Flash and Amarok sound issue.

I have noticed an issue after upgrading to 11.4 with my sound. The sound works fine for the most part. The issue I have found is when playing a song in Amarok and then loading up a flash video, there is no sound on the flash video. If I pause amarok, then press play again on the flash video the sound will play in the video. Then if I go back to Amarok, the song won’t play again until I close the firefox tab with the flash video. So naturally I figured it was an issue with my sound driver allowing multiple playback. However, I then went and loaded a video in VLC (an .avi) and the sound in vlc and amarok worked at the same time.

Does anybody else have this issue in 11.4 64-bit?

I have noticed an issue after upgrading to 11.4 with my sound. The sound works fine for the most part. The issue I have found is when playing a song in Amarok and then loading up a flash video, there is no sound on the flash video. If I pause amarok, then press play again on the flash video the sound will play in the video. Then if I go back to Amarok, the song won’t play again until I close the firefox tab with the flash video. So naturally I figured it was an issue with my sound driver allowing multiple playback. However, I then went and loaded a video in VLC (an .avi) and the sound in vlc and amarok worked at the same time.

Does anybody else have this issue in 11.4 64-bit?
There does seem to be flash issues with Firefox 4 Beta 12. These will likely be fixed in the future release upgrades. Firefox 4 is already out with a Release Candidate and so it should not be long before it comes down to openSUSE 11.4. It is possible to downgrade Firefox to 3.6 if you can not wait, but it is hard to suggest that you do that. I have a thread on the subject here:

How To Switch to Firefox 3.6 in openSUSE 11.4

Also, openSUSE 11.4 is now setup by default to use Pulse Audio and the GStremer Backend. While I have not had the exact audio issue as you, Flash did not really work right for me either. New recommendations will be coming down in the next few weeks I am sure on these subjects.

Thank You,

I mostly use SeaMonkey for browser and Flash. I haven’t had your problem on 64bit 11.4 KDE with PulseAudio enabled, and Kmix shows different audio streams working concurrently as it should.

Today I tried to reproduce your problem using Firefox 4 Beta 12 streaming a Flash video, Amarok playing an MP3 file, and VLC playing a local MPEG-4 video file (with full audio). I failed to reproduce your problem. When I added in each stream, previous stream(s) continued playing. All three audio streams played concurrently, and each one registered on KMix’s Playback Streams tab.

I had pgraded to 11.4 released version, from a fresh install of the KDE liveCD version of 11.4 RC1. Did you upgrade from 11.3 and how did you do that?

I upgraded from 11.3 via zypper.

zypper ref
zypper up rpm
zypper dup

I would have done those commands from 11.3. What about enabled repos? Which packman repo did you use to complete the installation?

I disabled all repo’s for the upgrade except the Non-OSS, Update and OSS repo’s for 11.4, I also had the nvidia repo enabled. All others were disabled.

Ok, as I would, but what about the Packman question?

Didn’t have a packman repo enabled for the installation.

Either way doesn’t matter, the issue appears resolved now.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I tend to do the install without Packman enabled, then add it later once I’m happy with the overall installed operation and performance.

You are welcome, glad it’s working now. :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve exactly the same issue.

Looks like this bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=669803
From bugreports this may be related: PerfectSetup