Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended method for installing the restricted subpixel/freetype smooth font packages on 11.4?

Default Recommended method for installing the restricted subpixel/freetype smooth font packages on 11.4?

Hi everyone,

I love openSUSE, but I hate its default font rendering. On openSUSE 11.3, I am obtaining good results with the SubpixelHinting - openSUSE Community Wiki together with http://www.infinality.net/files/local.conf. However, the previous repo doesn't have packages for 11.4. I know that there are some personal packages in the build service, but soon after the 11.3 release they pulled these personal packages because they might violate a patent. So where is a reliable, easy source for installing the best libraries for smooth fonts with subpixel hinting?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommended method for installing the restricted subpixel/freetype smooth font packages on 11.4?

Index of /subpixel/openSUSE_11.3/

If you actually drill up and down the repo, you should see that the repos are pretty much identical.
    I'm not saying you should, but you could add the above 11.3 repo manually. And my guess is it will do what you need.

But I have the fonts from install and they are fantastic.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Recommended method for installing the restricted subpixel/freetype smooth font packages on 11.4?

Hmmm, I thought about using those 11.3 repos too.

Anyone know if that site has plans of supporting 11.4?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bummmm View Post
    Hmmm, I thought about using those 11.3 repos too.

Anyone know if that site has plans of supporting 11.4?
    Someone will probably get to it eventually
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Did you get the repo to install? I couldn't install any rmp's from 11.3 on 11.4. I was getting an error there were no download instructions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maciej234 View Post
    Did you get the repo to install? I couldn't install any rmp's from 11.3 on 11.4. I was getting an error there were no download instructions
    Did you add the repo manually?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

there's 3rd party repo in the OBS Index of /repositories/home:/muzlocker/openSUSE_11.4
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Quote Originally Posted by inp3dance View Post
    Which package do I choose to install? I see a cairo, font config, freetype2, etc...

Will I just install the packages restart and will the font be smooth automatically or do I have to manually set it after downloading?

based on what was included .../subpixel/openSUSE_11.3/x86_64/ in the I'd go with *freetype* rpms
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast