Thread: Upgrade to Gnome 3 ?

Default Upgrade to Gnome 3 ?

Hi,

I have successfully upgraded opensuse 11.3 to opensuse 11.4 with offline upgrade via installation DVD. I am using gnome 2.3.2.

How do I upgrade gnome 2.3.2 to gnome 3 ?

Regards,
    Ivan

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade to Gnome 3 ?

It's not something I would advise. Especially if you don't already know how to go about it.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It's not something I would advise. Especially if you don't already know how to go about it.
    Yeah. OK. I just have to say... He didn't ask whether you thought he was worthy. He asked how to do it.

Given that 11.4 has been selling itself (or is being sold) as offering Gnome-Shell, I just find this response incredibly condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by vtpoet View Post
    Yeah. OK. I just have to say... He didn't ask whether you thought he was worthy. He asked how to do it.

Given that 11.4 has been selling itself (or is being sold) as offering Gnome-Shell, I just find this response incredibly condescending.
    openSUSE 11.2 offered Gnome-Shell preview. I installed it, something broke while using it, so I upgraded to openSUSE 11.3-Gnome 2.30.

Since Gnome-Shell is still in beta I wouldn't advise it either.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vtpoet View Post

It was relative.
    If the user was REALLY interested, they would have pressed me on it
    As it is, I didn't have to go into a lengthy HowTo on the subject.
    And I'd still rather a new/inexperienced user not venture too far from official release.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi, Ivan,

Five or six weeks ago, sparked by all the hype about Gnome 3 shell, I surveyed forums and reviews, admired screenshots galore. But actually finding a Gnome 3 shell that actually worked was a no-go. But I did eventually find a couple of good, working, Gnome shells. One was on Ubuntu 9.10 Gnome (Gnome 2, though). The other one (and imho the best one) I found at SUSE Studio.

I comment at some length about that one at How to configure gnome 3 shell in 11.3?. I haven't been back to SUSE Studio in a while; but by now, someone has perhaps put together an installable openSUSE derivative featuring a perfectly running Gnome 3 Shell.

Go to SUSE Studio and check out GNOME 3 Published by Frederic Crozat.
    AMD Athlon II X2 220, 2.8 GHz, 6 GB, PNY GeForce 210; 1 TB: Windows 7HP, Ubuntu 13.10, DBLab/Linux Mint 16 Remix, Suse 12.1 KDE.