Thread: Backup with Yast does not name the files as expected

Default Backup with Yast does not name the files as expected

hi there,

i was wondering where the admin forum is. hope it is ok to post this here.

When i create a backup with yast using the option to manually create it, i select the file name /mnt/Backup/system-full-$(date +%F).tar which results later on in two files, the xml file and the tar file with different names:

for example
    /mnt/Backup/system-full-2011-03-08.tar, /mnt/Backup/system-full-$(date +%F).xml

this is not acceptable. both files should have the same suffix. Is this the expected behavior or should i report a bug?

What Backup solution could i use instead?

Default Re: Backup with Yast does not name the files as expected

I never used the YaST backup and I do not know if this shell construct should work when you fill it in in a field in a YaST window (after all is there any doc that tells that bash constructs are to function there), but it is at least strange that it is done creating one of the two file names involved.

I see this as a bug, but I am not sure if it should replace the bash construct with the date, or leave it as it is (do not know what the design is). It should be consistent though.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by l1zard View Post
    What Backup solution could i use instead?
    I can highly recommend dar which gets its name from Disk Archiver.

It has a lot of features including archive splitting (useful for backup to DVD), full-differential-incremental backup methods, encryption etc.

It is lightweight and, although mature, undergoing continual development. I have encountered no bugs in using it over several years.

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    Registered Linux user #122512. Desktop Linux user for 17 years.
    Asus Eee 900: 900MHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 12GB SSD, 915GM, openSUSE-current+Tumbleweed
    Home-built Desktop: Athlon II X2 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA, GeForce G210, openSUSE-12.1-x86_64, KDE-4.7.2

While @neildarlow allready pointed you to a solution, I can add there are many (probably more then you want to study/test, thus when one fits your needs, take it).

But first you should make yourself clear what you are making backups for and thus what sort of backups you must make (@neildarlow allready mentioned full vs. differential, but there is also disk backup vs. file backup, etc).
    Henk van Velden

thanks hcvv for you suggestions
    i know how to make backups and what to consider. should i really point out in my signature that i am lpic level 2 certified?

i want to backup the packages i have currently installed and all files which are not belonging to a package or changed within a package without /home /mnt /media /tmp /sys /proc /dev

and not only should the backup work the recovery should also work of course.

That's fine. When you know what you are talking about, you do not need my advice. But it is difficult to assess the level of knowledge of posters and my experience is that about backups there is a lot of misunderstanding.
    Henk van Velden

I would suggest using another backup program than yast, the yast module is quite old and doesn't have many features.

I personally use rdiff-backup for backing up my data to a different disk. The advantage is that the latest snapshot is a full copy so you can restore a single file (or all files) just by copying them from the backup device. All the previous snapshots are stored as a diff so they take less space.

BTW there is a nice GUI for dar called kdar if you want use dar.