Where is Kernel:/stable for 11.4

I used to install the latest kernel for opensuse 11.3 from this repo:

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable

but for 11.4 it is empty. I can see that for 11.3 the 2.6.38 kernel is already built.

For 11.4 there is only the Kernel:/HEAD repo.

Do anyone knows something? Are we going to have a kernel:/stable repo for 11.4?

I used to install the latest kernel for opensuse 11.3 from this repo:

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable

but for 11.4 it is empty. I can see that for 11.3 the 2.6.38 kernel is already built.

For 11.4 there is only the Kernel:/HEAD repo.

Do anyone knows something? Are we going to have a kernel:/stable repo for 11.4?
So while waiting for an answer on the:

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/openSUSE_11.4

Repository, you could already have the most recent kernel versions 2.6.37.4 or 2.6.38 and then use the SAKC bash script here S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.00, look at message #17 for the most recent version of SAKC, to compile the kernel of your choice. I have been able to load kernel 2.6.38 into openSUSE versions 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4, all using SAKC. It is painless and the price of zero is just right. lol!

Thank You,

2.6.38 is also in Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.4 repo. I have installed it from there without problem.

2.6.38 is also in Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.4 repo. I have installed it from there without problem.
FIrst off, I think I would stick with kernel 2.6.38 myself as there seems to be no reason at all to drop back to an older kernel version. The problem with the head repository of course, is shortly after kernel 2.6.39-rc1 shows up, you will be unable to find 2.6.38 there any more. With the SAKC bash script, you are immune to such issues. I am hoping the Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/openSUSE_11.4 repository will get populated for you in the near future with kernel 2.6.38 and perhaps that is all they are waiting for is kernel 2.6.39-rc? to come out.

Thank You,

Yes i know that as soon as 2.6.39-rc1 is published it will go to the HEAD repo. That’s why i’m asking about the Kernel:/stable repo.

but isn’t …/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/ 11.4? else what is it?

Isn’t the HEAD repo sort of like factory? Not necessarily patched and not the most secure?

Truth be told the naming of repos is starting to confuse me (especially the KDE, but that’s for a different thread)

but isn't ..../repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/ 11.4? else what is it?

Isn’t the HEAD repo sort of like factory? Not necessarily patched and not the most secure?

Truth be told the naming of repos is starting to confuse me (especially the KDE, but that’s for a different thread)
So I do not claim to be the expert on the kernels placed there, but if you are sticking with Kernel 2.6.37, then everything you need will appear in the openSUSE update repository and there is no need to add anything else. If you are wanting to upgrade your kernel beyond the default 2.6.37 with security and bug fixes included, then you would add and use these other repositories. So I am thinking that when kernel 2.6.39-rc1 is released, we may find it in the Head repository while the stable one will have stable kernel 2.6.38 in it. But we have not quite reached that point since there is only one major kernel release out above the kernel 2.6.37 that came with openSUSE 11.4. But we will see.

As for general confusion with repositories, I don’t think there is anything really new here except that Packman has been split up into different sections and openSUSE 11.4 has not been out long enough for full population of the many repositories that could be used with it just yet. Give it time and more confusion can then exist. However, I would say that it would still be recommended that if you in fact are confused, then stick with the default repositories and Packman and your live will be more simple.

Thank You,

You have a point. I haven’t checked the Kernel:/stable/standard repo that has already the 2.6.38 kernel. I have used to search on the Kernel:/stable/openSUSE_11.x for kernels.