Problem with 11.4 Libre Office.

I tried Word Processor,found that I can’t key in any word & punctuation,and,when I paste some words on it,it show,but if I add any word or punctuation,it doesn’t show.
Another problem is,I can’t choose the format to save the thing.
Is Libre Office really ready for end user?

Yes - I’ve been using it since 11.3 without any problems. You have a local problem.

I have the same problem. I try to edit old .xls files as I used to in Open Office but I cannot type or enter anything! cant key in letters, delete or backspace, or even paste.

I have installed on 4 different computers now, 32 as 64 bit, on laptops, with AMD, VIA etc. No one office works. But I can see that scim and the spell checker try to write to LO. I will try to install with Gnome as it already in 11.3 was very slow in connecting to devices. So for us, back to 11.3. 11.4 is not ready for use yet.

d

I have the exact same experience with .xls files (from Microsoft Office). OpenOffice (on 11.3) handles reading these, and writing back in .xls format to share with Windows. (O/O does not properly write back “vba” materiel, still struggling there). I need the ability to share .xls, .xlsx, .doc and .docx, and L/O seems a bit shaky there.

I do not wish to uninstall LibreOffice and install OpenOffice on 11.4, but I absolutely need at least the same functionality that O/O provides with Microsoft Office formats.

On 2011-03-19 19:06, marcoslai wrote:
>
> I tried Word Processor,found that I can’t key in any word &
> punctuation,and,when I paste some words on it,it show,but if I add any
> word or punctuation,it doesn’t show.
> Another problem is,I can’t choose the format to save the thing.
> Is Libre Office really ready for end user?

](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-03/msg00701.html)

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

All very strange - I’ve just opened an .xls file created in MS Office and saved in out in .ods format using LibreOffice. Did not encounter any problems at all navigating or doing anything in the file. I’ve also exported a Gnumeric file as .xls and .xlsx. LibreOffice opened the .xls file without any problem. With the .xlsx file, it did not import the currency format but, otherwise, the data and formulae were all as in the original Gnumeric file.

I have the exact same experience with .xls files (from Microsoft Office). OpenOffice (on 11.3) handles reading these, and writing back in .xls format to share with Windows. (O/O does not properly write back “vba” materiel, still struggling there). I need the ability to share .xls, .xlsx, .doc and .docx, and L/O seems a bit shaky there.

I do not wish to uninstall LibreOffice and install OpenOffice on 11.4, but I absolutely need at least the same functionality that O/O provides with Microsoft Office formats. 

My thoughts exactly. I don’t want to have to uninstall and go back to O/O. I am yet to find a way to work around it. if you find a way, let us know. please, before I revert to O/O.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t want to have to uninstall and go back to O/O. I am yet to find a way to work around it. if you find a way, let us know. please, before I revert to O/O.

Sorry for the basic question, but aren’t those files read-only?

On a more complex tone, I remember some postings here about scim interfering with kbd configuration or something like that. If you disable it, the problem persist?

On 2011-03-21 02:36, brunomcl wrote:

> On a more complex tone, I remember some postings here about scim
> interfering with kbd configuration or something like that. If you
> disable it, the problem persist?

I posted a link to that info, read it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2011-03-20 21:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2011-03-19 19:06, marcoslai wrote:
>>
>> I tried Word Processor,found that I can’t key in any word &
>> punctuation,and,when I paste some words on it,it show,but if I add any
>> word or punctuation,it doesn’t show.
>> Another problem is,I can’t choose the format to save the thing.
>> Is Libre Office really ready for end user?
>
> ](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-03/msg00701.html)
>

This gateway ate my reply. I’ll post it again.

Code:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-03/msg00701.html

> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-03/msg00701.html

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Seems SCIM messed up the Libre Office. I just uninstall SCIM,completely,and install ibus. Now I can key in text in LO word processor & save as any format I like,but there’s one problem: ibus not working in LO.

The above link helps, but, in my case, was not the sole solution. I had originally used the substance of this link

set in my ~/.profile :

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

to force OpenOffice to use GTK color schemes/fonts under KDE. The installation of 11.4 (new install) brought along LibreOffice, and this entry was missing.

Two other changes resolved the problem. The 11.4 DVD installation completes sans Microsoft True-type Font installation. See No MS Fonts in OpenSUSE 11.4 for solution. Installing the MS fonts allowed me to open and access the .xls files. I believe that LO might have hung up trying to resolve the fonts in the .xls files.

At this point, I added the LibreOffice repository (Index of /repositories/LibreOffice:/Stable/openSUSE_11.4, and did a “Switch systems packages to” this repository. A significant number of updates were applied, and the problem was resolved.

I have noticed a few minor and subtle differences on the saved .xls file, and will continue to investigate. The (known) problems with VBA functions and macros persists, and I will be working on those issues as time permits.

Note: as to the possibility of the .xls/.doc files being “read-only” (as most Windows partitions are mounted), this was not related to the issue. The original problem occurred on the .xls/.doc files either from a Windows partition or from a read/write Linux partition.

On 2011-03-21 22:06, SeanMc98 wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2309074 Wrote:

> Two other changes resolved the problem. The 11.4 DVD installation
> completes -sans- Microsoft True-type Font installation. See ‘No MS
> Fonts in OpenSUSE 11.4’ (http://tinyurl.com/4pd65g7) for solution.
> Installing the MS fonts allowed me to open and access the .xls files. I
> believe that LO might have hung up trying to resolve the fonts in the
> xls files.

That would be a bug…

> At this point, I added the LibreOffice repository (‘Index of
> /repositories/LibreOffice:/Stable/openSUSE_11.4’
> (http://tinyurl.com/4j6yrd6), and did a “Switch systems packages to”
> this repository. A significant number of updates were applied, and the
> problem was resolved.

Ah. Noted.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

In Czech version I have no problem.

The thread says

I found that the error was due to SCIM. I had to add the following to my
.bashrc “export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde”.

What do I do here?
Could someone please explain ?
I have SCIM and I need it for Japanese language text, I assume.

I do not use SCIM, nor iBus. However (as posted earlier), I placed the “export” option in ~/.profile, as opposed to ~/.bashrc. When placed in ~/.profile, OO behaved as desired, although my problem was with KDE themes.

I’m going to add in my problem in here, as not to clog up the works with LibreOffice problems.

Now, I’m using an Asus EEE 901 and I got 11.4 on just fine. My desktop is LXDE, nothing else. I installed LibreOffice from YaST and it has just been too buggy. I’ve done about 3 fresh installs of OpenSuSE and only this last time did I get it to atleast show up. I wouldn’t open a .docx and it struggled with a .odt. I finally got the .odt to come up, but in the middle of working the program just crashed. I’m sure people who are many times smarter than me decided that the change was a good idea, but it just isn’t functional.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know where a crash report might be so I can send it off?

On 03/23/2011 05:36 AM, Linuxinlennox wrote:
>
> The thread says
>> I found that the error was due to SCIM. I had to add the following to my
>> .bashrc “export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde”.
> What do I do here?
> Could someone please explain ?
> I have SCIM and I need it for Japanese language text, I assume.
>
>

All this hubbub about LibreOffice and SCIM prompted me to to launch
LibreOffice Writer for the first time on my fresh install of 11.4,
64-bit (both ‘/home’ and ‘/’ partitions are freshly reformated). SCIM
was never installed but iBus with Anthy is. I’m using Fluxbox (a window
manger), not KDE or GNOME (although KDE is fully installed and updated
from “KDE Release 46”). LibreOffice is updated from the standard repo. I
also subscribe to the “M17N” repo.

I do not have any existing OpenOffice/Microsoft Office file. So, I just
entered into LO Writer a line of Japanese text and another line of
English text. There’s no problem here.

As other posters have already said, the problem, seemingly, is with SCIM
and KDE (GNOME, too?) - KDE and SCIM have had issues for some time now,
and updates to LibreOffice may have fixed some issues.

A query: why have so many people have SCIM installed? For Japanese
input, ibus-anthy is fine, for my occasional Googling, emailing, and
making a list of Japanese reference books I would like to have. If you
have no need for Japanese/Chinese/Korean inputting, why install SCIM?

Anyway, before using iBus, you must configure it.