Acer Aspire One slow 3D

I have an Acer Aspire One Z5. I installed openSUSE 11.3 32bit. everything seems to work perfect, except the 3D rendering. some flash videos are very slow and my SNES emulator is ridiculously slow (works perfectly on my windows partition).

I read in some sites that some tweaking needs to be done in the xorg.conf file, but have not been able to find what needs to be done!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Could you give the features of graphics card?

From what I have read the Acer Aspire One Z5 can have either the Radeon HD 5770 graphics card or the slower the Intel GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator) X4500HD. If your Acer Aspire one Z5 has either of those, can you advise which. One way to do that is to type in a terminal:

/sbin/lspci -nnk 

And look for the line with VGA in the line. Copy that section (ie the VGA and lines following that are part of that section) and post it here. I suspect it will only be two to four lines.

Also, open up the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log with a text editor, and copy the contents of that file and paste it on the web site SUSE Paste and press ‘create’ and that web site will give you the address where that log file has been copied to. Post here that web-site URL address that you are given so that we can examine the file and possible have a better idea as to what might be wrong.

gussy@linux-zfs4:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27ac] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:015b]
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)
        Kernel driver in use: i915
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

SUSE Paste

any other info?

[quote="“cepiolidus,post:4,topic:62487”]

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)
        Kernel driver in use: i915

SUSE Paste

Thats exactly what is needed. Clearly the Intel i915 driver that comes with openSUSE-11.3 is being used on your Acer One Z5. As to why the 3D rendering and some flash videos are very slow is difficult to say. Some flash videos simply are slow because the web site streams them slowly. Its also possible you have not tuned your multimedia correctly. Take a look at these two links:

the ‘mmcheck’ script is VERY useful to check what you should still install.

But neither of those explain the 3D slowness.

As for the SNES emulator (which you note is ridiculously slow) I have no idea as to what this might be.

Note however that ALL graphic card suppliers provide POOR graphic drivers for Linux in comparison to what they provide for MS-Windows. Its Unfortunately been that way as long as I can remember. So IMHO no matter how much this is tuned, the Linux graphic driver performance will NOT match that of MS-Windows because that performance difference between proprietary Linux and MS-Windows graphic card drivers is a DELIBERATE POLICY of the graphic card providers.

Can you point us to those URLs ?

One thing you could try is the intellegacy video driver. Your openSUSE-11.3 (with the 2.6.34.7-0.5-default kernel) is using the Intel driver which is version 2.12.0 of the Intel driver. Some users have found that the older 2.9.1 Intel driver actually works better !! So you could try that older driver, as it is packaged by openSUSE to help those users.

Assuming you have the rpm xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy-2.9.1-1.9 installed, then you can go to the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf and edit that file such that it looks like:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"

#Driver "radeon"
  Driver "intellegacy"

## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

EndSection

Note I added the line “Intellegacy”.

Then save the change (root permissions needed) restart and test. If that is worse, then remove that line.

EDIT1 : you could also download and burn the openSUSE-11.4 RC2 liveCD and test it. That liveCD has the Intel-2.14.0 graphic driver which ‘may’ be superior to the 2.12.0 driver that comes with openSUSE-11.3.

EDIT2: Some openSUSE graphic card theory here for you: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/438705-opensuse-graphic-card-practical-theory-guide-users.html#post2165620

ok. I tried the legacy driver, and it seems to do just a little better (it might be just an impression). The emulator still sucks! 27 fpm Lousy!

I wanted to try the mmcheck but it seems is not available anywhere, I looked all over for it and could not find it.

Can you post an updated address to download it?

I also understand that for some drivers manufacturers provide better support for windows, and better performance, but the difference between my windows partition and linux on 3d rendering (games and flash videos) is too notorious. We are talking about a SNES emulator. My old Pentium Pro used to run it flawlessly, and running MS Encarta 98 simultaneously. rotfl!

Also, I looked back at the post which I mentioned before, and notice it was quite old! No point bringing it in!

I will wait until 11.4 officially comes out, then I will give it a try!

It is right on the WEB site I referenced : MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

Let me make it more clear. On that web site you see this:
http://thumbnails39.imagebam.com/12133/f8bcbd121321613.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/f8bcbd121321613)
[click on above to get a larger image]

So you click on that, and you get this openSUSE search page.
http://thumbnails13.imagebam.com/12133/f13aa5121321615.jpg](ImageBam)
[click on above to get a larger image]

Select options, and ask to look at all RPMS in different users repositories as I have indicated. Then try agin searching for mmcheck.

It is very important you understand how to do such a search !

Again I have no idea as to what this SNES emulator may be. Is it a DOS program ? Is it an MS-Windows program ? Is it running under wine ? Is it a native Linux program ?

The link you posted is correct, but the search results in the openSUSE database returns with no results. mmcheck seems to be removed from the database.

SNES stands for Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

The programs I am trying are zsnes and uosnes. both are linux native.

cepiolidus wrote:

>
> The link you posted is correct, but the search results in the openSUSE
> database returns with no results. mmcheck seems to be removed from the
> database.
>

I am able to see it. Try with this URL:
http://goo.gl/X9Fxo

Thanks, Andrew
Posted via NNTP (KNode)
openSUSE 11.4 RC2 x86_64, KDE SC 4.6

I just checked. Its there.

I don’t think you even looked at the image I provided you would see you select “Search options” and then check “Include user’s home projects”

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

PLEASE check again!

The above is a link for factory. Here is a link for openSUSE-11.3 :

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

This is really really basic, and it is important that you learn how to do this.

Got it, thanks. everything was fine, except one gstreamer plug in that I can’t install (gstreamer-plugin-bad) But i don’t think it affects the 3D performance.