Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shut Down, then Start without having to Log In ???

Default Shut Down, then Start without having to Log In ???

Hello,

yesterday I had to shut down my laptop in a hurry. This morning, I powered up and saw to my consternation that several Firefox Tabs did not load (server unavailable). I gave it several tries, but
    it did not work. Hiding Firefox, I saw that KWallet was waiting for a password. After that, I entered the password for SU, and Firefox worked. Then it struck me:

I did not login - repeat: I DID NOT LOGIN - , no username, no password. And the password for KWallet is not the same as my user PW.

If I am correct, openSuSE 11.4 (64 bits) may have security problem. Could somebody please check if they can duplicate the problem? Do:

1. Start Firefox 4.0 Beta 12
    2. Start some application that needs a password stored in KWallet, do not enter the PW
    3. Place the Firefox window over the KWallet wind for the PW
    4. Do a shutdown via the Icon
    5. Wait 30 seconds after power down
    6. Turn the power on

If you now enter the session without specifying any user name or PW, then this message has some merit; if not, I will try to duplicate the issue tomorrow.

Best regards,
    J C Anker

Default Re: Shut Down, then Start without having to Log In ???

I guess you hibernated your system in the hurry you had.
    Henk van Velden

Hello,

are you telling me that you do not have to enter a password when you wake the system from hibernation ???

J C Anker

Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    Hello,

are you telling me that you do not have to enter a password when you wake the system from hibernation ???

J C Anker
    Yes, that is correct, given that you hibernated from within a running session.

However you can also hibernate (suspend/shutdown/restart) you maching from the login screen.

Hello,

this is interesting! However, I am pretty sure that I had the red Icon in the middle of the screen when I did the shutdown (I was in a hurry, not in a panic). I will try duplicating the exercise.

Best regards,
    J C Anker

I see you calmed a bit down after your first surprise

The only thing I try is to ananlyze your problem. As I asume you do not have automatic logon (else you most probably wouldn't have started this thread) and as what you describe does not happen in all the other systems (and as I do not believe in magic, at least not in computers), we must find out where your description must be wrong. One place where descriptions go wrong is that the OP makes an assumption that is simply not true.
    Now I myself have no laptop and I do never hibernate my desktop, but as what you describe can not be true for a shutdown, I guessed for hibernation. Again I have no experience, but IIRC you can hibernate laptops by simlpy closing the lid. So it "might be" that in your hurry, you did not click really on the red cross and closed the lid without seeing that you missed it, let alone veryfying that the shutdown completed including the switch off.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by jc_anker View Post
    Hello,

this is interesting! However, I am pretty sure that I had the red Icon in the middle of the screen when I did the shutdown (I was in a hurry, not in a panic). I will try duplicating the exercise.

Best regards,
    J C Anker
    I have just found something that might be interesting, if for you an unlocked session after waking up from hibernation is not such a good thing. There is a utility called KShutdown that offers "Lock screen before Hibernate" and if I am not mistaken, the session would be locked after you woke your machine up from hibernation (I haven't tested though).

KShutdown is in the KDE:Extra repos, you would just have to pick the one matching your install: KDE repositories - openSUSE

And just one more thing. You can actually see from the logs, whether you hibernated or not. There is a handy application for the KDE desktop called KSytemlog for example, which you can use to look at System or Kernel logs to find out what precisely happened when you supposedly shut-down and booted the machine again.

since s/he has been experimenting trying to duplicate the problem for
    four hours now, i suspect the next time we hear from her/him, s/he
    will not be a happy camper....having shot her-/him-self in the foot....

a couple of times..

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

To DenverD,

if your e-mail above is mirroring your attitude, I must say that you are pretty ignorant. In any case you need to improve your style.

You assume that I have been working on the problem for four hours. This is wrong. I have not been working on the problem since my last post.
    Could you please stop your nonsense.

I logged in 5 minutes ago, and:

THE PROBLEM IS REPRODUCEABLE !!!

I suppose that you are too ignorant to learn more.

J C Anker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast