Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 11.4 + Firefox 4 - anyone running with hw acceleration?

Default openSUSE 11.4 + Firefox 4 - anyone running with hw acceleration?

I was really looking forward to Firefox 4, especially to trying the hardware acceleration. I'm using nvidia proprietary driver which is the combination which *should* work, according what I've read. However it doesn't. Firefox doesn't even recognize my graphics card, when I type about:support, there is no information about my graphics. So I wonder, is there anyone who got this working?

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 + Firefox 4 - anyone running with hw acceleration?

I have just tried about:support - and mine reports "0/1". I am using the default 11.4 (64bit) installation with open source ATI drivers.

I have an old Nvidia GeForce6200. I've tried with drivers 173 and 260 and it doesn't work. When trying to force hardware acceleration (in about:config or by exporting MOZ_GLX_IGNORE_BLACKLIST=1), with the 173 drive nothing happens and with the other one Firefox always crashes. KDE doesn't crash with driver 260, all desktop effects are pretty. I have 11.4, standard install.

With 9800GTX (latest drivers) openSUSE x64 Firefox 4 RC and webgl.force.enabled and layers.acceleration.force both set to true I am getting about 25 FPS ... with them false/off more than 60+ FPS. So I guess I am better off with'em turned off (0/1).
    Linux & Open Source World
    E@zyVG's Vichar::World Connected

Free and open-source software is good for you and for the world.

I have just tried about:support - and mine reports "0/1" also on FF4/32bit
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

According to Mozilla, you enable it like this:

1. Set “layers.acceleration.force-enabled” to true
    2. Set “layers.acceleration.disabled” to false.
    3. You can use about:support to see whether you’re getting GL-accelerated rendering after that.

I have 64-bit openSUSE 11.4, Radeon HD2400 and fglrx drivers (somehow it only says 2D is fglrx and 3D is ATI). I changed webgl.force.enabled to true, but many WebGL demos still refuse to play.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    According to Mozilla, you enable it like this:

1. Set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true
    2. Set layers.acceleration.disabled to false.
    3. You can use about:support to see whether youre getting GL-accelerated rendering after that.
    Well and did it work for you? I tried to force hw acceleration just after upgrading to Firefox 4 and I got no results. I guess my card has to be at least recognized first.

Don't really no what it means, Mine is 0/2, Is that good or bad.
    Vaio F12: i7-740QM 4GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit
    Qosmio i7-740QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 360m
    500 GB HD 7200 | 1 TB HD
    Opensuse 11.3 64 bit | VBox, Zoneminder & Mythtv

My is also 0/2 and that's not good I guess. You should see some information about your graphics card, it should look something like this: http://techdows.com/wp-content/uploa...is-enabled.png (screenshot comes from Windows, but it doesn't matter).

NVidia graphic card with proprietary drivers are supposed to by supported in Linux and many Ubuntu users can confirm that. I hope this will be available on OpenSuse soon..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast