Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zypper dup update

Blog Entries

Default openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zypper dup update

For those openSUSE users who plan to do a zypper dup update to openSUSE-11.4, please note the following bug BEFORE you attempt to do an update ! Beware of a nasty BUG when UPGRADING

A nasty bug got into 11.4 between RC2 and GM
    (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=677425). If you do a 'zypper dup',
    it breaks rpm by removing liblzma0. Recovery is quite difficult.

The workaround is quite easy - do a 'zypper up rpm' before the 'zypper dup'.

Although it is too late to fix 11.4 GM, it should be possible to fix the FTP
    sites so that online updates will be OK; however, for safety, use the workaround

Blog Entries

Default re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zypper dup update

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    For those openSUSE users who plan to do a zypper dup update to openSUSE-11.4, please note the following bug BEFORE you attempt to do an update ! Beware of a nasty BUG when UPGRADING
    Note the subject should read:

openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zypper dup update

... unfortunately I can't change the title without breaking the thread for NNTP users.

Default Απ: Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupper dup update

Because I will upgrade with zypper dup. I check it now in my laptop maybe this problem exist and if exist I will post here. Anyway Thank you Mr oldcpu for advice.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 42.2||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD PHENOM II X3||AMD RADEON R9 290X
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupper dup update

Since no one has yet to confirm that this works I will - It works, iirc only one file was up'ed by the "zypper up rpm" command and that was the liblzma5 rpm
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Default Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupperdup update

On 2011-03-08 00:06, oldcpu wrote:
    >
    > For those openSUSE users who plan to do a zypper dup update to
    > openSUSE-11.4, please note the following bug BEFORE you attempt to do an
    > update ! 'Beware of a nasty BUG when UPGRADING'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/4l2mqpg)

There is a work around in place now (a change in the ftp servers).

Current info here:

<https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=677425>

There is also a comment that tells how to proceed if you are hit.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupperdup update

I did zypper dup after which gnome boots only in safe mode :-((((((
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    I did zypper dup after which gnome boots only in safe mode :-((((((
    then you have a different issue - this thread is regarding a bug that inhibits rpms from being decompressed and installed

you should post a new thread specific to your problem - might it be a graphics driver problem? did the upgrade (I assume you're now at 11.4) remove but not replace a proprietary driver?
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

created new therad here:- [Help] After zypper dup with following repos

I don't have an external GPU and hence i don't use proprietary drivers
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Default Απ: Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupper dup update

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Because I will upgrade with zypper dup. I check it now in my laptop maybe this problem exist and if exist I will post here. Anyway Thank you Mr oldcpu for advice.
    Yes I have the same problem with zypper dup update. I have a black screen in my laptop.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 42.2||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD PHENOM II X3||AMD RADEON R9 290X
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: openSUSE-11.4 zypper dup bug ! Warning to those doing a zupper dup update

Hmm this is funny because I upgraded using zypper dup and had no issues.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg
    Box: Windows 7 / Windows XP | Intel Dual-Core E5200 | ATI Radeon HD4850 | 4GB RAM
    Lap: openSUSE 13.2 / Windows 7 | Intel U7300 | KDE | Intel GMA 4500 | Asus UL80A | 3GB RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast