Opensuse 11.4 + gnome desktop freezes

Hi!

I have updated Opensuse 11.3 to 11.4. I have also updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Now, when Gnome desktop starts it freezes: it draws all the shortcuts on the desktop but I cannot use my wired mouse to click anything — as if the desktop has freezed. The cursor shows that something is loading. I cannot also use Ctl + F2 to start xterm… But I can use Ctl + Alt + F12, so the keyboard is working.

PS: I can boot into Failsafe mode where Gnome desktop works OK.

Hi!

I have updated Opensuse 11.3 to 11.4. I have also updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Now, when Gnome desktop starts it freezes: it draws all the shortcuts on the desktop but I cannot use my wired mouse to click anything — as if the desktop has freezed. The cursor shows that something is loading. I cannot also use Ctl + F2 to start xterm… But I can use Ctl + Alt + F12, so the keyboard is working.

PS: I can boot into Failsafe mode where Gnome desktop works OK.
Did you add the kernel load option nomodeset and did you set NO_KMS_IN_INITD = Yes in your sysconf file? When you installed the nVIDIA video drivers, how did you install them and what version did you install? What nVIDIA GPU chipset/card are you using?

Thank You,

1. nomodeset is the only option
  2. NO_KMS_IN_INITD = yes
  3. NVidia drivers [260.19.44, 32bit]: downloaded from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies. Installed/built at level 3. Caused no problems whatsoever.
  4. NVIDIA GeForce 8400MG on Asus U3 notebook.

PS: I noticed that when Gnome loads I have about a second when the desktop is responsive to mouse clicks.
PPS: I have installed KDE which does not freeze.

Thank you for help!

1. nomodeset is the only option
  2. NO_KMS_IN_INITD = yes
  3. NVidia drivers [260.19.44, 32bit]: downloaded from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies. Installed/built at level 3. Caused no problems whatsoever.
  4. NVIDIA GeForce 8400MG on Asus U3 notebook.

PS: I noticed that when Gnome loads I have about a second when the desktop is responsive to mouse clicks.
PPS: I have installed KDE which does not freeze.

Thank you for help!
Dmitry_N_Medvedev, I do not normally use GNOME, but I went ahead and installed it in my new openSUSE 11.4 installation, along with KDE, just as you. So, GNOME is working for me, but I did not do an upgrade. I did a new install, but I maintain a separate /home partition and I did not format it clean, meaning I still came back with my old settings. I also have an nVIDIA video card, a 450 and I loaded the same video driver, the hard way. I wonder if you have an option to do a clean install? Did you maintain a separate /home partition? If you did, consider doing a clean install. You must reload ALL applications you had before, but ALL settings for those applications will be maintained for you. You could op to reload all things GNOME while running KDE in Yast or consider switching to KDE, thats what I use.

Thank You,

I have the same problem in gnome with 11.4 and nvidia drivers.

I am running a 7800gt in my system.

If I use the nouveau (sp?) driver I get a black screen on gdm load.
If I used either the supplied nvidia driver in the community repository … .36… or the one from nvidia’s website … .44… I receive a freezing of the gnome desktop with a spinning dial.

Same here with me, If I run in failsafe mode it works fine (bt the same goes for the nouvau driver as well. I have reinstalled cleanly three times. One for each driver installation… still a no-go.

One thing I noticed for me was, that while the nv injector did work from the get-go, the nvidia drivers did. They seem to have conflict when something in compiz is configured. I recognized this in that when configuring my desktop I would reboot after several modification using the CCSM. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that there is a conflict there… but man, I want to use compiz!

thanks for any help there may be on this.

I am struggling with opensuse11.4+compiz+gnome+nvidia as well… Again!! I had a long lasting peace with this quartet during my 11.3 experience, but now is cumbersome again. Why? I know you guys do your best, but issues with compiz are constant for so long and it seems to get worse each new release. I am not a linux developer, but an experienced user (10years) and so far, if my opinion counts something for novel, 11.4 has been a disappointment. It is getting hard to find arguments against the less knowledgeable who insist on merchandising Ubuntu to me… which I would only install on my kids laptop. I really don’t need the effects to work, but I got used to them and if i cant reproduce the environment I had in opensuse 11.3 i will downgrade back to it… shame.
I have tried every single package combination possible butmaybe I am missing something important. Any help would be much appreciated:

I tried nouveau and nvidia dirvers. Tried the distributed compiz and the compiz-fusion from the website. I get the effects to work, all of them and all the configurations possible too. But then THINGS start to happen:

1. The ring-switcher will start glitching cairo-dock. With compiz-fusion this do not happen, but main menu disappears and the desktop freezes eventually.
  2. the cursor disappears in firefox as does parts of web pages until i scroll them down and back.
  3. resizing windows are ugly and moving them is far from smooth.
    I checked and composite is enabled, nvidia-settings recognizes my card GeForce-GTS240.
    The command ‘compiz --replace’ do not work. I haven’t tried ‘compiz --replace cpp &’ as suggested yet. I this ‘trick’ works fine in my laptop-opensuse11.3, but never needed to reload compiz in my desktop where i installed now 11.4.