Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alsa: cannot record sound

Default alsa: cannot record sound

Hi,

I've got some audio issues I'm hoping somebody can help me resolve.

I've got sound - I hear all the system sounds, I can play sound files, CDs, etc. But I have not been able to record and play back anything with success.

Originally, when I would record (either with arecord or with audacity) I would get extremely low quality sound, with lots of noise and crackling, and my recorded voice was barely audible (even with volume turned up to max). I played with alsamixer for hours without being able to improve matters.

Things are worse now. I tried installing alsa-firmware, as indicated at SDB:Audio troubleshooting - openSUSE. I also tried updating alsa following instructions given at SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE. I'm not sure which of these changes did it, but the result is that I can no longer record ANYTHING at all. I get absolutely nothing, not even the low quality noise and crackling I was getting before. It's as if there is no audio input at all.

Uninstalling alsa-firmware and reverting back to the older alsa version (1.0.20) didn't change a thing.

I'm running openSUSE 11.2, kernel 2.6.31.14-0.6-desktop, alsa 1.0.20. My sound card is a Creative X-Fi (by the way, yast cannot detect my card, another problem I have never solved).

Any suggestions?

Default Re: alsa: cannot record sound

Weird. In alsamixer, muting the Digital-IO channel fixed my recording issue. I can now record my voice with adequate volume and only a tiny bit of static.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dspathis View Post
    I'm running openSUSE 11.2, kernel 2.6.31.14-0.6-desktop, alsa 1.0.20. My sound card is a Creative X-Fi (by the way, yast cannot detect my card, another problem I have never solved).
    Support for the Creative X-Fi has never been good because for the longest time
    1. Creative provided limited to no technical details on the device to the open source community, and
    2. Creative provided a mostly non-functional Linux driver, and
    3. the Linux community were not able to reverse engineer a driver.

Eventually, Creative released the code for their non-functional driver, and the Linux community were able to take that and patch together a partial driver (but having to do that still without all the information on the Creative X-Fi) and hence its not the greatest driver from what I have read.

In openSUSE-11.2, YaST definitely does NOT support that driver. If one gets the X-Fi working and then tries to run YaST > hardware > sound , YaST WILL likely break the sound configuration.

To get it functioning one needs to be certain they do NOT use YaST, and the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf (or maybe it is sound.conf) needs to be removed. Do NOT leave any backups in the /etc/modprobe.d directory, as older versions of openSUSE would treat all files in that directory (including backups) as operational files.

One's best bet may be to update alsa per the guide: SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE which you claim you have, but I would like to do a quality check of that update as it is my experience that many users simply mess up in their efforts to do that.

So, what is the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa *alsa*
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    and with the PC connected to the Internet what is the output website/url given by running the diagnostic script:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    being certain to select the SHARE/UPLOAD option.

Also, give me a list of all the files in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory.

Again, YasT > hardware > sound does NOT support that driver and it likely WILL break any driver configuration that YaST functionality is run.

i have a similar problem.

i am running opensuse 64 bit - lxde.

At first , i could not get sound from youtube or from playing mp3s. i tried installing pulseaudio but no go. I finaly got it working by adding the user to the 'audio' group. Now sound (playback ) is working.

But not for recording.

i cant record anything. tried selecting all mic1 , mic2 , line in Pulse Volume Control but no luck. Also checked alsa mixer to check the mic levels there as well. but no luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoMeswara View Post
    i have a similar problem.

i am running opensuse 64 bit - lxde.

At first , i could not get sound from youtube or from playing mp3s. i tried installing pulseaudio but no go. I finaly got it working by adding the user to the 'audio' group. Now sound (playback ) is working.

But not for recording.

i cant record anything. tried selecting all mic1 , mic2 , line in Pulse Volume Control but no luck. Also checked alsa mixer to check the mic levels there as well. but no luck.
    You could provide the information that I asked user dspathis to provide.

will do. 19,899 posts ? awesome ....

Oldcpu,

# rpm -qa *alsa*

alsa-oss-1.0.17-29.2.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
    alsa-1.0.23-2.12.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
    alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-29.2.x86_64
    alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-746.1.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
    alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64

rpm -qa *pulse*

libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    libpulse-browse0-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    pulseaudio-utils-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    pulseaudio-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
    mpg123-pulse-1.13.2-1.pm.2.1.x86_64
    alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-1.9.x86_64
    libpulse0-32bit-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    vlc-aout-pulse-1.1.8-1.pm.2.2.x86_64
    libpulse0-0.9.21-10.3.1.x86_64
    audacious-plugins-output-pulse-2.4.4-1.pm.2.5.x86_64

# rpm -q libasound2

libasound2-1.0.23-2.12.x86_64

# uname -a
    Linux localhost 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-12-13 11:13:53 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Output of
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh has been uploaded/shared.

It gave loads of info.Its at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a2...5ca02c2f943c0c

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoMeswara View Post
    Output of
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh has been uploaded/shared.

It gave loads of info.Its at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a2...5ca02c2f943c0c
    Thanks. The first thing I note is your hardware has a VIA VT1708S hardware audio codec which is almost certainly different from user dspathis's X-Fi and hence it is likely your problem (with similar symptoms) is a different problem. In the case of your PC, I note 1 64-bit openSUSE-11.3 with the 2.6.34.7-0.7-desktop kernel and the 1.0.22.1 (driver) / 1.0.23 (utilities) alsa versions with the VIA VT1708S hardware audio codec.

In your mixer I note reference to a 'mic' and a 'front mic' suggesting your PC may have more than one mic correction. You need to tell me WHAT mic are you trying to record from ? An internal mic ? (I don't think the case). An external mic (not USB) plugged in to the back of the PC ? The front/side of the PC ? A USB mic ?

Further, in the mixer I note:

Code:
    !!Amixer output
    !!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [SB]

Card hw:0 'SB'/'HDA ATI SB at 0xfbdf4000 irq 16'
      Mixer name	: 'VIA VT1708S'
    Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
      Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
      Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
    Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
      Front Left: Playback 20 [65%] [-4.50dB] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 20 [65%] [-4.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
      Front Left: Capture 3 [100%] [30.75dB]
      Front Right: Capture 3 [100%] [30.75dB]
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
      Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [30.00dB] [on]
      Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [30.00dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
      Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-16.50dB] [on]
      Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-16.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Independent HP',0
      Items: 'OFF' 'ON'
      Item0: 'OFF'
    Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
      Items: 'Stereo Mixer' 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
      Item0: 'Mic'
    Simple mixer control 'Smart 5.1',0
      Mono: Playback [on]
    Your mixer has the 'mic' selected (and not front mic) and I note the 'front mic' boost capture at 0%. Have you selected the correct mic ??

What are you doing for a record test? What app are you using ?

I recommend something simple, like:
    Code:
    arecord -f cd test.wav
    and then replay test.wav and see if you get sound.

I also note you have pulse audio running and a large number of alsa rpms installed, suggesting to me that you have a Gnome desktop ? In openSUSE-11.4 I found installing 'pauvcontrol' was useful for pulse (and then running 'pavucontrol' from a terminal) and it may be the same for Gnome in 11.3 (I don't know here - I'm a KDE/LXDE user). Else the program 'alsamixer' may be useful for tuning your mic.

> You need to tell me WHAT mic are you trying to record from ?

An external mic. I am running opensuse 64 bits lxde , not gnome

> The front/side of the PC ?

At the back of the pc. The cound card has only one mic input. It also has a line in 9 i have tried putting the mic in both )

> Your mixer has the 'mic' selected (and not front mic) and I note the 'front mic' boost capture at 0%. Have you selected the correct mic ??

i didnt see that. Surprised to see it actually. i have run 'alsamixer ' many times but did not see that. F4 helped.

> arecord -f cd test.wav

i will try this.

Is there any commandline setting ( with amixer ) that i can use to just set my mic and set the recording volume to max?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast