Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Posts
    445

    Question Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Hi there,

    When I click download DVD 4.7 GB, on any browser (I tried in Firefox, Opera and Chrome) It started to download 4.3 GB instead of 4.7-

    The first Download was 4.2 GB and I though that was wright, but the checksum didn't match. Now It started download only 4.3 GB

    Why is that?
    How can I solve this ?

    thanks in advance for any feedback

    agu.
    agunet74

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    The DVD ISOs are approximately 4.3GB in size.

    Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    Registered Linux user #122512. Desktop Linux user for 17 years.
    Asus Eee 900: 900MHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 12GB SSD, 915GM, openSUSE-current+Tumbleweed
    Home-built Desktop: Athlon II X2 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA, GeForce G210, openSUSE-12.1-x86_64, KDE-4.7.2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    8,456

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Guys,
    Do not try to do a regular HTTP download without a Download Manager during heavy loads like these few days after a major release.

    If you're running KDE on your downloading machine, I've described how to use Kget, see post #10 in this thread.

    Opensuse 11.4 64Bit DVD Download Problem

    HTH,
    Tony

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    I used aria2 to download mine with the metalink.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Brussels, Belgium N50 50.394 E4 29.462
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    On 2011-03-11, ah7013 <ah7013@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > I used aria2 to download mine with the metalink.


    I used the torrent. Not only is it way faster, but you help others too.

    Speed for the 32 and 64 DVD running at the same time: +- 1.400 KB/s each.



    --
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rikishi42 View Post
    On 2011-03-11, ah7013 <ah7013@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > I used aria2 to download mine with the metalink.


    I used the torrent. Not only is it way faster, but you help others too.

    Speed for the 32 and 64 DVD running at the same time: +- 1.400 KB/s each.



    --
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson
    aria2 AFAIK uses torrent as one of the ways it downloads the file as well as the mirrors. I got 1.2 MB/s (which is around the maximum speed of my connection)

    Here is the extract from the metalink file of bittorrent:
    Code:
    <url type="bittorrent" preference="100">http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/iso/openSUSE-11.4-KDE-LiveCD-x86_64.iso.torrent</url>
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by agunet74 View Post
    Hi there,

    When I click download DVD 4.7 GB, on any browser (I tried in Firefox, Opera and Chrome) It started to download 4.3 GB instead of 4.7-

    The first Download was 4.2 GB and I though that was wright, but the checksum didn't match. Now It started download only 4.3 GB

    Why is that?
    How can I solve this ?

    thanks in advance for any feedback

    agu.
    x86_64 DVD is just over 4.6GB or 4.3GiB. i586 DVD is just over 4.5GB or 4.2GiB.

    Gibibyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Ok. I'm downloading the 32 bit version, so Iwould be 4.2 GB. I downloaded the file, and when I check for a checksum, this is displayed:

    openSUSE-DVD-i586-Build0024-Media (/home/agunet/Downloads/openSUSE-11.4-DVD-i586_2.iso)
    Medium: DVD1
    Size: 4434460 kB
    Result: Error -- MD5 sum does not match
    This medium should not be used.

    I think I have to download the file again, haven't I ?

    agu.
    agunet74

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by agunet74 View Post
    Ok. I'm downloading the 32 bit version, so Iwould be 4.2 GB. I downloaded the file, and when I check for a checksum, this is displayed:

    openSUSE-DVD-i586-Build0024-Media (/home/agunet/Downloads/openSUSE-11.4-DVD-i586_2.iso)
    Medium: DVD1
    Size: 4434460 kB
    Result: Error -- MD5 sum does not match
    This medium should not be used.

    I think I have to download the file again, haven't I ?

    agu.
    It looks like it, this time try downloading it using a torrent or metalink.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: Cannot donwload 4.7 GB of open suse 11.4

    Hi,

    After failed direct downloads I tried, I'm trying to download via BigTorrent. One only doubt: What does it means when the status is "Stalled" instead of "downloading" ?

    thanks,

    agu.
    agunet74

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •