Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: installing openSUSE 11.4 with vmware player...

Cool installing openSUSE 11.4 with vmware player...

i recently downloaded openSUSE 11.4 DVD.
    i'd like to know,
    1)does that DVD included both KDE & Gnome platforms?If yes,how do i switch between those?
    2)currently,i'm running on windows vista so i installed openSUSE virtually using vmware player so that i can learn a bit of openSUSE before completely switching to it....,when installing i didn't noticed any option to choose b/w kde or Gnome,is that by default?
    3)moreover when installed,i didn't saw any K-button or so...
    4)when i install it as my primary OS i.e. not virtually,will i get those switching options?
    5)i'm a newbie so please tell me which desktop environment do u recommend?
    i read KDE is more customisable and i too love to get as many options as possible but without compromising with performance.....

Blog Entries

Default Re: installing openSUSE 11.4 with vmware player...

1)does that DVD included both KDE & Gnome platforms?If yes,how do i switch between those?
    You select to install one or the other. If you want both, once one of them is up and running, from within that you can add all the software for the other. Then when you boot the VM , at the logon screen there's a button where you can choose which DE to log onto.
    installing i didn't noticed any option to choose b/w kde or Gnome,is that by default?
    It's there if you're using the DVD, you just missed it
    3)moreover when installed,i didn't saw any K-button or so...
    I don't understand what u mean, please amplify
    4)when i install it as my primary OS i.e. not virtually,will i get those switching options?
    Once you install one of them, then you can add the other, but I noticed in 11.3 that my Gnome apps intruded into my KDE environment. Thus I avoided a dual install in 11.4 because it ****** ** ***. Having the two sets of softwares installed simultaneously in your main OS might be irritating for you.
    5)i'm a newbie so please tell me which desktop environment do u recommend?
    I like KDE today. Last week I liked Gnome.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Smile Re: installing openSUSE 11.4 with vmware player...

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I like KDE today. Last week I liked Gnome.
    i think it would take me a mllion years more to decide whether KDE or Gnome,
    everyone just keeps making me more "troubled" and "confused" whenever ask that question......

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I don't understand what u mean, please amplify
    i meant that when i read installation docs,i noticed that i would see a K button(if i use KDE)on my desktop........,but i observed nothing there was just a green openSUSE logo representing "start menu"....therefore i didn't got to know whether i was using KDE or Gnome.

Vmware player did "Easy Install" so i think it skipped that step of choosing b/w the DEs.......
    please tell me how to switch to other DE when i've installed the OS...

Just install another DE and you should get an option of choosing the DE in the login screen.
    I know I am a pain, but I'm just trying to learn

Quote Originally Posted by blah01 View Post
    Just install another DE and you should get an option of choosing the DE in the login screen.
    i installed it using DVD that contains both DEs......
    did u mean that everytime i login,i will be able to choose b/w the two........??????

As far as I know (If I'm wrong someone correct me), during the installation you choose DE (only one). Later on you can install additional one. For example you have chosen an xfce during installation, then you install KDE. What you have to do is to set the login screen as a kde (you do that easily in yast). Then in the login screen (KDE) you will have an option of a X session with two choices xfce and kde (in our example).

link for our example
    How to login into KDE when in XFCE login screen?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meTroubled View Post
    i meant that when i read installation docs,i noticed that i would see a K button(if i use KDE)on my desktop........,but i observed nothing there was just a green openSUSE logo representing "start menu"....therefore i didn't got to know whether i was using KDE or Gnome.
    If it showed a panel like this when u clicked the green logo it was KDE
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/comp...ive-k-menu.jpg
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by meTroubled View Post
    You check that easily just choose a KDE application with the -version option for example.
    Code:
    kwrite -version
    Qt: 4.7.1
    KDE Development Platform: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6"
    KWrite: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6"
    Update
    Think my previous solution can be misleading, since if you have both DEs it won't tell you much which you are currently using. What I recommend is the following.
    yast -> /etc/sysconfig editor -> Desktop -> Display manager -> DISPLAYMANAGER will tell you what is your default DE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast