Thread: Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

Default Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

Hello,

I have a dual boot with xp and opensuse 11.4. There has been an annoying 'system fan has failed' error message that was dealt with by replacing a fan and installing speedfan and hardware monitor on the windows partition, but my opensuse installation has no such programs running, and I want to keep things cool while I'm running opensuse.
    Speedfan is a program that tells the fans to turn on and off. Usually according to the temperature that the sensors are reading. The program shows temperatures and fan speeds and allows you to have control.
    Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

Your help is most appreciated.

Default Απ: Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

I thing no. Try with your widgets or if you have not many, download some of them.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

I use gKrellm it's low or resource and displays things like temps, ram usage, etc .............
    It has "alerts" which when triggered will execute commands based on both warn and alarm limits, these "alarms" can be set for individual fans, temps, ram usage, etc .........
    Way cool app - I usage it to monitor ram usage and it kills the app that leaks when ram hits 90%
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Default Re: Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

Sorry i don't think I fully answered your actual q - you want to control and monitor fan speed and I responded with just monitoring fan speed - my bad
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

This may help:

Repository: openSUSE-11.4-Oss
    Name: sensors
    Version: 3.2.0-9.12.1
    Arch: i586
    Vendor: openSUSE
    Installed: No
    Installed Size: 294.0 KiB
    Summary: Hardware health monitoring for Linux
    Description:
    This package includes programs that show data from some sensor chips.
    The interface /proc/bus/i2c/ is provided by loading kernel modules.
    Which modules to load can be interactively detected as root by calling
    /usr/sbin/sensors-detect. Warning, before using the sensors the default
    configuration in /etc/sensors.conf has to be checked and changed to fit
    the actual set up of the mainboard and the BIOS used on that specific
    mainboard!

but I only see temperature readings in there. No fan stuff.
    Sorry.
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

xfce4-panel-plugin-sensor is an applet for the XFCE desktop but includes a GUI application which can be run in Xorg under any desktop environment.

info: zypper info xfce4-panel-plugin-sensor
    install: zypper install xfce4-panel-plugin-sensor

The executable is /usr/bin/xfce4-sensors
    Its desktop file (used to create the menu entry in KDE or Gnome) is /usr/share/applications/xfce4-sensors.desktop

Default Απ: Re: Is there a fan speed/temperature monitoring program for opensuse? I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by google01103 View Post
    I use gKrellm it's low or resource and displays things like temps, ram usage, etc .............
    It has "alerts" which when triggered will execute commands based on both warn and alarm limits, these "alarms" can be set for individual fans, temps, ram usage, etc .........
    Way cool app - I usage it to monitor ram usage and it kills the app that leaks when ram hits 90%
    Hi,where do i find this gKrellm?

It's in the oss repository (gkrellm, no caps).