Front Audio Mic not working on ASRock N68C-S UCC with 11.4RC2 x86_64

Hi,

I’ve been through the relevant ALSA Documents and tried various snd-hda-intel model= settings.

Audio in general works through the speakers and through headphones when plugged-in but I can’t seem to record from the Front Panel Audio Microphone input.

pavucontrol provides me with a choice of Microphone 1 and Microphone 2 and reducing the sliders to 0 or activating Mute causes the Recording Monitor in Audacity to clear but otherwise it just shows volume slider dependant level of noise.

It looks like the microphone controls are doing something but the correct source isn’t being selected. Poking around with alsamixer -c 0 and changing Front Mic related settings has no effect.

I don’t want to disable pulseaudio because it appears to be doing its work correctly in respect of managing the onboard audio and the HDMI audio of my GeForce G210 graphics card.

I suspect it might be ALSA related and wonder if anyone has this particular motherboard able to record using pulseaudio in 11.4?

Regards,
Neil Darlow

On Thursday 03 Mar 2011 10:36, neildarlow scribbled:

> I don’t want to disable pulseaudio

“Root” has the old kmix volume controls available and so you could try
logging on as “root” and using those controls.

If you want to try this, I suggest you not use “switch user”. I’ve found
this can be a bit of a problem when PulseAudio is enabled.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, UK.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I’ve had no success with getting Front Panel Microphone working so I’ve adopted another solution.

My Plantronics Headset has a USB soundcard module. Attaching this to one of the motherboard USB connectors has enabled me to record successfully. In fact this is probably a better solution in that analog-to-digital (and vice versa) conversion is done away from the motherboard and low-level signal paths are restricted to the headset leads only (not ribbon cables within the system case) giving better noise performance.

I can select the recording and playback sources using pavucontrol although there are some interesting interactions between the various sliders in pavucontrol itself and kmix but a little fiddling with the sliders has produced acceptable settings.

So, not a RESOLVED addition for this topic, more of a WORKAROUND but at least I can now record reliably in openSUSE-11.4RC2.

Regards,
Neil Darlow