Open SuSE 11.4 nVidia Kwin and Compiz

I have installed OpenSuse 11.4 86x64 on a comp with nVidia GeForce 6150 . The process of installation didn’t pass smooth - the new nouveau drivers seem conflicted with some other drivers and destroyed YAST2 GUI in the process of installation. I forbid installation of nouveau drivers and managed to installed fresh 11.4 this way.

In KDE4 desktop effects worked smoothly before installing nvidia proprietary drivers. It seems KWIN works better with xrender that OpenGL, unfortunatelly xrender does not support all the effects.

I had always used compiz as composite manager in KDE environment, as it works perfectly with nVidia and OpenGL, and I tried to switch to compiz (compiz comes with the installation dvd ) , but KDE4 does not accept it and returned back to KWIN. There is no more fusion-icon and emerald , so I can not try to switch the compiz manager with fusion-icon.

Once I managed to switch to compiz but without windows decoration and I am not sure that was clear turning on.

I checked if the problem is with the compiz , I loged in Gnome and turned on compiz desktop effects, everything got working perfect and smooth. On next logon in Gnome the session did not turn automatically compiz on , I had to do it manually.

So compiz works perfect with nVidia drivers, KWIN annoyingly slows some actions as grid and expose for example.

I would like to know if there is another way to start and run compiz as composite manager in KDE4 (I tried with choosing compiz as default window manager that does not work for me) and how to make Gnome to start desktop effects on automatically with the login on.

Thanks in advance.

there’s already a thread oor 2 on this

recap:
Compiz appears not working under KDE 4.6.x
emerald no longer supported by Compiz and iirc won’t compile in 11.4
Fusion-icon not compiling in 11.4 (may because it requires Emerald?)

Compiz is started with “compiz --replace” on the command line

Thanks for the answer.

With 11.3 compiz is working perfectly with KDE 4.6.1. But with 11.4 it’s terrible slow, I think it’s an issue with the 0.9.x-Release of compiz. I will try the 0.8.6-packages of 11.3 in 11.4.
If it’s working, I will post…

You say

Compiz appears not working under KDE 4.6.x
Below you say
Compiz is started with “compiz --replace” on the command line

So does it work or not? For me it works but there is no Window Decoration.

Post the results please even if it won’t work.

I can confirm that under kde 4.6.1 (neither the shipped 4.6.0) compiz starts but there’re no windows decorations.
Tried to launch kde4-window-decorator --replace but nothing happens, no errors and no window decoration.
I don’t think it’s a graphic card issue, i had the same result with Ati, Nvidia and Intel cards.

Yes! I have the same issue! May be we should go to the SUSE developers? :slight_smile:

I see great improvements in Compiz 0.9.4 in stability and I have to say is daaaaaamn fast >:) compared to version 0.8.x

this is what I did for those who want to try but caution that it’s a bit unstable in my opinion and when it fails to regain control i has to select the KDE window manager (KWin) from kde preferences

1. this is the repo I’m using URL: Index of /repositories/X11:/Compiz/openSUSE_11.4 (from yast change the system packages compiz to this repository)
    Packages

2. I removed my previous attempts configuration
    ./.config/compiz-1
    ./.config/compiz-1/compizconfig

3. from CCSM and activate the basic plugins and KDE decorator

Config 1
Config 2
Config 3
Config 4
Config 5

1. Starting Compiz

Config 1
Config 2

Note:
I see a strange behavior when you click on the title bar to resize the windows to occupy the opposite corner, as usual before the action was that process underway to move the window (Alt + F8 or Alt + button 2 are useful if the window grows too )

Opensuse 11.4 x 64 Bits
Nvidia driver 270.30

Hi, guy! Did you really make this? You have a working Compiz? I will try your how-to tomorrow. Hope I will have a success. It’s so important for me!

did not work for me - did all as described by bitcero except started with “compiz --replace” and got no window decorations (same as before). Was hoping the newer rpm’s fixed the problem. At some point will try using the kmc module to start compiz when KDE starts but the “compiz --replace” should work. And remember ymmv

same setup as bitcero 11.4, x64bit, 270.30 and KDE 4.6.1

Yes I’m using now full time and going well
two additional things.

1. is better to leave the default desktop theme Oxygen this in my case fix the issue of the title bar and other weird issues.

2. Testing aditional options in CCSM, (i change this after my prev. post):
    disable KDE Compatility
    Enable Workarounds

Yessss, it works.
Thank you !!!

Yes, it works! But I have some not working functions. My the most lovely functions:(