Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot, can't update

Default Can't boot, can't update

I have upgraded from SuSE version 11.3 (which worked well) using zypper dup. Unfortunately, an earlier post regarding resolution of a CPU crash during boot turned out to be premature, as it is now intermittent. When booting, the system:
    (1) UDV reports a CPU crash (on-screen dump)
    (2) if the computer is reset (turned off, then on again), it will eventually either boot up normally (rare) or display a screen with a very wrong resolution setting. Repeatedly rebooting will eventually tease the system into normal operation, but it usually takes several attempts. Several Grub parameters have been tried but don't seem to make any difference. The display adapter is an Intel 845G for which a /etc/dhcpd.conf file has been configured.
    (3) Once operating, the system cannot update, either using zypper up or the Gnome GUI update manager. Running zypper update from root yields:
    GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL). After several such messages, the update proceeds, but locks up with:
    Retrieving: timezone-2011b_2011c-1.2.1_0.3.1.i586.delta.rpm [0% (0 B/s)]
    Interestingly, the download of timezone data often continues up to 74%, then stalls. Initially, the timezone file begins to download, but stops at 74%. The B/s then counts down to zero. The download attempt will time out, then continue to retry until manually aborted.
    The GLib error can be supressed with su - root, but update still fails with the timezone download.
    Any help appreciated.

All seems normal until it reaches a time

Default Re: Can't boot, can't update

Here is a paste of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    URL: SUSE Paste

Blog Entries

Did you give any though to doing a new install?

If that were my machine, even if I managed to get it working, I'd never be content with it., having all that history
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I'd rather resolve the issues with the display driver and update manager. The rest of the system seems ok (it has been used to send this message).
    A reinstall is a good 12 hour project, with reconfiguration and re-installation of an admittedly few applications.

Blog Entries

12 hours
    Heavens above!

I have a fairly simple install too but a couple of hours is more than enough.

Re Your issue. If you boot to level 3 is the network still down?
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Init 3 brings me to a terminal prompt. The network seems to be functional, (ping shows response to another computer in the LAN here, and so Internet should also be accessible) but attempts to run firefox indicate a screen is not defined, and startx brings up a desktop in an invalid screen resolution.
    12 hour install is not unusual by the time one spends teasing programs that need special configuration and interface (access to a printer though another computer for example) in a Windows workgroup network. Try installing Irfanview with the proper desktop icon, for example. Turns out one has to manually install the icon file and then reconfigure the launcher. To get the Intel screen driver to work (at least in 11.3) it is necessary to install dhcp.conf, which was borrowed from a working system (after hours of configuration) and transfer the file from a terminal. Could be the dhcp.conf file is not identified properly in 11.4, and that is what is wrong with the 11.4 installation. A number of other special stunts are needed to get a SuSE Linux OS operating properly on the Dell computers here, and the stunts change with each new release.
    With the accolades presented on the OpenSuSE page for 11.4, I thought I'd see if some of the particularities would disappear, but.... It does seem to run faster when it is working.

One curiosity, I notice in the System Monitor screen the report of two CPU's, even though the system has only one processor. It is a Pentium 4 with 512MB memory.

Blog Entries

You can't run a graphical firefox in level 3

My thought was considering your comment
    (3) Once operating, the system cannot update, either using zypper up or the Gnome GUI update manager
    That you could try running updates from level 3

You can run yast like this BTW
    Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More....
    Tumbleweed_KDE

On 03/19/2011 05:36 AM, hbco2 wrote:
    >
    > One curiosity, I notice in the System Monitor screen the report of two
    > CPU's, even though the system has only one processor. It is a Pentium 4
    > with 512MB memory.

Your CPU probably implements HT. That counts as a second processor even though
    that capability is mostly Intel hype.

Quote Originally Posted by hbco2 View Post
    Init 3 brings me to a terminal prompt. The network seems to be functional, (ping shows response to another computer in the LAN here, and so Internet should also be accessible) but attempts to run firefox indicate a screen is not defined, and startx brings up a desktop in an invalid screen resolution.
    12 hour install is not unusual by the time one spends teasing programs that need special configuration and interface (access to a printer though another computer for example) in a Windows workgroup network. Try installing Irfanview with the proper desktop icon, for example. Turns out one has to manually install the icon file and then reconfigure the launcher. To get the Intel screen driver to work (at least in 11.3) it is necessary to install dhcp.conf, which was borrowed from a working system (after hours of configuration) and transfer the file from a terminal. Could be the dhcp.conf file is not identified properly in 11.4, and that is what is wrong with the 11.4 installation. A number of other special stunts are needed to get a SuSE Linux OS operating properly on the Dell computers here, and the stunts change with each new release.
    With the accolades presented on the OpenSuSE page for 11.4, I thought I'd see if some of the particularities would disappear, but.... It does seem to run faster when it is working.
    IMHO, the cpu crash or whatever interferes with the boot. The Xorg.0.log looks clean no problems, preferred res 1280x whatever right?
    Try booting with your installation DVD into Rescue Mode
    Then run fsck on all of your partitions.
    Reboot check for errors in /var/log/messages, boot.msg, dmesg and Xorg.0.log

man fsck
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast