Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Home directory is running out space

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sleman - Yogyakarta
    Posts
    6

    Default Home directory is running out space

    Hi,

    My machine telling me that my home directory is running out space,
    It is said 95% in usage.

    Try to delete the big unwanted files in users (just two user in my machine),
    df ing, but the home usage status keep on 95%.

    I do appreciate for your advice

    Thank you

  2. #2

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Hello lulik,

    Quote Originally Posted by lulik
    Hi,

    My machine telling me that my home directory is running out space,
    It is said 95% in usage.

    Try to delete the big unwanted files in users (just two user in my machine),
    df ing, but the home usage status keep on 95%.

    I do appreciate for your advice

    Thank you
    Strange, how much did you remove?
    Do you have a separate home partition?
    Could you post the output of this command:
    Code:
    df
    Also you could try Bleachbit it can detect and remove unneeded files.
    I recommend you check the list before deleting the files because Bleachbit can't know for sure if a file is unneeded.
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sleman - Yogyakarta
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Hello Edward,

    Tanks for your reply.

    here's my df
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda7 6.1G 4.4G 1.5G 76% /
    udev 495M 1.8M 493M 1% /dev
    /dev/sda8 8.2G 7.4G 397M 95% /home
    /dev/sda1 40G 34G 5.5G 87% /windows/C
    /dev/sda5 20G 4.4G 16G 23% /windows/D
    /home/lulik.img 39G 2.7G 34G 8% /home/lulik
    /dev/sdb2 9.8G 8.5G 1.3G 88% /media/IBM2
    /dev/sdb3 8.5G 4.8G 3.7G 57% /media/IBM3
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    what I do not understand is, the /home/lulik/ usage is only 8%.

    Thank you

  4. #4

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Hello lulik,

    Quote Originally Posted by lulik
    here's my df
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda7 6.1G 4.4G 1.5G 76% /
    udev 495M 1.8M 493M 1% /dev
    /dev/sda8 8.2G 7.4G 397M 95% /home
    /dev/sda1 40G 34G 5.5G 87% /windows/C
    /dev/sda5 20G 4.4G 16G 23% /windows/D
    /home/lulik.img 39G 2.7G 34G 8% /home/lulik
    /dev/sdb2 9.8G 8.5G 1.3G 88% /media/IBM2
    /dev/sdb3 8.5G 4.8G 3.7G 57% /media/IBM3
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    what I do not understand is, the /home/lulik/ usage is only 8%.
    Well, I think the problem is that your /home/lulik isn't a partition on your harddrive.
    It's an image on your home partition, do you know why your setup is like this?
    I think that when you write files to /home/lulik it doesn't get written to the lulik.img file but to your home partition.
    Or to both, meaning that your /home partition and lulik.img will get filled with the same files.

    Could you post the output of this command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Best of luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sleman - Yogyakarta
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Hello Edwards,

    Well, I think I begin to understand this.
    Yes the lulik.img is an image inside home/
    This .lulik.img was created due to I choose to use 'Encrypted Home Directory'.

    After some unused files clean up, the number of usage is changing now.
    I just surprised that the number result is different between 'df' in the terminal and the number in the 'System Monitor' dialog window, a small difference of home usage, 95% for df and 94% for Sys Monitor

    Anyway here's my fstab;
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part7 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part8 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part5 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part6 swap swap default 0 0
    /dev/mapper/cr_.lulik /media ext4 acl,user_xattr,noauto 0 0
    /home/lulik/.cocomeo /mnt/cocomeo crypt loop,noauto,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,781

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Please read this before you post more computer output: Posting in Code Tags - A Guide
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    Quote Originally Posted by lulik View Post
    Hello Edwards,

    Well, I think I begin to understand this.
    Yes the lulik.img is an image inside home/
    This .lulik.img was created due to I choose to use 'Encrypted Home Directory'.

    After some unused files clean up, the number of usage is changing now.
    I just surprised that the number result is different between 'df' in the terminal and the number in the 'System Monitor' dialog window, a small difference of home usage, 95% for df and 94% for Sys Monitor

    Anyway here's my fstab;
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part7 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part8 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part5 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST980815A_5LY2HPVP-part6 swap swap default 0 0
    /dev/mapper/cr_.lulik /media ext4 acl,user_xattr,noauto 0 0
    /home/lulik/.cocomeo /mnt/cocomeo crypt loop,noauto,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you
    I never used any encryption on my home directories so not sure how it works.
    But AFAIK an encrypted folder isn't on a different partition nor compressed, so he can't be bigger than your home partition.

    So if you need more space you need to resize your home partition.
    Could you post the output of this command:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    If you use KDE you can use Konqueror and enable "File Size View" this will show you which files are big.
    To do this start Konqueror enter to folder to inspect and click on View->View mode->File Size View.

    Best of luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    sometimes my /home/gnampf/.xsession-errors grows to several gb...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    On 2011-03-19 10:06, lulik wrote:
    >
    > Hello Edward,
    >
    > Tanks for your reply.
    >
    > here's my df
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    > /dev/sda7 6.1G 4.4G 1.5G 76% /
    > udev 495M 1.8M 493M 1% /dev
    > /dev/sda8 8.2G 7.4G 397M 95% /home
    > /dev/sda1 40G 34G 5.5G 87% /windows/C
    > /dev/sda5 20G 4.4G 16G 23% /windows/D
    > /home/lulik.img 39G 2.7G 34G 8% /home/lulik
    > /dev/sdb2 9.8G 8.5G 1.3G 88% /media/IBM2
    > /dev/sdb3 8.5G 4.8G 3.7G 57% /media/IBM3
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > what I do not understand is, the /home/lulik/ usage is only 8%.


    That's because it is an encrypted home space.

    The strange thing is that the image is bigger than the home partition where
    it seems to reside. Maybe it has holes.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: Home directory is running out space

    That indicates you are having error in your X system. Maybe a video drive problem. What errors are you seeing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •