Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

Default Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

Hi, here's my guide to make nm-applet work on KDE4. It does not work on a freshly installed system (11.4). This guide is aimed at total beginners. If a user follows all the steps, it ends up with a working nm-applet in KDE4.

I have confirmation from different users, that the KNetworkManager crippled even ifup usage for wifi! My mobile bb support in KNM was very buggy and illogical. It did not work at all (in openSUSE 11.3 it worked but with problems).

here is the guide : openSUSE starter: Step 2. Need mobile broadband? Use the GNOME applet

and here's an example, what KNM/PNM does to users, i find it a total show stopper... : openSUSE starter: Comment on wifi in openSUSE 11.4!

So - all in all - if you want to blame kernel or firmware, first make yourself a GNOMISH nm-applet in your KDE4. For now, KNM/PNM are just work in progress, imho, useless waste of time.

For more experienced users, use GNOME NetworkManager Applet in KDE in openSUSE 11.4 The Blog is Hot - Cymage's console guide to do the nm-applet.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

This looks like a very good article which required lots of effort. You might want to duplicate this in the Unreviewed How To and FAQ forum section, though I am not the expert on such things. I have book marked this information and will give it a try on my next openSUSE 11.4 installation. Thanks for your efforts there mieszkaniec_lasu.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

Many thanks for this! I have been struggling with the connection ever since upgrading to 11.4. Now running beautifully!
    Thanks gain

John F.

Many thanks for this! I have been struggling with the connection ever since upgrading to 11.4. Now running beautifully!
    Thanks gain

John F.

I am happy that the manual works for you and others.
    The Networkmanager-GNOME makes our Suses wifi work. I vote it to be the default for openSUSE for all desktop environments. I don't uderstand the aim of releasing the KDE desktop for openSUSE with a totally work-in-progress wifi GUI. I think it's a showstopper and really bad promotion for Linux in general, when users can't connect to mobile bb and even wifi at all. Out of curiosity I've tried to make nm-applet run on KDE4, but it's results were a shock for me. Everything worked with two mouse clicks. Polish UMTS provider was found in 1 second and I was already online with nm-applet. Please use it, before you blame kernel or other things. It's very possible, Networkmanager-kde4-libs are fault, even if you use traditional ifup.

Blog Entries

I am adding my thanks for this thread. I have made the change to two computers, and it is working well.

For the benefit of those wondering about the differences, the important ones for me are:

(1) You can set up a connection that is available to all users (requires root key). And if you have such a connection configured to be automatic, the computer will connect even before anybody logs in. You can log out, go to a command line console session, and stay connected.

(2) Connections to a hidden network operate smoothly and reliably.

(3) The user interface seems a bit more natural than with the KDE applet.

I suggest that future version of openSuSE/KDE use this, at least until there is a fully functional KDE version of the applet.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Exclamation Re: Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I am adding my thanks for this thread. I have made the change to two computers, and it is working well.

For the benefit of those wondering about the differences, the important ones for me are:

(1) You can set up a connection that is available to all users (requires root key). And if you have such a connection configured to be automatic, the computer will connect even before anybody logs in. You can log out, go to a command line console session, and stay connected.

(2) Connections to a hidden network operate smoothly and reliably.

(3) The user interface seems a bit more natural than with the KDE applet.

I suggest that future version of openSuSE/KDE use this, at least until there is a fully functional KDE version of the applet.

Thank you for sharing your experience. From what I see, switching to Networkmanager-GNOME is plainly the thing to do in KDE4.
    It solves a lot of problems. Thank you also for the idea of a connection available to many users! Great news.

Can this thread be done sticky?
    I agree and I am convinced - Networkmanager-GNOME should be openSUSE's default for any desktop environment.

Thumbs up Re: Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!

Thanks for this thread. I use nm-applet many years with KDE. In the past you could simply start nm-applet with no need to configure anything. Now works fine with openSUSE 11.4 / KDE 4.6, great. OpenVPN with knetworkmanager doesn't work when using x509 and private key file has password. Knetworkmanager is very buggy.

Best regards

Thilo

Quote Originally Posted by thilo_b View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I use nm-applet many years with KDE. In the past you could simply start nm-applet with no need to configure anything. Now works fine with openSUSE 11.4 / KDE 4.6, great. OpenVPN with knetworkmanager doesn't work when using x509 and private key file has password. Knetworkmanager is very buggy.

Best regards

Thilo
    @Thilo, did u have to use the guide to make nm-applet work? If so, I am happy that the guide helped. I can see many strangest bugs in knm/pnm. But today I was shocked to find this:

WARINING! Using Virtualbox 4.0 from Oracle can cut down your samba or wifi

... another funny bug. As I am no developer or coder, I don't know how this happens. Making a few guesses I found the guilty one: Virtualbox. After deinstalling, network and samba worked again.

Best regards.

It would be nice to understand if this is really Network-manager KDE4-libs that are not working. And in that case who is the responsible developer since this goes on since 4.0 if I am not mistaken. Stability of NM in KDE was even one priority point since 4.3. Did anybody file a bug report to KDE for this? And is this really a KDE problem or more a OpenSUSE KDE implementation problem? Just to help in some decisions. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast