Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange output from gparted

Default Strange output from gparted

As you will see from the screenshot, I am getting a strange display on all ext4 partitions in gparted - but only when the version of gparted installed in opensuse is used. The version is 0.8.0-1.2.
    As displayed in the screenshot, I have checked that e2fsprogs is installed. It is, and the version is 41+ (ie 1.41.14-5.1)
    I do not get the triangles displayed for ext4 partitions when I use gparted from within Ubuntu or Fedora - just opensuse.
    fsck has been run several times and completes quickly, reporting that the file system is clean, on all ext4 partitions.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Strange output from gparted

As you will see from the screenshot, I am getting a strange display on all ext4 partitions in gparted - but only when the version of gparted installed in opensuse is used. The version is 0.8.0-1.2.
    As displayed in the screenshot, I have checked that e2fsprogs is installed. It is, and the version is 41+ (ie 1.41.14-5.1)
    I do not get the triangles displayed for ext4 partitions when I use gparted from within Ubuntu or Fedora - just opensuse.
    fsck has been run several times and completes quickly, reporting that the file system is clean, on all ext4 partitions.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    May I ask what repository you obtained GParted from? In openSUSE 11.4 with default repositories and with Pckman added, I can't find GParted in the listings. When in YaST / Software / Software Repositories, you can search on gparted and go to the versions tab which should tell you where it was installed from. I went back to my openSUSE 11.3 install and found that GParted 0.7 had come from Packman, but not finding it there with openSUSE 11.4.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Strange output from gparted

Sorry for the delay.
    In versions it just says "0.8.0-1.2 (x86_64) installed"
    There are 2 other options below that which give the same version (one is i586) which are showing as being from Contrib repository.
    Is there another way to tell?

On 2011-03-20 03:06, quackers wrote:

> Is there another way to tell?

find the gparted binary, say with "which gparted". Then run

rpm -qif /path/gparted

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Does this look right?
    Code:
    suse@suse:~> which gparted
    which: no gparted in (/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin:/home/suse/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin)
    suse@suse:~>
    Looks dodgy to me :-)

Blog Entries

It would probably be in "/usr/sbin" or perhaps "/usr/local/sbin", which are not on the list or the standard path for non-root users. Try the "which" in a root shell.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Aha! Thank you :-)
    Code:
    suse:~ # which gparted
    /usr/sbin/gparted
    From the output below I would assume that gparted came from Contrib
    Code:
    suse:~ # rpm -qif /usr/sbin/gparted
    Name        : gparted                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version     : 0.8.0                             Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:11.4:Contrib
    Release     : 1.2                           Build Date: Tue Mar  8 19:17:19 2011
    Install Date: Thu Mar 17 11:08:22 2011         Build Host: build17
    Group       : System/Filesystems            Source RPM: gparted-0.8.0-1.2.src.rpm
    Size        : 1434462                          License: GPL v2
    Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue Mar  8 19:18:30 2011, Key ID 4c236e3c62b21ea4
    URL         : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    Summary     : Gnome Partition Editor
    Description :
    GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing,
    moving, checking and copying partitions, and the filesystems on them. This is
    useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage,
    copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another
    (disk imaging).
    Distribution: openSUSE:11.4:Contrib

On 2011-03-20 07:06, quackers wrote:
    > From the output below I would assume that gparted came from Contrib

Well, then you should think of reporting the problem/bug to them. Good
    luck, because there is no standard way to report to them. Bugzillas about
    packages in the buildservice are ignored.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

I was wondering if anybody else has a similar problem. Not so far, it seems :-)

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Strange output from gparted

I was wondering if anybody else has a similar problem. Not so far, it seems :-)
    quackers, I just installed GParted from openSUSE 11.4 Contrib and ran it on my PC, where I have three hard drives and several partitions, but I did not see the issue that you are having. I must tell you that I did have a hard drive on this very system, a 500 GB unit from Segate that would boot just fine, but when I ran GParted .7 from openSUSE 11.3, it told me the drive was blank, meaning the partition table had some sort of problem. I even redid the whole drive and came up with the same issue. Just because GParted can not handle it does not mean the data is lost, but it does mean it is time for action. If the problems are with just a single hard drive, as was true in my case, perhaps it means it is time to either find a new drive or redo the partitions. In my case, I just purchased a One Tera-byte unit which I am using now. I found it (an Hitachi) online from Amazon for $50 US (plus shipping) and GParted seems to think it is OK.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast