Thread: If switching from Ubuntu, will it be harder to record to audacity through line in? export to mp3?

Default If switching from Ubuntu, will it be harder to record to audacity through line in? export to mp3?

I'm running Ubuntu (gnome) but am contemplating a change to OSuse (KDE) because of the move to unity. A NECESSARY feature is the ability to record to Audacity fromthe line in and export to mp3. When pulse audio was first introduced, I couldn't get the line in to work. Now its basically plug and record. Getting MP3 export to work is as easy as downloading the restricted extras - everything was automatic. If I switch to Opensuse and use KDE, will it be different and/or more difficult?

Default Re: If switching from Ubuntu, will it be harder to record to audacity through line in? export to mp3

This is straight forward with OpenSuse.

The multimedia extras (for OpenSuse) are provided through Packman - so you would need to install the version of Audacity from there (as the Audacity version provided through OpenSuse does not include mp3 support).

A very good guide is here:-

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Exclamation Re: If switching from Ubuntu, will it be harder to record to audacity through line in? export to mp3

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    It may be done simpler, in one click:
    Restricted formats/11.4 - openSUSE Community Wiki