11.4 freezes for no apparent reason

My fresh openSuse 11.4 will freeze for no reason 10-15 minutes after I log into KDE. The first time it happened I was copying a folder to a mounted drive, the second time while I was browsing with Firefox, and the third when I was playing some KBlocks. The whole system except the mouse freezes. Killing X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) fails and I can’t switch to another terminal.
Has anyone else had this problem? And what logs do you want posted?

My fresh openSuse 11.4 will freeze for no reason 10-15 minutes  after I log into KDE. The first time it happened I was copying a folder  to a mounted drive, the second time while I was browsing with Firefox,  and the third when I was playing some KBlocks. The whole system except  the mouse freezes. Killing X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) fails and I can't  switch to another terminal.

Has anyone else had this problem? And what logs do you want posted?
Wow what a powerful laptop you have there! I am very envious of you. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. So, this laptop has an nVIDIA video GPU. Have you considered loading the nVIDIA propitiatory video driver the hard way by chance? Here is link on the possible ways to do it:

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

I normally install the driver the hard way using a bash script file I have here:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3

Message #12 shows the most recent version of lnvhw.

Thank You,

I have the same problem with a fresh 11.4 install using kde4. It happens every 15 minutes, after the boot, and then I have no keyboard, no mouse. The only way is to press the off button of the computer.
>:( I also have a NVIDIA card gt8600. And I have installed the G02 driver.
Is there any bug opened about this problem?

I have the same problem with a fresh 11.4 install using kde4. It happens every 15 minutes, after the boot, and then I have no keyboard, no mouse. The only way is to press the off button of the computer.
>:( I also have a NVIDIA card gt8600. And I have installed the G02 driver.
Is there any bug opened about this problem?
So I am not having this issue, but I installed my nVIDIA driver the hard way and not through the repository method. I am using 64 bit openSUSE and not 32 bit. Here is some info on installing the nVIDIA driver:

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

AND

SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE

Please look through this info and see if you install the driver in a different way if it might help.

Thank You,

Broadcom wireless? I had the same problem, and found the opensource brcm80211 driver was causing the kernel lockup. Run “lscpi -vn” as root in a terminal and post the results. That will help us rule out any known hardware trouble.

67GTA, I’m using Atheros “ath9k”
LinuxBidouille, in my googling I found 0 reports of any sort, if I can narrow down what is causing the problem I will file a bug report.

jdmcdaniel3, in 11.2 and 11.3 the hard way was the only way to install Nvidia. X doesn’t pick up on the connected monitor in the F11 (things may have changed in the latest X server though, it works fine in Arch) Unfortunately, I need kernel-source and gcc (and binutils,etc) to install the driver which won’t be happening over 56K :wink: I’ll report back on Tuesday.

A lot of people are envious of my “beast.” Autodesk Inventor demands it though. (And it doesn’t hurt when compiling a kernel from source either )

On 03/13/2011 09:36 PM, bsilvereagle wrote:
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? And what logs do you want posted?
>

on a default install, if you have not changed the default daily cron
time and you boot after that default daily cron time (which is link 1
or 2 in the morning, local time), then all daily crons will run at
about 15 minutes after the boot…

so, if you boot, and open top before 15 minutes after boot, and leave
it open on the desktop where you can see it, when your system
“freezes” look at top and see what is sucking up your CPU
ticks…(write down what pops up to the top of top, cause i wanna know)

i guess you will see all kinds of stuff going on (lots of things will
jump to the top, for a while and then go away)…and, if you just sit
on your hands and watch top until all the crons have finished and the
CPU usage drops to (say) 20% or so, you will find your machine
un-“frozen”…

try it and see…

as for logs, have a look at /var/log/messages
where you will see each line begins with a Month Day clock time, so
zing to the time when your machine froze and you might find some bread
crumbs…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

I can’t edit, sorry for the double post.
DenverD, the 15 minutes isn’t totally steadfast, I’ve been running for about an hour now. I did change a time during the install, but I’m not sure if it was “cron” per say. And it was froze for a good two hours before I rebooted last time.
Regardless, top is waiting for a freeze.

bsilvereagle wrote:

> jdmcdaniel3, in 11.2 and 11.3 the hard way was the -only- way to
> install Nvidia. X doesn’t pick up on the connected monitor in the F11
> (things may have changed in the latest X server though, it works fine in
> Arch) Unfortunately, I need kernel-source and gcc (and binutils,etc) to
> install the driver which won’t be happening over 56K :wink: I’ll report back
> on Tuesday.

I have an old Nvidia card that has a similar problem. Try booting with
irqpolling set on the boot menu. That got the system to recognize the
monitor. Once you get the Nvidia driver installed you should be able to
omit the kernel parameter to spped things up. In my case, the BIOS sets the
on-board video chip to use an IRQ that conflicts somehow with ACPI usage and
the basic install kernel gets heartburn and can’t scan the monitor info.
Once the Nvidia driver is installed it seems to use an alternate scan for
the monitor (or changes the IRQ) and all is well.

Will Honea

I am having the same problem, Don’t think it is a cron. May have something to do with ACPI. It is a tough one to figure out.
I did a fresh install this time along with Home, To make sure there were no conflicts with any saved settings.
I will try one thing at a time, to see if I can track it down.
It froze once with this fresh install, Going to a site with the default FF.
I un-installed FF bata, deleted the folder in the home folder and installed 3.6.15.
So far so good.
I don’t think that is the main problem, It has an underlaying problem. Will see what it is.
I do notice that this laptop is running about 10 degrees hotter then with 11.3

I have same problem after fresh install Opensuse 11.4.When I boot to GUI.It freezes until Wifi is connected.I can use anything except mouse.I upgrade KDE to 4.6.1 and kernel to 2.6.37-3 but the problem still not solved.Here is my laptop
Dell latitude E4310
Core I5
VGA intel HD graphic
4GB ram
128GB SSD
wifi intel 6300

Will, The monitor problem is fixed with a custom EDID, I won’t know if 11.4 needs it until tomorrow. However, that is a neat little trick instead of hooking up an external monitor on reboot to navigate around to xconf.d.
tuandungb, I also have that “freeze” but that is not what I’m talking about as the main freeze. I’ve been googling on how to resolve that particular “freeze.” I’m assuming yours locks up once you hit the KDE desktop and then you can’t do anything until the “Welcome to openSuse” window comes up, then your wi-fi connects and you’re sailing smooth. Once again, that is not what this thread is about.

I’ve used 11.4 exclusively for the past day with top open, waiting for a freeze to no avail. I walk away from the computer for an hour and come back to a machine with the screen dimmed for powersaving, no big deal. Until I realized it was frozen and I couldn’t see top. I was more than a little frustrated :stuck_out_tongue:
So back to waiting around for the big freeze.

Hey I’m having somewhat similar situation. Only that when ever I switch to another desktop(4 virtual, with desktop wall)[relatedly unrelated, but also every time I start up SUSE, the setting for the pannel applet get all whacked out] the panel goes away, everything goes away, and it just locks up. I’ve sat on hands for about 30mins, which is a lot longer then it should take to load a virtual desktop with nothing running.
Comp Specs:
Toshiba a665d
amd quad 1.7
ATI 5686
open suse 11.4-upgraded from 11.3

Hey I’m having somewhat similar situation. Only that when ever I switch to another desktop(4 virtual, with desktop wall)[relatedly unrelated, but also every time I start up SUSE, the setting for the panel applet get all whacked out] the panel goes away, everything goes away, and it just locks up. I’ve sat on hands for about 30mins, which is a lot longer then it should take to load a virtual desktop with nothing running.
Comp Specs:
Toshiba a665d
amd quad 1.7
ATI 5686
open suse 11.4-upgraded from 11.3
Murdoc_of_PUTS, since your situation is not identical, you should consider starting your own problem thread, instead of piggybacking on another, as it might help get the attention of those that might have a solution for your particular problem.

Thank You,

sorry, I thought it was related, but I’ll start my own thread though. Thanks.

I had the same problem. No mouse, no keyboard working after a period of time logged in. Fist with the nouveau driver and then with nvidia. No matters.

After switching off desktop effects no more freezes.

45: PCI 300.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: “nVidia GeForce GT 220”
Vendor: pci 0x10de “nVidia Corporation”
Device: pci 0x0a20 “GeForce GT 220”
Revision: 0xa2
Driver: “nvidia”
Driver Modules: “nvidia”
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nvidia
Driver Info #1:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nvidia
3D Support: yes
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #21 (PCI bridge)

I’ve been waiting and waiting for a freeze and haven’t had one.
ramosart, I will try that in the morning.

Last night , One freeze . Tonight it is non-stop. Down loaded nvidia driver, To tired to load it tonight and have problems.
I didn’t think about turning off affects, Will try that first.
Thanks.

Leave a terminal open with “top” running so you can find the program.

I haven’t had a freeze yet with the Nvidia drivers and desktop effects disabled, but it seems like a hack-job fix.