Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: An odd occurrence

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default An odd occurrence

    About an hour ago I resized my home partition, with gparted. All went well and I rebooted into Ubuntu Natty, no problem.
    Shortly after I rebooted into suse 11.4 and checked a couple of forums and did one or two other minor jobs.
    I then shutdown the laptop for about 20 minutes.
    When I restarted it, choosing suse 11.4, it took about 3 minutes for all the text lines to complete. No error messages appeared of any kind.
    The screen then went black, then the Nvidia splash screen appeared, then went black again (all normal) but it then took another 2 minutes to boot to the desktop.
    All in all, it took more than 5 minutes to boot, with disk activity all the time. This laptop usually boots 11.4 in about 90 seconds, to a useable desktop.
    When the desktop arrived it was virtually unuseable due to hard disk activity. I checked with System Monitor (which took about a minute to open) and it reported that 290MB of ram were in use (of 2GB), no processes were using any cpu except for system monitor (about 2%) but the hard disk activity light was solid. Response was very slow - as I say, virtually unuseable.
    I REISUB'd and twice more it booted this way, and behaved the same way once booted. The last time, after about 5 minutes of (non) use, the hard disk avtivity light went out and everything returned to normal.
    I have rebooted since and everything is back to normal.
    Can anybody tell me what happened? Does anything run in 11.4 every now and again that must be completed, but which is not user requested (like some sort of system check)?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    On 03/16/2011 03:36 PM, quackers wrote:
    >
    > Does anything run in 11.4 every now
    > and again that must be completed, but which is not user requested (like
    > some sort of system check)?


    yep..

    next time it happens, if it does instead of killing the machine with
    all those REISUBs and reboots, try to learn what is going on....open a
    terminal, type top and hit enter and watch what is sucking all
    your CPU cycles..

    look at top now to see if you can figure out most of what happens
    there...if not, type man top and hit enter..

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    Thanks for your reply DenverD, though it seems somewhat self-contradicting!
    Quote
    > Does anything run in 11.4 every now
    > and again that must be completed, but which is not user requested (like
    > some sort of system check)?

    yep..

    next time it happens, if it does instead of killing the machine with
    all those REISUBs and reboots, try to learn what is going on....open a
    terminal, type top and hit enter and watch what is sucking all
    your CPU cycles..

    I ask if something runs every now and again, and you say "yep", then say "next time it happens, if it does".
    Well you said it does!

    What do you kill an unresponsive machine with, may I ask? The power button?

    How do I "try to learn what's going on" in a largely unresponsive machine? As I said in post 1, I waited for system monitor to load and it said virtually no cpu cycles were in use. Opening a terminal took ages too. Things taking ages was what I wanted to avoid.

    I am also able to figure out "top" too. I have several conky displays, all of which show the 4 top, top processes.

    Please don't be condescending, as it's not helpful.
    It's not safe to assume I know nothing, just because of a low post count.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    On 2011-03-16 17:06, quackers wrote:
    > How do I "try to learn what's going on" in a largely unresponsive
    > machine?


    With patience :-)

    Iotop, perhaps.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2011-03-16 17:06, quackers wrote:
    > How do I "try to learn what's going on" in a largely unresponsive
    > machine?


    With patience :-)

    Iotop, perhaps.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    And if it just continues without change? Just wait for the hard drive to die?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    On 03/16/2011 05:06 PM, quackers wrote:

    > How do I "try to learn what's going on" in a largely unresponsive
    > machine?


    top or atop would be my first guesses..


    > As I said in post 1, I waited for system monitor to load and it
    > said virtually no cpu cycles were in use. Opening a terminal took ages
    > too. Things taking ages was what I wanted to avoid.


    well, wanting to avoid "taking ages" may also avoid learning what is
    going on..


    > I am also able to figure out "top" too. I have several conky displays,
    > all of which show the 4 top, top processes.


    i can't see your experience from here, and you didn't mention you have
    already tried to learn what was going on with top, atop, htop or even
    by looking in the logs.....so, what am i supposed to do? assume you
    have already done every think i can think of which might help--and not
    _try_ to help you??


    > Please don't be condescending, as it's not helpful.


    wow!


    > It's not safe to assume I know nothing, just because of a low post
    > count.


    i have NO idea what your post count is (i do not use the web forum and
    therefore don't know if you have 1 post of 100,000! so don't assume i
    have an agenda, OR think you are stupid)....and no matter how you
    chose to read my attempt to help you it was meant to be helpful and
    NOT meant to be condescending..

    but yours was meant to be condescending, demeaning and hurtful, thanks...

    i won't be bothering you again.

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    On 2011-03-16 23:06, quackers wrote:
    > And if it just continues without change? Just wait for the hard drive
    > to die?


    Are you suspecting the drive is bad?

    If your drive was busy remapping, the symptoms would match.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    We'll agree to differ then.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    On 03/16/2011 05:38 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2011-03-16 23:06, quackers wrote:
    >> And if it just continues without change? Just wait for the hard drive
    >> to die?

    >
    > Are you suspecting the drive is bad?
    >
    > If your drive was busy remapping, the symptoms would match.
    >


    As I will probably appear to be condescending, I'll only post once. Switch to
    Virtual Terminal 10 to see what errors are there. As you are an expert, I know
    that you will already know how to do that.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: An odd occurrence

    Iwfinger,
    I have no reason to suspect that a hard drive is bad. The smart status is healthy on both drives.
    You didn't appear condescending at all, until the last paragraph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •