Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: problem with yast backup!

  1. #1

    Default problem with yast backup!

    Dear all I am trying to use Yast's backup to backup my /home directory.

    I have the following partitions ready

    /home with 95Gb free
    / with 54 GB free
    /media/disk with 450GB free

    I want the backup of my home to be stored in /media/disk (that will be used only for storing my backups.)

    After opensuse finds the files that needed to be backed up (with a total of 110GB) give me the warning /tmp might not have enough space to store the backup.

    What should I do ? I have configured opensuse to store my backup in the right disk /media/disk that has space. It seems that opensuse uses /tmp to save the backup there.

    How can you rescue me from that?

    Best Regards
    Alex

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,762

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    Use a different backup utility.

    kdar
    luckyBackup
    DarGui

    come to mind there are others.

  3. #3

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    Yep, I noticed that for YaST Backup myself. How or why it grows is beyond me.

    Try other backup software PartImage Partimage-manual Usage - Partimage Or download the source, configure, make, make install.
    on GpartedLiveCD GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
    or Knoppix Live CD/DVD KNOPPIX Linux Live CD
    will backup the entire partition on to multiple DVDs.

    SeaGate Discwizard DiscWizard | Seagate IIRC you can create a bootable CD.

    Both of these can/are set to backup the used parts of the partition.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    i use a rsync based backup for /home. This is the best method i found for this.

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    DATE=$(date +%F)
    LOGFILE="$HOME/.backup_$USER.log"
    
    if [ -f $LOGFILE ]
    then
    cat /dev/null > $LOGFILE
    else
    #fixing the exclude patterns
    #without this line the script is likely to fail
    touch $LOGFILE
    fi
    
    /usr/bin/rsync -rtpogv --delete -clis --exclude=*.vdi --exclude=.backup_*.log --log-file=$LOGFILE $HOME/ /mnt/media/Backup/home_$USER/
    SUCCESS=$?
    
    if [ $SUCCESS -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo -e "$USER \n your backup failed. rerun manually" | mail -s "weekly backup failed on $DATE" $USER
    else
    echo -e "$USER \n your backup has finished. Details can be found in $LOGFILE" | mail -s "weekly backup with rsync finished on $DATE" $USER
    fi
    
    exit 0
    for the system backup i use the yast tool and added a automatic backup with this post installation script:

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    DATE=$(date +%F)
    
    #delete Backups which are older than 14 days
    find /mnt/media/Backup/system/ -ctime +14 -name "system-full*" -delete
    
    #rename the backup
    mv system-full.tar system-full-$DATE.tar
    mv system-full.xml system-full-$DATE.xml

  5. #5

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    Quote Originally Posted by l1zard View Post
    i use a rsync based backup for /home. This is the best method i found for this.

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    DATE=$(date +%F)
    LOGFILE="$HOME/.backup_$USER.log"
    
    if [ -f $LOGFILE ]
    then
    cat /dev/null > $LOGFILE
    else
    #fixing the exclude patterns
    #without this line the script is likely to fail
    touch $LOGFILE
    fi
    
    /usr/bin/rsync -rtpogv --delete -clis --exclude=*.vdi --exclude=.backup_*.log --log-file=$LOGFILE $HOME/ /mnt/media/Backup/home_$USER/
    SUCCESS=$?
    
    if [ $SUCCESS -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo -e "$USER \n your backup failed. rerun manually" | mail -s "weekly backup failed on $DATE" $USER
    else
    echo -e "$USER \n your backup has finished. Details can be found in $LOGFILE" | mail -s "weekly backup with rsync finished on $DATE" $USER
    fi
    
    exit 0
    for the system backup i use the yast tool and added a automatic backup with this post installation script:

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    DATE=$(date +%F)
    
    #delete Backups which are older than 14 days
    find /mnt/media/Backup/system/ -ctime +14 -name "system-full*" -delete
    
    #rename the backup
    mv system-full.tar system-full-$DATE.tar
    mv system-full.xml system-full-$DATE.xml
    Nice. Do your backups of $HOME include all of your hidden files and hidden folders? What about /etc configuration files?
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    On 2011-03-18 12:36, alaios wrote:

    > After opensuse finds the files that needed to be backed up (with a
    > total of 110GB) give me the warning /tmp might not have enough space to
    > store the backup.


    No, it can not save the temporary files while creating the archive. YaST
    backup is not designed for large home backups.

    I have not used the tool recently, see if you change the temporary files
    path. If not, you could consider that as a bug.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    hi

    yes i basicly rsync the complete users home, thus i do not have to restore my settings if i have installed the same packages after a restore.

    forget about that script. does'nt work with cron though. the whole yast2 backup tool is messed up. so i unfortunately must do this by hand every week. which enoys me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    @l1zard
    Why not place your rsync commands into a shell program and run it as a cron job?

    ♯#
    ## Crontab -e
    ##
    ## Every Thursday at 1145 pm run /home/l1zard/rsync_home.sh
    45 23 * * 4 sh /home/l1zard/programs/rysnc_home.sh


    #!/usr/bin
    ##
    ## file /home/l1zard/programs/rysnc_home.sh
    ##
    ## rsync commands to back up all of /home/l1zard/ follow:

    Using programs in a /home/l1zard/programs folder minimizes the need to update the cron tables, and you can change the programs run by root without being superuser.
    On multi-user PCs, you'd put programs intended to be run by superusers into protected superuser only folders.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    maybe i wasn't clear about this in the first place. I DO USE my scripts along side with cron. i have also a script for restore users home. Both scripts are located at /usr/sbin.

    there are many tasks to get a backup done. however the advantage of using the yast tool is that this will backup a list of packages you have currently installed in your system, files that have been modified or are not belonging to any package will also be saved. This keeps the backup simple and small. I see no need to backup files which are belonging to packages. Unfortunately i don't know any tool that would accomplish this task too.

    OT: i am currently writing a script that gets all packages currently installed in the system in tar.gz archive. Is there any way to only download the packages which are not already in zyppers cache. Because when connection with the server gets interrupted the script has to start all over agian. would help if someone has an idea.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: problem with yast backup!

    On 2011-04-15 04:06, l1zard wrote:
    > I see no need to backup files which are belonging to
    > packages. Unfortunately i don't know any tool that would accomplish this
    > task too.


    I wrote my own script years ago that did what yast did. I could dig it out.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •