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_FindMatch Could not find plugin for audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int) 1
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {56a86895-0ad4-11ce-b03a-0020af0ba770} of class {728dcf55-128f-4dd1-ad22-becfa66ce7aa}, hres is 0x80004005
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x59661af8 stub
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x59661af8 stub
fixme:gstreamer:unknown_type Could not find a filter for caps: audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3
fixme:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin288: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
fixme:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin288: A MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.
fixme:gstreamer:GST_Connect Gstreamer could not find any streams
fixme:quartz:ACMWrapper_SetMediaType acmStreamOpen returned 512

What’s strange is that I do have ‘gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3’ installed.

This computer runs Unigine Heaven at over 30fps fullscreen, and I’m running Oblivion in windowed mode at low settings at a resolution of 800x600.

I’ve got a computer running 11.3 that doesn’t have this problem. It runs at about 30fps on max settings. That computer isn’t as powerful as the new one, either.

Other, perhaps relevant, errors I see in the output include:

Install script executed.fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find '{PCM,Line} Playback Volume' element

The gstreamer packages I have installed are as follows:

> zypper search gstreamer | grep \^i | cut -d' ' -f3
PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin
gstreamer-0_10
gstreamer-0_10-32bit
gstreamer-0_10-devel
gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3
gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs
gstreamer-0_10-plugin-hal
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-32bit
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-gl
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-gl-lang
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer-0_10-utils
gstreamer-utils
libgstreamer-0_10-0
libgstreamer-0_10-0-32bit
phonon-backend-gstreamer-0_10

Any help, please? :slight_smile:

Wild guessing maybe a 32bit 64bit libraries incompatibilities ? Is your 11.4 64bit and what about 11.3 ?

Best regards,
Greg

OK glistwan, I have no idea what might be wrong, but I wonder if you have setup your multimedia properly. First, you need to add the Packman repository. Here is an explanation of Packman:

Packman Layout Explained

You can add this for all Packman repositories:

Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/

Once you have added in Packman, here is how you would want to update your Multimedia files:

Multimedia in One Click

Once you think you have updated it all, here is a script file I put together call mmcheck that can check if indeed your Multimedia is correct:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

Can you check your multimedia out and let us know if it is OK. By the way, the New Pulseaudio is defaulting to the GStreamer Backend, but perhaps you want to try the xine one as well:

menu / Personnel Settings / Multimedia / Phonon / Backend

You might check this very last if nothing else is helping.

Thank You,

Both the 11.4 and the 11.3 are 64-bit systems with AMD processors and nVidia cards (albeit different models of each)

I went through mmcheck and fixed a bunch of stuff, some packages were from the wrong vendor. Here are my results after running oblivion again:

My FPS went up slightly. Now it ranges between 5 and 7 fps.
A new, but still gstreamer-related error message appeared:

fixme:gstreamer:GST_Connect Could not make source filter, are gstreamer-plugins-* installed for 32 bits?
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_FindMatch Could not find plugin for audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int) 1
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {56a86895-0ad4-11ce-b03a-0020af0ba770} of class {728dcf55-128f-4dd1-ad22-becfa66ce7aa}, hres is 0x80004005
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x58c621b8 stub
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x58c621b8 stub

The same start-up error message appeared again:

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find '{PCM,Line} Playback Volume' element

If I load up alsamixer at the terminal, I don’t see a PCM or Line channel, all I see is Master. Does that have to do with Pulseaudio?

If I try to install gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-32bit, YaST demands that I change the architecture of about 450 packages from x86_64 to i586. I don’t see why that’s necessary.

Thanks again!

I would try the following items one at a time and see what you get:

1. On this error, I wonder if you have made a trip to: YaST / Hardware / Sound
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer

Once there, make sure this is device 1 and not 0, unless this is your main sound card device. For instance, I use a Creative X-Fi sound card, but also have the nVIDIA sound output if I used HDMI output and must make sure it is set as card 1 and not zero since I do not use this device. Device 0 is your default sound defice.

1. As for the 32 and 64 bit thing I must agree you do not want to wholesale swap to 32 bits. There is one other option you can select, to see if it helps and hopefully not worse. This will loads lots of 32 bit files but should not remove the 64 bit ones:

YaST / Software / Software Management / View Button (Top Left) / Select Patterns / Base Technologies (In the Pattern Window) / Check the “32 Bit Runtime Environment” Pattern and allow this to install and see if this makes any difference.

1. Next, just as something to try, you can change your KDE Backend sound device by doing the following:

menu / Personnel Settings / Multimedia / Phonon (on Left) / Backend Tab / Select Xine instead of GSTreamer and see what difference this makes.

Thank You,

After step 1:

I get the following message:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f32c,0x00000000), stub!

The launcher plays sound, but it’s encoded in wav format. HDA NVidia is configured as card 1 (not 0).

I still get the following error message:

fixme:gstreamer:GST_Connect Could not make source filter, are gstreamer-plugins-* installed for 32 bits?
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x595fe590 stub
fixme:gstreamer:Gstreamer_transform_Cleanup 0x595fe590 stub

FPS still hangs in the 3-7 range.

After step 2:
Checking the box does nothing, no new packages are installed and upon reopening YaST, the box remains cleared. Plenty of packages are installed, though.
I didn’t test after this stage, since I assume nothing changed.

After step 3:
I put Xine in the Phonon settings to the top of the preference list. The problem stayed exactly the same, and produced the same stream of error messages. Is wine linked to phonon or to gstreamer directly? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

So step 2, the loading of 32 bit programs does not work? What source did you install openSUSE from? A LiveCD or the DVD? Was this an upgrade or clean install? I am running out of fixes, but the fact that step two does not work is very curious indeed. I normally do a clean install and from the DVD and I have determined that the type install you select can have very odd consequences with your openSUSE operation.

Thank You,

It was a clean install from the DVD.

Interestingly, enough, the Portal: The First Slice demo works just fine. I don’t think it uses any mp3 files, though.
I get good framerates on max settings/resolution with that game. It has to be something to do with wine or gstreamer, no?

It was a clean install from the DVD.

Interestingly, enough, the Portal: The First Slice demo works just fine. I don’t think it uses any mp3 files, though.
I get good framerates on max settings/resolution with that game. It has to be something to do with wine or gstreamer, no?
Well I guess I would put my money on Wine being the issue, but there are so many new things with openSUSE 11.4, it could be none of the above. I see some people making suggestions to uninstall Pulseaudio might be a fix. But the more you do, the bigger the hole your create for yourself to dig out of. If the worst that can happen to you is the need to reload openSUSE 11.4 and you maintained a separate partition for your /home area, you could always go for it and see what you get.

Thank You,

Oblivion is rated “Gold” on WineHQ, and has been tested with this version of wine. Fortunately, I do have a separate /home partition, so I’ll try to play with deactivating pulseaudio. If that doesn’t work, I’ll reinstall. Failing that, I’ll try a different distribution with the same version of wine to see if it’s a gstreamer issue. If that’s the case, I’ll post back the behavior I see on the other distro. I really hope I can keep using OpenSuSE. I’ve been with it since version 10.1, and aside from this issue, my impression of 11.4 has been that it’s the best yet. =/

Thanks, again!

Oblivion is rated “Gold” on WineHQ, and has been tested with this version of wine. Fortunately, I do have a separate /home partition, so I’ll try to play with deactivating pulseaudio. If that doesn’t work, I’ll reinstall. Failing that, I’ll try a different distribution with the same version of wine to see if it’s a gstreamer issue. If that’s the case, I’ll post back the behavior I see on the other distro. I really hope I can keep using OpenSuSE. I’ve been with it since version 10.1, and aside from this issue, my impression of 11.4 has been that it’s the best yet. =/

Thanks, again!
Please do let us know of your progress, even if you had to switch to a different Linux distribution. Don’t forget we support openSUSE 11.3 as well, should you need to drop back one until 11.4 becomes a little more mature.

Thank You,

this might have been suggested already by someone, but try to install the gstreamer-plugins package for 32 bits

Also, about the very slow fps rate, have you installed the 3D accelerated drivers for your video card? also there might also be a problem between the proprietary drivers for ATI/NVIDIA and the 2D accelerated open-source drivers for the card. There is an incompatibility between the “radeon” open-source driver and the proprietary drivers for the ATI boards (not sure about NVIDIA), so even if you have installed the drivers you might still need to blacklist the opensource driver in order for hardware acceleration to work.

So here’s what I’ve found:

Using OpenSuSE 11.3 works well. All on the same hardware, I get high framerates and sound. I’m using the included version of wine.
Using OpenSuSE 11.4 works IF I disable sound altogether in the game’s configuration files. I’m using the wine-snapshot version. Hopefully wine will be updated to work with OpenSuSE’s gstreamer packages.

Using the latest versions of Fedora, and Ubuntu don’t work. Fedora gave me the same problem as 11.4 did (5 fps with the same gstreamer-related error message). Ubuntu refused to install proprietary drivers for my graphics card, so my mileage was even worse there.

I tried experimenting with Sabayon, too, but it wouldn’t detect my wireless card for some unknown reason. It doesn’t really matter, since I don’t intend to use it.

I think I’m going to live without sound for now. I’d bet that those bugs will get ironed out in the next few months, and I’d much rather use newer versions of software that actually contributes to my work. :wink:
It’s nice to be back on OpenSuSE. :smiley:

If you intend on sticking with openSUSE 11.4 and you have no sound, I would suggest you start a new thread and specify your hardware and the exact sound problem you are having.

Thank You,

It’s not that I have no sound at all – amarok works well! It’s just Oblivion. I even have sound in Portal.

And here’s an interesting update:

About an hour ago, I received some updates to gstreamer and to wine that included the installation of a wine-mp3 package that had not been there before. Now, no matter whether or not I have sound enabled in-game, it doesn’t play anything, but the framerate is high!

Every time a load a new map in-game, I get the following error message in the console:

fixme:gstreamer:unknown_type Could not find a filter for caps: audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3
fixme:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin22: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
fixme:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin22: A MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.
fixme:gstreamer:GST_Connect Gstreamer could not find any streams

So there’s still some weirdness with either wine or gstreamer, but at least wine seems to understand not to look for the plugin over and over again.

I’m not sure whether this is a bug with how OpenSuSE packages wine or gstreamer or whether it’s with the actual projects themselves. Should I take this to WineHQ?

Thanks!

You know what? I found a solution.

I first tried running Steam in a padsp wrapper (for PulseAudio) and that ended up not working. There’s an error message regarding LD_PRELOAD not being able to load the correct library. That’s for another thread, though.

I changed the settings in winecfg to ignore ALSA and only use the OSS drivers.
So next, I killed everything with

wineboot -k

and then started things back up with

aoss wineboot

All of the processes were loaded under the alsa wrapper, which I think are forwarded to pulseaudio and now it works correctly. I get sound, high framerates, and a playable game. :smiley:

It is my understanding, however, that wine comes with a native pulseaudio driver. If that is the case, who could I talk to in order to get that included in the 11.4 wine builds? I’m sure I’m not the only user who needs pulseaudio support in wine.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: