Wine and Office 2007

openSuse 11.4 patched.
Wine installed from the distribution

loaded terminal and did a su -
Mounted the Office 2007 iso
did a “wine SETUP.EXE” from the mount (from same terminal so was still in as root).

Configured winecfg to run office apps as XP mode.

Initial launch of word runs the config (expected), then errors out with a “cannot open template Building Blocks.DOTX” error, followed by a Microsoft Word has not been installed for the current user.

Excel and power point just give the not installed for current user error.

Any tips to get this to work?

Thanks for any tips!!!

WO

First line of enquiry - check ownership of Office files. If you import anything from a Windows filesystem, the distro will default to a particular set of permissions which may be the wrong ones for installing an application as the assumption will be that you are importing data rather than executables.

On 03/18/2011 12:06 AM, whiteowl76 wrote:
>
> Mounted the Office 2007 iso

-=welcome=- first time poster…

you don’t mention your experience with Linux so if i seem to be
condescending it is only me displaying my ignorance of your cloaked
super powers:

the best help you can get for WINE exists at WINE HQ
<http://www.winehq.org/> where you will find all the info on how to
install, and all the tricks and tips you might need…

there you will find details on what works well with WINE, and what
does not…

[please do not read this to be a brush off…come back, it is just
that WINE HQ is the best place for the very latest details on
WINE----of course, the best details on openSUSE are here.]

i have no idea how well Word’07 runs in WINE, but i suggest you give
LibreOffice Writer a good look…it will NOT be exactly like Word’07…

you might benefit from these two articles:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_migrate_from_Windows
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

OK, tried to reply, but not showing up…
As far as file ownership - the dotx file is root as the owner with RW rights, the group is users with RW rights.
Was launching as a super user in the terminal window.

Sorry, guess I was assuming you had xray vision and telepathic abilities…
No I am not a Linux guru by any measure, I do know enough to be quite dangerous, but I understand that.
Wine is another thing. I am a newbie at it.
I have looked at winehq, good resource.
I followed the step by step on installing Office 2007 including the library piece.
No go.
The error points to not being able to open the template in the /root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/application data/microsoft/office 12/1033/Block Build.dotx

In the terminal I launched wine winword.exe from I see:
kbuildsycoca4(8558)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file “/usr/share/applications/YaST2/nfs.desktop” has Type= “Application” but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files.

/root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/application data/microsoft/office 12/1033/Block Build.dotx
Why do you use wine as root? Office 2007 is working well here. I have wine from the wine-Repo.

I’ve found that office 2007 doesnt work well with wine 1.3.x … I installed the latest stable wine, version 1.2.3 ( Wine download - Wine 1.2.3 / 1.3.30 ) and was able to get office running beautifully. there are some dependencies that will need to be installed in parallel if they havent been installed previously, such as flex and bison. Im having a bit of issue getting wine-gecko installed without using Yast because the Yast install for wine-gecko wants to install wine 1.3.x with it, but office still runs fine. the only modification from the default wine config is to set an override where riched20.dll is set to native.

scaylor had a good suggestion saying about dependencies. I think u need install some libs with wine tricks. Do google search there are examples of office installed under ubuntu which might be usefull to u to.

Good Luck.

Never run Wine as root. FAQ - The Official Wine Wiki

Initial launch of word runs the config (expected), then errors out with a “cannot open template Building Blocks.DOTX” error, followed by a Microsoft Word has not been installed for the current user.

If you were running it as a normal user after having installed it as root, the message is correct: Word hasn’t been installed for the current user; it’s been installed for root. The wineprefix must be owned by the user running apps within it.

Delete /root/.wine and install Office as a normal user.

Hi All,

I have just gotten back to openSuSE after a long run of using .deb distros. I now have 12.1 with the latest KDE Desktop (4.8.1).

I have just installed Microsoft Office 2007 using PlayOnLinux. I’ve run Microsoft Office in the past very well under UBUNTU and Linux Mint using PlayOnLinux.

I hope to be able to guide you through the install that I used. First of all I did a .rpm search for this app using PBone. I downloaded the PlayOnLinux-4.0.11-3.1.noarch.rpm and installed it.

Next, I took my Microsoft Office Disk and inserted it into my CD/DVD driver. Once loaded I opened the files and clicked the last entry "setup.exe. Once that was done I opened up PlayOnLinux. However, the secret is to find it. It ends up getting installed, at least on my system, in Games / Puzzles. So, just search for it. Once opened Microsoft Office 2007 should be shown. Click Install and away you go. There are a lot of Microsoft Office programs that are installed and they can be found if you do a search Applications. Keyword is Microsoft.

I am only interested in Microsoft Word so I click it and it should open for you and you will be asked to accept a few things. I elected not to and only entered my Name and initials.

The result is this:

In the past I have altered the Theme color by doing a Google to figure out how. It has been a while since I did that I am slowly learning what I have forgotten when I ran SuSE open 10 years ago. Those were the days!

I am not sure if you can see the Word Icon that I placed on my panel, but it is on the right, far distant from my other apps. Sort of my M$ revenge.

I hope this helps and I cannot assure success. However, the key elements seem to be getting PlayOnLinux installed and running the Microsoft Office 2007 setup exe.

PLEASE NOTE: I have used KSnapshot to get an image of M$ Word on my PC, uploaded it to ImageSheck, but ImageShack is down for an hour. I’ll post it when ImageShack is back.

Hi All,

Here is the image to go with the post above:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8586/snapshot6j.th.png](http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/snapshot6j.png/)

[QUOTE=jjmacey;2449366]Hi All,

I have just gotten back to openSuSE after a long run of using .deb distros. I now have 12.1 with the latest KDE Desktop (4.8.1).

I have just installed Microsoft Office 2007 using PlayOnLinux. I’ve run Microsoft Office in the past very well under UBUNTU and Linux Mint using PlayOnLinux.

I hope to be able to guide you through the install that I used. First of all I did a .rpm search for this app using PBone. I downloaded the PlayOnLinux-4.0.11-3.1.noarch.rpm and installed it.

Next, I took my Microsoft Office Disk and inserted it into my CD/DVD driver. Once loaded I opened the files and clicked the last entry "setup.exe. Once that was done I opened up PlayOnLinux. However, the secret is to find it. It ends up getting installed, at least on my system, in Games / Puzzles. So, just search for it. Once opened Microsoft Office 2007 should be shown. Click Install and away you go. There are a lot of Microsoft Office programs that are installed and they can be found if you do a search Applications. Keyword is Microsoft.

I am only interested in Microsoft Word so I click it and it should open for you and you will be asked to accept a few things. I elected not to and only entered my Name and initials.

The result is this:

In the past I have altered the Theme color by doing a Google to figure out how. It has been a while since I did that I am slowly learning what I have forgotten when I ran SuSE open 10 years ago. Those were the days!

I am not sure if you can see the Word Icon that I placed on my panel, but it is on the right, far distant from my other apps. Sort of my M$ revenge.

I hope this helps and I cannot assure success. However, the key elements seem to be getting PlayOnLinux installed and running the Microsoft Office 2007 setup exe.

PLEASE NOTE: I have used KSnapshot to get an image of M$ Word on my PC, uploaded it to ImageSheck, but ImageShack is down for an hour. I’ll post it when ImageShack is back.[/QUOTE]

Some suggestions on the same topic of getting office in linux

1. Try libreoffice i am personally using openoffice and it works for me (couple of years is all that is required for openoffice to become totally user-friendly)
  2. Get a virtualisation solution maybe vmworkstation or xen or multiboot (a trial version?) windows on your system … while it may be abit clumsy I am using sun virtualbox and tried to install Windows 7 Trial and/or 8 Developer as virtual machines and run basic Windows productivity applications off the VM … I ended up using Google Docs though.

:slight_smile:

Try libreoffice i am personally using openoffice and it works for me (couple of years is all that is required for openoffice to become totally user-friendly)

linrx,

I have converted a lot of people to Linux. All are stuck on running Microsoft Word. I give it to them with PlayOnLinux.

I imagine it could be the file extension issue as it happens for me I have to convert my documents to pdf or doc format when copying or emailing.