Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.4 x64 only bugs!!!

Default 11.4 x64 only bugs!!!

I have been using opensuse for years, but 11.4 is the most buggy, especial for regular (desktop) users.

Problems:
    1. it is slow, firefox and chrome have problems with JavaScript and flash all the time
    2. flash loads content/movies very slow, and most of the time it crashes Firefox or chrome
    3. Liberty office has bug with coping cells (the same that was solved in opensuse 11.3 and openoffice

It is first time when I have to run VM with Windows7 to watch youtube or listen to the music ...

Developers... please fix bugs fast.

Default Re: 11.4 x64 only bugs!!!

Interesting. I'm sorry that you are having issues ... I run 11.4 64-bit and have quite the opposite experience with point #1 and #2 (#3 sounds like more of a problem with LibreOffice, not openSUSE). I find that 11.4 has been one of the most stable releases of OpenSUSE in quite some time.

While I don't use Chrome, I do use FireFox with Flash and Java and I do find it to be fairly snappy. I've not had either lock up on me or crash.

Did you install java and flash yourself, or did you go through YaST? Also, I tend to delete the openJDK version of Java and install sun's (er, Oracle's) java from the non-oss repo, as I find that it works better for me.

If you could post here what sites you are looking at (I don't have problems with YouTube bear in mind) then that might help, as maybe the problem is reproducible. Also are you using "stock" Firefox or are you using the one from the Mozilla Repo? Have you changed any FireFox settings? Are you using opensource video drivers, or closed-source ones?
    Main Machine: Dell G7 running Ubuntu 18.04
    Server: Dell PowerEdge SC1430 running CentOS 7.x

I wouldn't say the most stable. When doing a new install, if you use a pppoe connection, it is impossible to run it on first go. One needs to use the linux-atm-lib from another distribution disc or download it sepparately in order to run pppoe. Apparently each time you need to run that, yast asks you to instal that but it can not find it on the disk, and is unable to set up dsl without that lib. Eitherway, related to flash videos, what hardware are you using? Might be graphic driver related. I am running 64 bit version and don't have those issues. Also, katanacb, i am using the firefox ver. that came with opensuse. The beta 12. No issue so far. Might not be related to that necessarily...

Please gentleman, do not make this thread a mix of all sort of existing or non-existing bugs. One problem in a thread please.

And to the OP, your post looks more like a general remark then an asking for help. I think you must decide if this should have been in General Chitchat or here in the help forum on Multimedia. When the last is tha case, then please provide more information and describe your exact problems.
    Henk van Velden

Hmm... Everything what I have installed is from OpenSuse repository (Flash, Firefox). Nvidia drivers are from nvidia website, chrome is from google website. This is my desktop: i7-920 2.6Ghz, 6GB ram, 2x Nvidia 9800GT SLI, SDD Zalman N64GB
    Before I was running on the same machine opensuse 11.2 and no problems at all (only openoffice bug). Last month I tried opensuse 11.3 and everything was fine, but I havd problem with 4 screens. Now, no problem with 4 screens, but FF (javascript and flash) very slow ;( Before I was running at the same time Eclipse, VirtualBox, FF with tens of tabs opened, thunderbird with thousands of emails and everything was smooth.

On the other hand on my laptop, thinkpad x200, I have opensuse 11.3 and no issues at all, everything works out of box... even my Verizon broadband card.

The thing is that I am running right now VM with Windows7 on the top of opensuse 11.4 and it is very fast... no problems with flash and javascript ;(

Any ideas what is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by vaseer View Post
    I wouldn't say the most stable. When doing a new install, if you use a pppoe connection, it is impossible to run it on first go. One needs to use the linux-atm-lib from another distribution disc or download it sepparately in order to run pppoe. Apparently each time you need to run that, yast asks you to instal that but it can not find it on the disk, and is unable to set up dsl without that lib. ...
    I also faced the pppoe issue you have mentioned but this problem is limited to the KDE release. The Gnome release has no such issues. Both FF & Chrome are running perfectly. No issues with flash or java.
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

suse_kid, what graphic drivers do you have installed? maybe the flash issue is related to the graphic drivers...?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_lukes View Post
    suse_kid, what graphic drivers do you have installed? maybe the flash issue is related to the graphic drivers...?
    Nvidia Driver Ver. 260.19.36
    openSUSE Leap 15
    You aren't rich until you have something that money can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by suse_kid View Post
    I also faced the pppoe issue you have mentioned but this problem is limited to the KDE release. The Gnome release has no such issues. Both FF & Chrome are running perfectly. No issues with flash or java.
    Having said that with gnome, maybe there is no harm to try disabling ipv6 with kde
    He can do this in yast2-system-/etc/sysconfig editor-desktop-window manager-KDE_USE_IPV6 set it to NO
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

The issue with flash was caused by SLI. I removed SLI and now it is fine It also looks like problems with javascript are only in chrome... Libreoffice has still the problem, and I will submit bug.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast