Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

  1. #11

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    I think I'm doing something wrong, when I use that command input in LibreOffice works, but only if I start it from the terminal even after adding it to .bashrc and rebooting.

  2. #12

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    Strange thing, in my case it helped...

    I think you should try unstable build of LO then, if it maters for you.

    To ease things, you may try to edit LO shortcut and make it look somewhat like this:
    "OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde soffice"
    Probably, this may help, until we get patched version in stable updates.

  3. #13

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    I hope this gets fixed soon =(

    It is quite impossible to work in 11.4 due to this...

  4. #14

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolyanoid View Post
    Solution and a work around found!

    Solution: wait for new version of LibreOffice - it should be fixed there.
    If you don't want to wait, you may try use a custom build of LibreOffice from one of the buildservice users - it's fixed there (see the bugzilla discussion for more info)

    Workaround:
    VERY simple.
    edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc
    add the following line:
    Code:
    export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde
    Relogin or reboot and enjoy - everything should work OK now. That worked for me with SCIM. Probably tomorrow, I will test it with IBus.
    I am a total beginner here. I do not understand this first step.
    edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc

    I assume the second step..code OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde should be entered into terminal? is that all i need to do?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    On 03/24/2011 08:06 AM, Linuxinlennox wrote:

    > I am a total beginner here. I do not understand this first step.
    > edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc
    >
    > I assume the second step..code OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde should be entered
    > into terminal? is that all i need to do?


    i can NOT confirm the prescription will work, but i can tell you how
    to do it..

    please NOTE! while i am pretty sure what i'm about to you will work
    safely to add that line of code to bashrc, i have *zero* idea if the
    change to bashrc will work as advertised or not--so, please read the
    caveat in my sig before beginning!

    "edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc" means to open the named file
    (bashrc) in a file editor so that you can then add the string given in
    the second step..

    i do wish you had declared which desk top you use...you didn't so i
    will assume the same as mine...try this:

    1. hold down left Alt key and press F2

    2. a run pop-up will appear, in copy and paster this into it, and then
    press enter
    Code:
    kwrite ~/.bashrc
    NOTE: if you use Gnome instead of writing kwrite you need use a basic
    gnome editor by name, maybe gedit, but i don't remember for sure

    3. an instance of Kwrite with the hidden file named bashrc in your
    home directory will open, in it press the down arrow until you get to
    the very bottom

    4. then copy and paste into bashrc this
    Code:
    #
    # user added following advice in
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455916 (to solve some
    keyboard problem)
    export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde
    5. after the paste is complete, hit enter one more time (bashrc must
    have an empty line at its end)..

    6. hold down Ctrl and press S (to save what just put in)

    7. hold down Alt and press F4 (to close) Kwrite

    8. "Relogin or reboot and enjoy"

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 03/24/2011 08:06 AM, Linuxinlennox wrote:

    > I am a total beginner here. I do not understand this first step.
    > edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc
    >
    > I assume the second step..code OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde should be entered
    > into terminal? is that all i need to do?


    i can NOT confirm the prescription will work, but i can tell you how
    to do it..

    please NOTE! while i am pretty sure what i'm about to you will work
    safely to add that line of code to bashrc, i have *zero* idea if the
    change to bashrc will work as advertised or not--so, please read the
    caveat in my sig before beginning!

    "edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc" means to open the named file
    (bashrc) in a file editor so that you can then add the string given in
    the second step..

    i do wish you had declared which desk top you use...you didn't so i
    will assume the same as mine...try this:

    1. hold down left Alt key and press F2

    2. a run pop-up will appear, in copy and paster this into it, and then
    press enter
    Code:
    kwrite ~/.bashrc
    NOTE: if you use Gnome instead of writing kwrite you need use a basic
    gnome editor by name, maybe gedit, but i don't remember for sure

    3. an instance of Kwrite with the hidden file named bashrc in your
    home directory will open, in it press the down arrow until you get to
    the very bottom

    4. then copy and paste into bashrc this
    Code:
    #
    # user added following advice in
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455916 (to solve some
    keyboard problem)
    export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde
    5. after the paste is complete, hit enter one more time (bashrc must
    have an empty line at its end)..

    6. hold down Ctrl and press S (to save what just put in)

    7. hold down Alt and press F4 (to close) Kwrite

    8. "Relogin or reboot and enjoy"

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
    Am I added correctly?

    # Sample .bashrc for SuSE Linux
    # Copyright (c) SuSE GmbH Nuernberg

    # There are 3 different types of shells in bash: the login shell, normal shell
    # and interactive shell. Login shells read ~/.profile and interactive shells
    # read ~/.bashrc; in our setup, /etc/profile sources ~/.bashrc - thus all
    # settings made here will also take effect in a login shell.
    #
    # NOTE: It is recommended to make language settings in ~/.profile rather than
    # here, since multilingual X sessions would not work properly if LANG is over-
    # ridden in every subshell.

    # Some applications read the EDITOR variable to determine your favourite text
    # editor. So uncomment the line below and enter the editor of your choice :-)
    #export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
    #export EDITOR=/usr/bin/mcedit

    # For some news readers it makes sense to specify the NEWSSERVER variable here
    #export NEWSSERVER=your.news.server

    # If you want to use a Palm device with Linux, uncomment the two lines below.
    # For some (older) Palm Pilots, you might need to set a lower baud rate
    # e.g. 57600 or 38400; lowest is 9600 (very slow!)
    #
    #export PILOTPORT=/dev/pilot
    #export PILOTRATE=115200
    #export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde

    test -s ~/.alias && . ~/.alias || true
    Dell Latitude D620~Intel Core2Duo T2300 1.66GHz~Intel 945GM~DDR2 667 2GB~openSUSE 12.1 KDE x86.

  7. #17

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 03/24/2011 08:06 AM, Linuxinlennox wrote:

    > I am a total beginner here. I do not understand this first step.
    > edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc
    >
    > I assume the second step..code OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde should be entered
    > into terminal? is that all i need to do?


    i can NOT confirm the prescription will work, but i can tell you how
    to do it..

    please NOTE! while i am pretty sure what i'm about to you will work
    safely to add that line of code to bashrc, i have *zero* idea if the
    change to bashrc will work as advertised or not--so, please read the
    caveat in my sig before beginning!

    "edit /home/[your-profile]/.bashrc" means to open the named file
    (bashrc) in a file editor so that you can then add the string given in
    the second step..

    i do wish you had declared which desk top you use...you didn't so i
    will assume the same as mine...try this:

    1. hold down left Alt key and press F2

    2. a run pop-up will appear, in copy and paster this into it, and then
    press enter
    Code:
    kwrite ~/.bashrc
    NOTE: if you use Gnome instead of writing kwrite you need use a basic
    gnome editor by name, maybe gedit, but i don't remember for sure

    3. an instance of Kwrite with the hidden file named bashrc in your
    home directory will open, in it press the down arrow until you get to
    the very bottom

    4. then copy and paste into bashrc this
    Code:
    #
    # user added following advice in
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=455916 (to solve some
    keyboard problem)
    export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde
    5. after the paste is complete, hit enter one more time (bashrc must
    have an empty line at its end)..

    6. hold down Ctrl and press S (to save what just put in)

    7. hold down Alt and press F4 (to close) Kwrite

    8. "Relogin or reboot and enjoy"

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
    Thanks, that was perfectly worded instruction. i didn't even need to ask questions. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail so it was easy to follow.
    Unfortunately, no cigar after reboot.
    I am having so much trouble with this new upgrade , I wish i never did it.
    KDE desktop by the way,

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    On 2011-03-24 10:36, marcoslai wrote:

    > Am I added correctly?


    no

    > #export PILOTPORT=/dev/pilot
    > #export PILOTRATE=115200
    > #export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde


    The # means the command is disabled.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    On 03/24/2011 10:36 AM, Linuxinlennox wrote:
    > Thanks, that was perfectly worded instruction. i didn't even need to
    > ask questions. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail
    > so it was easy to follow.


    welcome....unfortunately, sometimes when i do that i get a note saying
    my post was condescending, i guess because they thought by making it
    easy i had assumed they knew nothing. (though they hadn't bother to
    tell their experience level, as you did.)

    > Unfortunately, no cigar after reboot.


    so, you should go back into bashrc and remove the lines you put
    in...OR easier/safer and less likely to become a mess, just put one
    of these # in front of the "export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde"

    its called "commenting out" the # tells bash to NOT read or use the
    line.....you can see in bashrc lots of settings with a # in front,
    none of those will be used by the system..

    when you have removed or commented out the code, then save (Ctrl+s)
    and exit (Alt+F4) and _done_...

    if you decide to remove, be SURE to leave a blank line below the last
    line with text in..


    > I am having so much trouble with this new upgrade , I wish i never did
    > it.


    ok...let me 'talk' about that a little: i used openSUSE 10.3 (went
    end-of-life in October 2009) until February of this year *because* it
    worked, it was stable, dependable, reliable AND it did everything i
    needed it to do..

    until my bank changed their software and i had to get some new things
    going here....had that not happened i would STILL be on openSUSE 10.3
    *because* while upgrades hold the hope and promise of exciting new
    things and wonderful experiences they ALSO hold the chance of
    frustration, etc..

    here is my philosophy, it doesn't fit everyone:

    Use what works.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    If it must be fixed:
    -Do it the most simple way which will work.
    -Do it the way least likely to cause failure
    -Read the instructions before fixing, rather than afterwards when
    trying to recover from a bad 'fix'
    -Figure out how to undo what you are about to do, BEFORE you do
    it...that is, have a recovery plan in case what you do makes stuff
    worse than it was (if you had a recover plan for this upgrade [which
    you said you wish you hadn't done] you could just _undo_ it)

    some folks say a real hacker would say something like this:
    If if ain't broke you ain't trying hard enough.
    or ... fixing it enough.
    or ... far enough out on the leading edge.
    or ... experimenting enough.
    or ... are using old stuff.

    i'm not a real hacker.
    but, i AM old stuff..

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  10. #20

    Cool Re: No keyboard input in LibreOffice 3.3.1 with SCIM or IBus

    Friends!

    Now the updated LO should work fine with SCIM (which helped me).

    Try to check for LO updates from default repos. If there is nothing new, add "Stable LibreOffice repository" from community repository list and switch the packages from system repository to that new one. You will have updated stable LO, where this problem is already fixed!

    No need in that workaround any more, so, please, disable it to avoid any problems (remove that line form .bashrc).

    If you need instructions how to do that, just ask, I will post a small howto (that's very simple).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •