Thread: Display went off after restarting but kernel is still running...

Unhappy Display went off after restarting but kernel is still running...

hi
    i am having acer aspire 4736 laptop, i installed opensuse 11.4 64bit after installation completes system restarted and icompleted post-install configuration . then when i restarted again and selected to boot from opensuse first splash screen comes but within a second it went off again it comes only for a moment & went off but system is still running there is no display for all text as well as graphics modes(alt+ctrl+f1......f7). i restarted my system again and again it started well only once or twice for lots of time .

i checked in failsafe mode also there in display properties it is not able to detect moniter. i selected default settings it is showing some x11 org not found like that error.

how can i get rid of this problem?
    please somebody help!!!!!!

Default Re: Display went off after restarting but kernel is still running...

So what video card in the acer???

its intel GMA 4500MHZ.

i got somewhere as

"Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Intel GMA 4500MHD) with up to 1759 MB of Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory)"

when starting with opensuse11.4 it blinks & the brightness completely went off but if i am watching carefully i am getting the login screen comes there but not visible only dark light.

On 03/17/2011 02:06 AM, sumant86 wrote:
    >
    > its intel GMA 4500MHZ.
    >
    > i got somewhere as
    >
    > "Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics,
    > featuring Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Intel GMA 4500MHD)
    > with up to 1759 MB of Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB
    > of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory)"
    >
    > when starting with opensuse11.4 it blinks& the brightness completely
    > went off but if i am watching carefully i am getting the login screen
    > comes there but not visible only dark light.

Add "nomodeset" to the GRUP options line. That will keep the i915 driver from
    loading. Does that help?