Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Gnome 3 the KDE killer

Default Re: Απ: Re: Will Gnome 3 the KDE killer

There is one thing to keep in mind in my opinion.
    The future of computing does not lay in desktops, it will be rather mobile.
    People will be using tablets or mobile phones for they daily use. Especially with Apple's Ipad that really fired it up.
    So a interface that it easy and functional for small devices and touchscreen will be key.
    Thats why Windows does already have a hard stance with tablets or mobile phones. Its designed to be used with a mouse rather than a finger.

In that regard i am very curious how well Gnome 3 will play out. I do have a high hopes and you do see the same effort with Unity.

Blog Entries

While the future of computing may not lay in desktops, until you can program and develop for the tablet/mobile device ON a tablet/mobile device, the desktop (and thus laptop) will live on.

Kinda like robots can't take over the world, until they can make more robots! Best not kill off humans if that is your only means to "reproduce".
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Default Απ: Re: Απ: Re: Will Gnome 3 the KDE killer

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite
    Kinda like robots can't take over the world, until they can make more robots! Best not kill off humans if that is your only means to "reproduce".
    Then we need our termanator!!
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    While the future of computing may not lay in desktops, until you can program and develop for the tablet/mobile device ON a tablet/mobile device, the desktop (and thus laptop) will live on.

Thas only applies to developers a very small market. The majority is mobile and will be even more in the future.
    It is not that i don't regonize that there are people that will always using a desktop, but this is where its going. Notebooks play already a small role in mobile computing as do netbooks which are overtaking by tablets. As i heart.

15 years ago only a small fraction used a cellphone with its basic features. Now cellphones are in kids backpacks and more are smart or texting phones.
    The invention of notebooks went by without me using one and now tablets are the lastest thing.
    My point is, even if i don't use it, others do and so i really believe that computing as we know it will change and therefore the desktop will change as well. The desktop we know and grew up with requiered you to have a keyboard and a mouse. This might be thing of the past in the future.
    But more importantly, new desktops will emerge that allow people to use just their fingers. So far, Apple and OpenSource have the best working types of desktop that are easy to use with a finger.
    Of course it is not perfect still, but we are just at the beginning.

Default Re: Will Gnome 3 the KDE killer

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post

Now, whether GNOME will "kill" KDE does not really sound like the right question for me. Both KDE and GNOME are open source products free of charge, so this can not be discussed in terms of "market share" or anything like it; an open source product is successful when there are people who contribute their ideas to it, who do all the tedious work of bugfixing, writing manuals and the like - its success most definitely does not depend on the number of people using it. Globally GNOME is already the most used Linux desktop environment, but that does not affect the development of KDE (or LXDE, Fluxbox etc.).
    Nope, don't agree. Also not afriad to answer to the question It looks pretty slick and stays consistent in how it feels over time. Makes it easy to train other people on it. + I think and hope gnome 3 will kill kde, making linux funnel more brain power into a one gui that can be tested and polished.

The more people that use an open source product, the more and greater the talent pool of developers and testers become attracted to and desire to contribute.

I'm talking about demand / supply, really. gropiuskalle sounds really passionate, which is great. But ah, just thinking from the top down.

I don't like Gnome 3 yet. Usability seems to be worse than in every other serious Desktop environment. Mouseclicks and Mouseway needed to manage applications are far too high.

I also don't like them forcing 3D and having JavaScript (ok, you would have this on most desktops anyway) and Python dependencies in base parts. Not even KDE is doing that. But, OK, that may be a little too much based on "religious" ideas from my side.

Maybe Gnome 3 will be the Gnome killer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuddelBob View Post
    I also don't like them forcing 3D ...
    THAT may be my Gnome killer
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Ya, I remember when XP first arrived. People complained how the forced 3D start menu was using up cpu cycles. Haha.

Didn't realize about the forced 3D for gnome. However, I probably could guess why they chose to do so.

I wish they would concentrate more on fixing REAL issues such as the ridiculously bad font support, pitiful dialog inconsistencies, GTK performance issues and the fact that GNOME looks like it was made in 1995 compared to sleek systems like OS X or Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I wish they would concentrate more on fixing REAL issues such as the ridiculously bad font support, pitiful dialog inconsistencies, GTK performance issues and the fact that GNOME looks like it was made in 1995 compared to sleek systems like OS X or Windows 7.
    True. I can agree to that. Nautilus seemed to me always kinda slow. I just blamed Nautilus for that since i had no other explanation.
    Gnome did and does look dated. Its like Mac OS 8 or so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast