Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup in linux?

Default Backup in linux?

Dear all
    I have one sata disk of 500GB that I want to use for backing up files from my
    a. windows system
    b. linux system

I would like to know if there is
    1) any program that can periodically do backups into some special compressed file (that can restore everything back after restoring it)

2a) any special filesystem that compresses everything when data is written and 2b) how well this works with files from my ntfs partition

I would like to thank you in advance for you help

Regards
    Alex

Default Re: Backup in linux?

You can use rsync with compression turned on and then set up a cron job using rsync because after the first time, you can set up rsync only to copy differences.

Default Απ: Backup in linux?

Use yast to make backup.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    Dear all
    I have one sata disk of 500GB that I want to use for backing up files from my
    a. windows system
    b. linux system

I would like to know if there is
    1) any program that can periodically do backups into some special compressed file (that can restore everything back after restoring it)

2a) any special filesystem that compresses everything when data is written and 2b) how well this works with files from my ntfs partition

I would like to thank you in advance for you help

Regards
    Alex
    Let's say that I want to backup my /home directory and save it to a file called mybackuptest.ext (.ext== your extension). Can you show me how to make rsync store only the diferences between the previous snapshots? Will overwrite the old mybackuptest.ext with a new one so I will only have one file to save.

Or is the case that I have one file with many 'patches' to apply to get to the most recent version?
    Regards
    Alex

Default Re: Απ: Backup in linux?

Quote Originally Posted by stamostolias View Post
    Use yast to make backup.
    Could you please comment a little bit about the process? I made a new profile and I have to select which folders to include. Which one do you suggest me for?

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Backup in linux?

Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: Απ: Backup in linux?

I use with big satisfactio luckybackup, easy, very configurable very good :-)

I use dar to backup linux partitions. It will do full and incremental backups with compression. It does not backup the MBR or the partition structure. I always label the disks so saving the output of fdisk -l gives me the partition layout. Dar will restore to partitions that are smaller than the original and with a different file system. You need to make sure that you have a bootable cd or dvd that can partition a disk if needed, create and format the partitions and install grub. If you are careful you can even use the system while dar doing its backup. Using a web browser or listening to music should not affect your backup.

For windows I use windows based backup software. For XP I use ntbackup to a samba share followed by gzip for compression. I am still looking for a good solution for windows 7. I am currently cloning windows 7 partitions but I don't like this as it is hardware dependent and the backups (partition images) are not that easy to test. If I have a problem with a disk on a Windows 7 box I may want to replace it with a disk with 4k sectors and I am not sure that that is compatible with a image of a partition on a 512k sector disk.

What ever you do you need to test the restore process. This can be difficult and dangerous if you only have 1 computer with 1 hard disk

On 2011-02-25 12:36, alaios wrote:

> Let's say that I want to backup my /home directory and save it to a
    > file called mybackuptest.ext (.ext== your extension). Can you show me
    > how to make rsync store only the diferences between the previous

No, rsync does not save an archive. It saves the original file extructure,
    file by file, one by one.

backup tools:

amanda
    dar
    rdiff-backup current copy is mirror, older are rdifs
    rsnapshot current copy is mirror, older are hardlinksl
    http://www.dirvish.org/
    pdumpfs (http://0xcc.net/pdumpfs)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

I use rsnapshot for backup.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast