Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.4 samba won't run

Default 11.4 samba won't run

Hi all: Just rolled 11.4 (x64) out to my hove server. Copied over all my samba config files and started up samba - nothing. Manually started samba (/etc/init.d/smb start) and samba appears to start but checking the status does not show it running. Actually checking the status returns nothing. Stopping samba returns "unused".

Can someone help me out here? I have never had issues with opensuse and samba before.

Thanks, Chris.

Default Re: 11.4 samba won't run

Quote Originally Posted by cmosentine View Post
    Hi all: Just rolled 11.4 (x64) out to my hove server. Copied over all my samba config files and started up samba - nothing. Manually started samba (/etc/init.d/smb start) and samba appears to start but checking the status does not show it running. Actually checking the status returns nothing. Stopping samba returns "unused".

Can someone help me out here? I have never had issues with opensuse and samba before.

Thanks, Chris.
    Chris,
    did the same, upgraded my file-server and lost the clients connected with samba, thought it was because of updating and reinstalled fresh OS11.4, did not do the trick, sorry I cant help you, besides shouting with you, PLEASE HELP!

Try, as root: complain /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.smbd /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.nmbd and try to start Samba.

If that works, then use Samba for a while and use it's functionality.

Shut down Samba, run aa-logprof, answer the questions to allow access to files in /etc/samba and /var/lib/samba as needed.

Hope that helps.

Bjrn

Hello,

have same problem, i discover it is AppArmor prevent samba to create and management files in "/var/lib/samba" folder.

11.4 samba won't run - SOLUTION, go to Yast -> Novell AppArmor -> Edit Profile and update or delete AppArmor profile for Samba.

Then use as "root" "rcsmb restart " and check did samba run "rcsmb status"

Its works for me

Thanks for all the replies. Will give it a try tonight.

thanks czmruk, AppArmor was the culprit in my case as well!

Hello All !

Niced to join OpenSuse Community forum.

After updating from OS 11.3 to OS 11.4 on a test node, I had the same trouble. And the funny joke was that Webmin saw Samba in running status. FYI I saw that OS 11.4 auto disable CIFS as it is ON with OS 11.3. And the NetBIOS Server service is now automatically add when we allow opening ports on firewall during Samba setup. So in fact it is right a trouble with AppArmor profile as said above. Thanks for the report. And Blotz's setup works fine. FYI you can also setup complain status in Yast / Novell AppArmor / AppArmor setup panel / profiles setup button / change mode button.

Thanks all and see u
    Mike

Blog Entries

Don't forget to set nmb and smb permanently to "on" in Yast --> system --> runlevels
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

My thanks as well.

AppArmor appears to be a problem for smbd, nmdb and 1-2 others.
    I've avoided AppArmor for a several rels, this time its unavoidable.

Thanks for the tip.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Tks
    that tip save my day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast