Setiing DSL connection in 11.4 KDE

Hi, I just installed 11.4 (64 Bit) KDE.

I have configured a dsl connection using network manager but still the connection which I named BSNL won’t show up in “networking interfaces” or “Connections”.

The auto eth0 is there & connected but no sign of BSNL there.

“connect automatically” is selected so I tried restarting the pc but still it won’t connect.

I checked in network manager settings & the settings are all there. It just won’t show up & therefore I cannot connect to the internet using this PC.

Please reply.

I googled about the issue & it seems as if it is more a KDE problem than a opensuse specific issue. Didn’t find any solution there.

Finally decided to download the gnome version of 11.4

KDE is mess.

Instead of setting up your connection through the desktop, try setting up through YAST.
YAST configurations are typically “system level” and are implemented during bootup and before the Desktop applications start running, so are also irrelevant to the chosen Desktop.

HTH,
Tony

I tried that but during the configuration process a dialog box appeared saying it wants to install a package (I don’t remember the exact name of the package) in order to complete the configuration process. But because there was no internet connection at that point I had to abort the process.

On 11.3 Gnome I once tried configuring my dsl connection through yast & the process ended successfully without any such demand of addition package installation.

I have already installed 11.4 Gnome.

Thanks for trying to help.

Depending on how satisfied/unsatisfied you might be with your current status, if you try YAST again write down (or camera snapshot) the error, then determine if that package should be in your available repository or not (do you have a DVD?). If it’s not in the DVD, that might be considered a bug since it would be logical that all packages necessary for an Internet connection should be available on the DVD.

Tony

Hi,
I was facing the exact same problem while using 11.4 for the first time. I too have a BSNL internet connection. After a lot of searching I found this bug report and a solution to it also. Check this out - New: opensuse 11.4: where is linux-atm-lib package? - opensuse-bugs.opensuse.org - ArchiveOrange
I have not tried this out yet but will do so over the weekend and see if works out. If you plan to use this solution please post your results.

I prefer using Network Manager to connect to the internet. I usually don’t use the traditional method. Even if I am able to solve the issue , the network manager which is included with KDE in particular & not specifically openSUSE is buggy too. Therefore there is no point in struggling to solve that problem.

Ok, Its done. I set up the DSL connection through YAST and the connection woks fine. I disabled network manager plasmoid from the system tray. The connection now starts automatically at boot. But one problem every now and then it keeps dropping for no apparent reason.
Anyone have any solution for this ?

If anyone suffers from this old bug, please just update openSUSE to 12.1 (or later if available at time of reading).

This bug was fixed in networkmanagement with commit:

commit 68ebd8231f942154cd743d4007b8ab9e8689808b
Author: Lamarque V. Souza <lamarque@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Sep 12 21:52:11 2011 -0300

Allow DSL connections be associated to ethernet interfaces.

CCBUG: 204170

Upstream bug:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204170

openSUSE 12.1 contains fixed networkmanagement plasmoid.