Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.4 install unreadable video

Default 11.4 install unreadable video

Hey All,

Just did a new install of 11.4 over top of my 11.3 and when I reboot into the OS it seems to boot just fine but the video is unreadable. When I boot into the failsafe the screen has a lot of gitter and the monitor tells me it's not in preferred mode of 1680x1050 at 60hz. All resolutions higher thatn 1280x1024 are unreadable. Tried booting nomodeset as I've read previous ... no luck. Any idea how I can fix this? I'm still learning linux.

Cheers!

Mike

Default Re: 11.4 install unreadable video

Give us a clue then. What video card/chip make & model? KDE or Gnome?

oh ... and my machine is:

AMD Quad Core
    MSI Motherboard with onboard NVIDIA MCP61P (6150SE)
    2Gig of RAM
    Samsung Synchmaster T220 Monitor

and KDE ..

Have you installed the NVIDA driver? Do you know which driver that is currently loading? How did you do the Upgrade?

I got the problem too.

AMD CPU, nVidia graphics

After package installation (either upgrade or full install), initial booting gets me garbage on screen.

I'm looking forward to seeing this issue resolved.

Some more detailed information:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
    Video: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Like Mike, my monitor is 1680x1050. Unlike Mike, I use gnome, not KDE.

During the initial selection of packages to install, is it possible to install the nVidia driver? Or if possible, would that even make a difference?

That appears to be an old chip and you both have it. But apparently newer main boards, judging by the CPU's, which confuses me. The support for chips prior to 6200's seems to be spotty. If it will not boot with the nomodeset parameter It can get complicated to find a bootable solution. The absolutely simplest solution is to disable that on board chip and install a newer card.

@gogalthorp
    But that's not really a solution.
    ...Why do I need the latest hardware to run linux when linux started on old hardware!
    All my older nvidia systems have the same problem which is frustrating to say the least.

As a solution for the Original posters, try booting in either failsafe or single user mode and then add the nvidia drivers with yast>software.
    If you are upgrading from a working 11.3, first backup the /etc/X11/xorg* files and directories and then copy them back after upgrading.
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    (How to ask questions)

Well there seems to be a lot of issues with the 6200 - 6000 cards/chips. I run a 6800+ card and I have had no problems. What surprises me is the old chip on apparently more modern boards based upon the listed processors. Also if you can't boot in failsafe or nomodeset does not work it means you need to boot to a Linux cd and start editing the files by hand. Now I'd have no problem with that but a new user sure would. I just suggest the very easiest solution to getting a running system. Time taken to do this could be huge. On a time cost it is easier to get a card you know that will work then try to make one work that won't even boot with the simple drivers. Though it certainly can be done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast